About to submit my ATF form 7CR

FFL's post your location, contact information and transfer fees

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Jeffersonian
Posts in topic: 1

About to submit my ATF form 7CR

Post by Jeffersonian »

I am new to Texas and about to apply for my CRFFL. This new ATF form 7CR has in section 14, "applicant certification" where I have to initial a series of 4 statements.

My main concern is the first statement says that activities I will conduct with the license will not be prohibited by state or local law, including zoning ordinances. Is anyone aware of any known prohibitions in Texas, Collin County, or Frisco I should be aware of? I will conduct my own search but was hoping for some feedback from knowledgeable folks. I know this is boiler plate but I don't want to run into any traps. As far as zoning, I've never heard of residential zoning ordinances that would have any impact on collecting.

The thing that really confuses me is statements 2 and 3 of section 14 says you must comply with "State and local laws applicable to the business". When they say "business" on a CR FFL application, do they mean the business of collecting? Conducting business as commerce under a CR FF license is clearly prohibited. In fact, in the instructions, instruction #8 says that if you intend to "engage in the firearms business" you need to submit ATF Form 7. Running a firearms business I can understand how you can run afoul of zoning regulations.

Finally, I am shopping for a home. Are home owner association covenants ever known to try to restrict collecting type activities?

SC1903A3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: About to submit my ATF form 7CR

Post by SC1903A3 »

prohibited by state or local law, including zoning ordinances.
There is no prohibition for collecting in this state. The only zoning prohibition might be with regard to running a business out of your home, however since you won't be running a business don't worry about it.
statements 2 and 3 of section 14 says you must comply with "State and local laws applicable to the business". When they say "business" on a CR FFL application, do they mean the business of collecting? Conducting business as commerce under a CR FF license is clearly prohibited. In fact, in the instructions, instruction #8 says that if you intend to "engage in the firearms business" you need to submit ATF Form 7. Running a firearms business I can understand how you can run afoul of zoning regulations.
The C&R license is not a license to conduct business. You may collect and periodically dispose of firearms for the purpose of enhancing your collection. Example: You buy several M48 Mausers. You keep the best examples and dispose of the rest. Just remember to keep a notebook of your acquisitions and disposals.

separate subject: Don't forget your dear chief letter to the local LEO. Here's an example of the one I wrote when I got my C&R.
Chief Larry Boyd
Irving Police Department
305 North O’Connor Rd
Irving, Texas 75060

Chief Boyd,

Enclosed please find, as per federal regulation, a copy of my ATF Form 8 (5310.11) for the renewal of my Type 03 Collector of Curios And Relics Federal Firearms License. You are not required to take any action with respect to the enclosed form. If I can be of any service, or if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address above. With kindest regards, I remain

Very truly yours,

Return to “FFL Holders”