VPNs

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

VPNs

Post by WildBill »

I have been using a VPN and when I try to view the website I get a
message that says I am permanently banned. Is there a way to avoid
this other than disconnecting my VPN?
NRA Endowment Member

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Re: VPNs

Post by mrvmax »

I've been using Privacy Pro and I've never had that issue before. I'm curious to see what the computer gurus say.

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

When I use Norton, not only can i not get onto this site, but I can't get my exchange email either. Kinda defeats the purpose of using the VPN when I have to keep turning it on and off :cryin
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

There is more than one type of VPN. The one that you are describing is of the client/server type meant to hide traffic. This explanation does not apply to a site-to-site VPN which we recently discussed in a separate thread.

You VPN service has an entry node and an exit node. The entry node is the server that you connect to. The exit node is the one that communicates on your behalf with the final destination. The service may or may not route your traffic through multiple nodes between the entry node and exit node, in order to better disguise where it come from.

The exit node might be anywhere in the world. VPN's frequently use exit nodes in foreign countries so as to avoid US jurisdiction. This forum blocks a lot of foreign IP addresses. I have been blocked myself while I was in Europe. I had to use a VPN to get back to the US to use this forum from Denmark. You are being blocked here most likely because your VPN service is using a foreign exit node.

It is easy to see where your traffic is being routed. With your VPN enabled, go to:
https://speedtest.net
It will tell you the location your connection is coming from. BTW, avoid the dot com domain by the same name. It is infected with malware.

Some VPN providers allow you to choose the country of your exit node. If yours does, you can select a US site and not get blocked. You do not have the same degree of privacy if you do so.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

When I had a heavy international travel schedule in my last job, I used VPNs often. I found this same issue happened to me on a recurring basis. A quick note to the mods will usually resolve it.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Very interesting that I just upgraded my VPN software to a newer version and now I can log in
to the forum without any problem.
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My VPN (NordVPN) let’s me on here if I’m using a Texas IP address. But if I pick a New a York IP, I get a message saying that my IP has been banned.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

I don't get the same luxury. No matter what city, state, or country I use. I suspect the VPN servers are well known and IT security professionals try to ban activity coming from them due to spam and malicious activity emanating from those servers.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

I never had an issue with the VPN until now after it has come back online. I use PIA, Private Internet Access as my VPN provider. I read this thread and saw the suggestion of connecting via a stateside server so I tried that however, that didn't work either.

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not but I can't use the forum if I connect via my VPN.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”