Academy ammo

Holsters and firearms-related gear and accessories, reloading equipment & supplies, ammo

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 1

Academy ammo

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Finally found 9mm ammo on the counters of Academy. Limit is three boxes so i bought three, one hundred and fifty round boxes of the Browning 124 gr.
They raised the price about three dollars a box from 28.00 to 31.00. Only about twenty boxes when i got there. I may go back tomorrow for three more.

SQLGeek

Re: Academy ammo

Post by SQLGeek »

Glad you found some. That's not the worst price considering the state of things. I've checked several Academies over the past months and the only thing I have been able to find is .22 LR and some 130 grn FMJ .38 Special.

I'm not quite desperate for 9mm but I've pretty much stopped shooting right now. Once I get the 9mm bullets I'm waiting on, I will be back in business.
Psalm 91:2

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I worked at an Academy during the previous shortage, I think it was when Obama was President, anyway when ammo came in we didn't have to stock the shelves. People just bought it off of the pallets.

flechero

Post by flechero »

striker55 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:16 am I worked at an Academy during the previous shortage, I think it was when Obama was President, anyway when ammo came in we didn't have to stock the shelves. People just bought it off of the pallets.
Yes, yes we did! :lol:

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

My local Academy seems to be getting a fairly steady stream of 9mm, .40, .223. The trick is to be there at 9AM when they open. If you wait until 10, you MAY find a box or two, but not likely. The popular calibers (9mm & .223) are limited to three boxes each. However, those can be 50 round boxes, 100 round boxes, or 200 round boxes. When they get the 500 round boxes, the limit is 1. Couple of days ago they even had .380 range ammo. Some days are better than others, and one day all they had for 9mm was federal HST for $20+ something for a box of 20. Prices do not seem to have moved much. Federal and WWB 9mm range stuff is marked $11.99 for a 50 round box, but they are giving (at least at my store) a 10% discount for military, first responders, and medical personnel so with tax, the OTD price is $11.69 for name brand, brass cased 9mm. Only real increase I have seen in price has been with CCI Mini-Mags which used to be $7.99 per hundred have gone to $8.49 per hundred. However, the only .22 they have had for several days has been .22 shorts.

Personally, I reload (except for carry ammo) for all the calibers I shoot, but I like to keep a few boxes of factory stuff for students who may have had difficulty finding ammo.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

E150GT

Post by E150GT »

I went a few weeks ago looking 7.62x51. Found none. Place was wiped. I'm glad I started buying 9mm last year. I didn't buy any 308 or 7.62 though so I'm screwed. I did find at my local gun shop 350 rounds of lake city 7.62 for $250. I need to go back and see if they have more. Guess I'll have to start shooting my stash of 22lr

strogg

Post by strogg »

E150GT wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:20 am I went a few weeks ago looking 7.62x51. Found none. Place was wiped. I'm glad I started buying 9mm last year. I didn't buy any 308 or 7.62 though so I'm screwed. I did find at my local gun shop 350 rounds of lake city 7.62 for $250. I need to go back and see if they have more. Guess I'll have to start shooting my stash of 22lr
I'm surprised at the 308/7.62 being wiped out. I have the exact opposite experience at other stores. A couple weeks ago, I saw that Cabela's had a glut of Winchester 308 ammo for about $15 per box of 20. They had several thousand rounds sitting on store shelves. Another local gun store I go to regularly also has (and still do) several thousand of both 308 Win and 7.62 NATO for sale, including some cheap Tula for $7.37 per box of 20.

Return to “Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies”