WTS: “JM” stamped Marlin 1895G .45-70 Guide Gun

Items listed for over one month, or that were sold are listed here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 18

WTS: “JM” stamped Marlin 1895G .45-70 Guide Gun

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Gentle people, I have met my match. I have the following rifle for sale, which I purchased from another forum member less than a year ago. He was the original owner.

The rifle is a used, in ‘like new’ condition Marlin 1895G Guide Gun, chambered in .45-70. The gun has been beautifully maintained and has a very low round count. The original owner put 48 rounds down the barrel, and I have fired another 14 rounds through it, for a total of 62 rounds fired.

The serial # indicates that it was manufactured in 2006, which is consistent with what the original owner told me, and which predates Remington’s controversial acquisition of Marlin. The barrel is “JM” stamped (see pictures below), and it was manufactured on the old Marlin production line in North Haven, Connecticut.

The wood is in beautiful condition, without any dings or scratches, and it retains all of the factory original finish. The checkering is sharp and neatly cut. The rubber recoil pad is still soft. The metal work is likewise clean, free of scratches or other damage, and the bluing is deep and consistent, and free of any signs of rust. The bore is in great condition. I superficially cleaned the bore with a bore snake and some CLP after my last range trip with the rifle (9 rounds fired, and I gave up), lightly oiled the action, and wiped the gun down; but I have not had it apart for a deep cleaning. On the other hand, it doesn’t seem to need one just yet.

The rifle is for sale as is (see pictures below), and this is a package deal. I will not sell the rifle separately from the ammo (listed below), because the ammo is of no use to me without the rifle.

Included in the sale with the rifle itself:
  • A Williams WGRS-336 rear receiver-mounted peep sight - $32.60 from Amazon.com. This sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation, and will accept different sizes of apertures.
  • Fiberoptic front sight, higher than standard to accommodate receiver mounted rear sight - $30 on E-bay.
  • Extra front sight light pipes in green, red, orange, and blue.
  • The original “brass bead” front sight that came on the rifle.
  • The OEM receiver “plug” screws to plug the holes if you remove the rear peep sight. (I left the OEM “buckhorn” sight mounted on the barrel, since I wasn’t committed yet to the receiver peep sight.)
  • AMMO, total value of $267.37:
    • Remington Express RIFLE, 405 grain Soft Point (For Use in All .45-70 rifles): 28 unfired rounds, and 12 once-fired brass, $43.99/box of 20 at Cabela’s. That’s $2.20/round, or $61.59 worth of unfired ammo.
    • Winchester SuperX 300 grain Jacketed Hollowpoint: 33 unfired rounds, and 27 once-fired brass, $41.99/box of 20 at Cabela’s. That’s $2.10/round, or $69.28 worth of unfired ammo.
    • Hornady LeveRevolution, 325 grain FTX, 40 unfired rounds, $37.99/box of 20 at Cabela’s. That’s $75.98 worth of unfired ammo.
    • Buffalo Bore 45-70 “Magnum” 350 grain. JFN “penetrator”: 17 unfired rounds, and 23 once-fired brass, $71.24/box of 20 direct from Buffalo Bore. That’s $3.56/round, or $60.52 of unfired ammo.
I am asking $900 for the whole package. If you subtract the $267 for the ammo, you’re paying just $633 for the rifle, which is a smoking deal. But again, I will not separate the package, as I’ve no use for the ammo or any parts without the rifle itself. PREFER FTF DFW, but will drive for a little ways to meet you for a transfer. Prefer not to ship, as I have no control over the condition it arrives in. Would like to see your LTC. Will provide bill of sale upon request.

