Drones

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

MadMonkey
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Drones

Post by MadMonkey »

oohrah wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:39 am
nightmare69 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:05 am
oohrah wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:10 am
Archery1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 am
oohrah wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:33 am
KC5AV wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:09 am And registration is only required if the drone is over 250 grams. The Mavic mini comes in a 249 grams.
But don't you still have to comply with the airspace and altitude rules? And how do you know those if you're flying an unlicensed drone.

As a pilot, I'm concerned about ignorant drone flyers causing a hazard if they fly too high or get in the wrong airspace. There have been reported incidents of near misses and possibly even a few collisions.
My Mavic firmware updates constantly, and the app identifies flying zones by color code and warnings, and I believe in some areas will limit operation in no-fly zones (never been in those zones). Still, I have helicopters fly over at well below my elevation limit (35 miles from airport). Sometimes, a local crop duster does his turnarounds over my property. You typically get enough visual warning in those cases.
That's good to know, thanks. I assume your software then restricts your altitude, etc.

WRT helicopters, they do not have the same altitude restrictions as fixed wing, and over "sparsely populated areas", any aircraft can fly as low as it wants, as long as it stays at least 500 ft from any person or thing. Not smart, but legal.
My DJI is restricted to 500 meters by the software. I am looking into hacking my drone so I can use it to it’s full potential. Videos I’ve seen they will go 12k-13k ft before loosing connection and returning to home. I see the restrictions as buying a Ferrari and the factory limiting it to 80mph. I want the training wheels off.
Yet, isn't that illegal (and irresponsible) - unless you can find a building 12.000 ft tall.
Pfft. I'm flying one at 6,500 feet as we speak.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Then you must be in the mountains at an elevation of 6,100 ft.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

MadMonkey wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:42 pm .......

Pfft. I'm flying one at 6,500 feet as we speak.
Legally?
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

nightmare69 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:01 am
oohrah wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:01 am
nightmare69 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:16 am As a drone hobbyists and Texas LEO, no you cannot shoot down a drone. You own the property not the airspace above it. Now if someone is flying 15ft above your backyard looking around your property, call the police. If I’m flying 200ft above I assure you my camera zoom isn’t like that of a military predator drone even though my DJI Mavic is a $1k drone.
I know drones have to be registered with the FAA. Do you also have to have a Part 107 license, or is that just for commercial?
You only need a 107 if you’re using your drone to make money as in areal mapping for a surveyor. I fly under the “Hobbyist“ classification. You just need to register your drone with the FAA and have fun.
Hmm, can't find it at the moment but I know I've read that any use that appears commercial, even if not compensated for it, is forbidden for a recreational user. Example given was taking a video for your own business's web site.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

jmorris wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:16 amHmm, can't find it at the moment but I know I've read that any use that appears commercial, even if not compensated for it, is forbidden for a recreational user. Example given was taking a video for your own business's web site.
As I understand it, it is not activity that appears commercial, but activity that is commercially related whether compensate or not. So taking a video for use on a business web site is commercially related even if you are not being directly compensated for it. Taking a video for you own personal use is hobbyist. And the gray area but presumably will be commercial is if you take a video for you personal youtube channel, especially if you get ad revenue from the channel.
Steve Rothstein

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

oohrah wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:46 am Then you must be in the mountains at an elevation of 6,100 ft.
Closer to 5,000 ;-)

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

MadMonkey wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:04 pm
oohrah wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:46 am Then you must be in the mountains at an elevation of 6,100 ft.
Closer to 5,000 ;-)
If you are flying aa UAS around 6,500 feet ASL with an elevation of approximately 5,000 feet you must be flying illegally, with a waiver of some sort, flying a high end government bird, or something else is going on.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

G.A. Heath wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:09 am
Closer to 5,000 ;-)
If you are flying aa UAS around 6,500 feet ASL with an elevation of approximately 5,000 feet you must be flying illegally, with a waiver of some sort, flying a high end government bird, or something else is going on.
Simulator?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Closer to 5,000 ;-)
Lemme guess - you're TDY at Creech AFB.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Close. I'm contracting in Afghanistan right now ;-)

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”