I need help on my eligibility

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SRSheets86
Posts in topic: 3

I need help on my eligibility

Post by SRSheets86 »

Hello all, I just purchased a beretta pistol for christmas and i wanted to get my CHL and im not sure if im eligible. I got a ticket for marijuana paraphernalia in 2009 witch was considered a Class "C" misdameanor. I got the ticket and the DPS officer let me drive away. I have been studying and looking for the same situation kind of thing and I havent been able to find out ANYTHING! I've called a peace officer friend of mine and he said I should be ok since it was considered a Class "C"; but I dont want to try and be denied. If anyone could help me I would sure appreciate it! Thank you from Fort Worth Texas and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I need help on my eligibility

Post by longtooth »

Answered your PM best I could. According to this as long as you know that you know it was a class C then the disqualifyers are class A or B. I dont see a problem. I am not DPS or a lawyer.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by apostate »

It looks like drug paraphernalia can be a Class C or A misdemeanor, or a state jail felony, depending on the circumstances. As longtooth notes, a Class C misdemeanor generally isn't a problem for CHL eligibility. Class A or B misd conviction triggers a 5 year period of ineligibility. Multiples can cause DPS to consider someone "chemically dependent" which is a real problem. Felonies... but I digress.

Bottom line? There are no guarantees, but one Class C misdemeanor conviction related to drugs or alcohol is unlikely to be an issue.

Merry Christmas. Go, and sin no more. ;-)

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

If this Class C Misdemeanor is the worst thing you have going on in your background, you are good to go!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
SRSheets86

Post by SRSheets86 »

Geeze am I nervous! I just sent the state my application. I have my class next weekend. I wish I could get a for sure answer. I guess I'll find out sometime. I wish I wouldn't have made those mistakes in the first place. Looking at the rules I should be ok but I really don't want to lose 140 bucks!! I got a DUI minor back in Jan 2007 it was also a class C. I disclosed it on my criminal history because it was an arrest. Any suggestions there? Reading the rules; the only class c that affects anything is disorderly conduct. Anyone disagree? I had no problems purchasing my Beretta 92fs from Academy. It only took about 5 min for them to approve me. Should I be alright? Somebody help me! I don't want to lose anymore hair than I already have!!! Thanks!

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

You are correct. The only Class C Misdemeanor that can affect your CHL eligibility is disorderly conduct. Don't lose any more sleep over this. You are good to go.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
SRSheets86

Post by SRSheets86 »

Well my CHL is in the mail. Seemed like it took FOREVER to have the online site update the status of background check! Thanks for the help with my questions though. Should recieve it either today or tomorrow. Thanks again!!

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”