Why online application before CHL class?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
r_gray
Posts in topic: 2

Why online application before CHL class?

Post by r_gray »

Hello all,

I've been told that doing the online application before the CHL class speeds up the process. Is there any reason this is true besides getting the background checks kicked off earlier? Does waiting until after the class result in more paperwork, any other hassles??

Thanks,
Robert

JustMe

Re: Why online application before CHL class?

Post by JustMe »

The background checks won't start until everything is there. One thing about going online ahead of the class is that you get a file started--get a number--AND you get a checklist of what else you need to send to complete the process

me
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

Justme is correct. Background check will not start til all paperwork is in. The time saved will be from class until you get your fingerprints done.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

I even got the fingerprints done ahead of the class. AND based on the advice of the girl working at L1--I mailed a copy of the receipt she gave me with my packet of information. She told me that it sometimes takes a week to 10 days for all the L1 prints matched up with the DPS record and that if your other paperwork got there before the fingerprints, then you would get the letter saying they still needed them. By sending a copy of the receipt, they kow you have already done it. When mine came up showing received, it also shows fingerprints received also
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Thank you. That I did not know.
See you can teach the teacher something.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
r_gray

Post by r_gray »

Thanks you guys. I'll let you know how things go on Sunday.

My printer is broken, do they give out a copy of the Tx CHL laws? It's over 60 pages or so. I don't think I'll have a printer by then.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

I dont know anyone that still gives them away. DPS charges us $5.00 for them. You may get one from an Instructor that covers the cost in his fee.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

r_gray wrote:Thanks you guys. I'll let you know how things go on Sunday.

My printer is broken, do they give out a copy of the Tx CHL laws? It's over 60 pages or so. I don't think I'll have a printer by then.
It depends on the instructor. Some do some don't. The State does not give out the CHL-16 any longer they charge $5.00 per copy. Many just download and print their own.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

Submitting the online application before class also allows you to ask the instructor about any of the items on the checklist that you get at the end of the application.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I've also notice it seems to help the students to be motivated to turn their stuff in. If they wait to apply until after the class the get the "round tuits" and I've had a number of panicked calls trying to figure out how to get their packet in before the year is up.

Not pervasive but enough to notice.

goamerishield

Post by goamerishield »

Definitely do the online application - no need for notaries. Remember if you live in or near Austin you can drop off your hard copy and fingerprints to the DPS Regulatory office near Highland Mall.
Texas CHL Instructor
US Army RET, Infantry, 1988 - 2009

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

goamerishield wrote:Definitely do the online application - no need for notaries. Remember if you live in or near Austin you can drop off your hard copy and fingerprints to the DPS Regulatory office near Highland Mall.
Where did you get this information? We were told at our instructor class that DPS did not accept drop-offs. And with the requirement that fingerprints be taken electronically and submitted by L-1, I don't see how you can drop-off fingerprints.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

firediver

Post by firediver »

I took my class first, online application a week later and set up an appointment with L-1 at the same time, fingerprints and forms mailed 5 days later normal mail Jan. 31, DPS site updated Feb 17 all forms revieved background check underreview. Pretty quick and painless so far!! :mrgreen:
M&P 357sig
Glock 32 357sig

goamerishield

Post by goamerishield »

It is not a publicized drop off location. It is in the DPS regulatory office on Denson. It's the same location where they hold the Manager's exam for the private security companies. We own a private security agency and drop off our employee license applications there and right next to our drop box is a drop box for CHL applications. I've done this personally several times and know it to be a fact.
Texas CHL Instructor

goamerishield

Post by goamerishield »

You are correct about fingerprints - I confused that with our employee packets. They require those electronically - even our employees do them through L-1. We include a copy in our employee packets. Sorry for the confusion!
Texas CHL Instructor

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”