Here are some pictures of the rifle:

FRONT SIGHT:

REAR SIGHT:

OEM REAR SIGHT STILL MOUNTED:

OEM REAR SIGHT, IN FOLDED DOWN POSITION:

BUTTSTOCK:

THAT’S JUST LIGHT REFLECTING ON THE STOCK, NOT A SCRATCH:

FOREEND (I didn’t get zoomed out pics of the other side, but it’s just as nice):

RIGHT SIDE OF RECEIVER (Please note, that’s a dog hair, not a scratch, under the safety button. Also, lighting is poor, but bluing is a nice deep shiny black):

MARLIN BARREL MARKS:

“JM” BARREL STAMP:

EXTRA LIGHT PIPES FOR FRONT SIGHT:

INCLUDED OEM FRONT SIGHT:

INCLUDED "PLUG SCREWS" FOR RECEIVER TOP, IF REAR SIGHT REMOVED:

REMINGTON EXPRESS .45-70 RIFLE AMMUNITION:

WINCHESTER SUPER-X .45-70 RIFLE AMMUNITION:

HORNADY LEVEREVOLUTION FTX .45-70 RIFLE AMMUNITION:

BUFFALO BORE "MAGNUM" .45-70 RIFLE AMMUNITION:

I’m kind of disappointed that I have to let this one go. It’s a beautiful rifle, and solidly built. None of that “Remlin” nonsense I suffered with my .30-30. But I’m just getting too old and creaky for the caliber. I’d keep it for my son, but he has no interest in it, so it’s got to go.

PM me if interested.

(EDITED TO ADD A FEW MORE PICTURES)
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Re: WTS: “JM” stamped Marlin 1895G .45-70 Guide Gun

Post by Pawpaw »

TAM, if you would put a cylinder of those full-house .357 magnums through your scandium snubbie first, I'm sure that .45-70 recoil wouldn't bother you as much. :biggrinjester:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txhighlander »

I would love it to replace the one I sold years ago that I should not have. Be that as it may the timing could not be worst. May it find a great home.
Truth against the world

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RottenApple »

TAM, I both love you and hate you right now. I've wanted a .45-70 for years and this one's a beaut. But sadly, I can't afford it.

Seriously though, my friend, good luck with the sale.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

TAM,

Beautiful rifle. I don't shoot the caliber, eventhough my wife has a H&H single shot Buffalo with 34'" barrel. I have the reloading dies but I did not reload it for it either.

I am out of my free floated fun gun fund. Today's is my wife's birthday and I got grief for the 3rd firearm purchase in a month.
If it is not sold in month or so, my my free floated fun gun fund would start floating again, so I would be game.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Pawpaw wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:59 pm TAM, if you would put a cylinder of those full-house .357 magnums through your scandium snubbie first, I'm sure that .45-70 recoil wouldn't bother you as much. :biggrinjester:
You’re a sadist, Pawpaw, but I’m not dumb enough to do that again. I wondered if anyone would pick up on my choice of words in the opening sentence. I almost ended that sentence with a “....again.” :lol: But if you’d like to know what that feels like, you should buy this rifle. ;-)
RottenApple wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:43 pm TAM, I both love you and hate you right now. I've wanted a .45-70 for years and this one's a beaut. But sadly, I can't afford it.
I know that feeling well. I will pray that you can afford it soon. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SQLGeek »

TAM what are you doing to me?

I have been saving for a .44 Magnum, knowing I want to add a .45-70 to the arsenal at some point and you go and post this. With the sight upgrades that I would make to it. :lol:

Going to have to think on this one. I have a feeling you're gonna get me in trouble.
Psalm 91:2

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Dang It, I've been looking at a Henry 44 Mag, and now TAM posts this. I love lever action rifles too. Time to count the change in the change jar.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

I added a few more pics, showing small parts and ammo included in the sale.

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

This is a great example of the quality Marlin lever guns prior to the Remington takeover. It is in beautiful condition by the photos. I viewed he photos of this rifle when TAM was cosidering it and it's still in excellent shape. I already have a Marlin .444, but if I didn't this .45-70 would be one I'd snap up.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:37 amBut if you’d like to know what that feels like, you should buy this rifle. ;-)
I would love to. Unfortunately. right now I'm so broke I can't even pay... attention. :???:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

BUMP

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Pawpaw wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:43 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:37 amBut if you’d like to know what that feels like, you should buy this rifle. ;-)
I would love to. Unfortunately. right now I'm so broke I can't even pay... attention. :???:
I'm so broke I can't afford the steam off a free hot dog!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

puma guy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:49 pm
Pawpaw wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:43 pm
I'm so broke I can't afford the steam off a free hot dog!
If a trip around the world cost a quarter, I couldn't afford to get out of sight. :lol:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Bumpity bump bump.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Closed Items”