Texan traveling to New Mexico.

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
big454
Posts in topic: 2

Texan traveling to New Mexico.

Post by big454 »

Is there anything I need to be careful with? I know they honor Texas's permit but want to make sure I don't unintentionally violate any rules/laws. I think there is a BP check point that has re-opened, how do I approach that? First time carrying out of state here. Thanks :patriot:
Ignorance is rampant in this part of Texas. I managed to shake it off and I am a firm believer of 2nd Amendment rights

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Texan traveling to New Mexico.

Post by WTR »

I pass through Border Patrol check points quite often. All I have ever been asked is what my Citizenship is. Never been asked for ID. Never have been asked about a weapon. Never have had Mexican friends asked for ID once they had pronounced they are US Citizens. Don’t carry on an Indian reservation and only one weapon is allowed to be carried.

Weldonjr2001
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Weldonjr2001 »

A big difference from Texas carry law is that in New Mexico you can only carry ONE pistol. At a time that is. I found this out when researching state laws for a trip to Utah.

I always have a primary carry and a pocket pistol in the left front pocket. Okay in Texas, Colorado, and Utah, but had to remove the pocket gun for the trip through New Mexico.

Topic author
big454
Posts in topic: 2

Post by big454 »

Thanks guys, also one last question. I would assume that we can carry concealed as we have a Texas LTC right?
Ignorance is rampant in this part of Texas. I managed to shake it off and I am a firm believer of 2nd Amendment rights

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

big454 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:46 am Thanks guys, also one last question. I would assume that we can carry concealed as we have a Texas LTC right?
Yes

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

http://handgunlaw.us/

NM: (click will open PDF) http://handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf

1. Zero alcohol allowed (TX standard is impaired)
2. OC is legal, with limitations
3. Carry in restaurants that serve alcohol is ok, unless >60% (TX is 50%) of revenue is from alcohol sales.
4. Tribal land is off limits, but it is my understanding that driving on a highway through tribal land will not get you in trouble (FOPA?).
5. Any "no gun" sign is valid.... no special sign required.

I am not a lawyer. This is my OPINION, not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

big454 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:46 am Thanks guys, also one last question. I would assume that we can carry concealed as we have a Texas LTC right?
https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf Read all of this.

Yes, NM recognizes your Texas LTC, but you can only carry ONE concealed handgun. You can carry many openly, but only one concealed. New Mexico Administrative Code 10.8.2.16. A. Carrying only handguns listed on license. No person shall carry a concealed handgun of a different category or higher caliber than is indicated on the license issued to that person by the department. A licensee shall only carry one concealed handgun at any given time.
http://164.64.110.134/parts/title10/10.008.0002.html

No 30.06 or 30.07. Any sign works.

No 51%. Your LTC allows you to carry in establishments not licensed for on site comsumption or restaurants with less than 60% total alcohol sales, unless posted or you are verbally instructed. NMSA 30-7-3A(4).
https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/new ... tes_30-7-3
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I just came back from spending a month in northern New Mexico. Here are some interesting things from my experience

1. One restaurant and a no guns sign in the window. They would put it up and take it down, seemingly on a whim. It was 8.5x11 size and was really hard to see as a no guns sign.
2. A grocery store has had conflicting signs for years Before, they had a "no concealed carry" sign but that was amended by later New Mexico law to have that same sign have an exception for licenses. Their version did not have the update. This year they had the updated sign but on another entrance to the same building had a no guns sign. This place sold liquor and also had the correct signs allowing licensed carry over the booze area. To say that it is hard to figure out the right path would be an understatement.
3. it is not always easy to understand where tribal land starts and stops. I took the approach that if my gun stayed in my car while I was traveling, as long as a stop was brief for gas, etc, I was OK. The only law enforcement coverage in the area, in additional to whatever the tribe might provide, was the NM State Police. I made sure that I stayed within the speed limits.
4. I've been going to this same area for 5 years. While one of the local guys says that there are local ranchers who OC, I've never see it anywhere. I was not going to be the first. We also go to a fairly nearby area in Colorado and I have seen OC there. I decided that I would not.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

NM basically has Constitutional Open Carry with a few exceptions. You do need to be licensed to Conceal Carry.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Indian tribal lands have no criminal jurisdiction over non-tribe members so the law generally defaults to the federal or state jurisdiction. So unless the New Mexico State law prohibits carrying on tribal land AND the tribal authorities are granted state police powers (many are), you’re unlikely to have an issue. The tribe may have civil jurisdiction over their territory and could potentially seize your gun. Then good luck getting it back. Caveat viator.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”