74+ year old in-laws wanting to get their LTC and new guns

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 74+ year old in-laws wanting to get their LTC and new guns

Post by AF-Odin »

+5 or 6 or whatever we are up to for the EZ. Picked one up at Academy last week in a sale that I think goes through the 23rd for $349 ($20 off their normal). Did not pick it up for myself, but as a teaching/demo gun for classes. It really is easy to rack, recoil is only slightly more than a .22. A bit large for the caliber, but that is what helps reduce the felt recoil. Nice little shooter and has both a thumb safety as well as a grip safety.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:18 pm +5 or 6 or whatever we are up to for the EZ. Picked one up at Academy last week in a sale that I think goes through the 23rd for $349 ($20 off their normal). Did not pick it up for myself, but as a teaching/demo gun for classes. It really is easy to rack, recoil is only slightly more than a .22. A bit large for the caliber, but that is what helps reduce the felt recoil. Nice little shooter and has both a thumb safety as well as a grip safety.
Did yours come with a strong box? Academy.com shows them for $349 with the strong box and $369 without it and without a thumb safety.

Chas.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

The sale price was $349 and it came with the lock box (typical steel box with cable lock), pretty nice S&W First Responder knife, and a S&W hat. Really not a bad deal. They also had 9mm Shields for $349 with an Academy $50 gift card.. The usual caveat "as long as supplies last." Don't know if it is all Academys or just the ones in Central Texas. Was in last Wednesday or Thursday's newspaper ad.

PS: Had a thumb safety
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

The S&W 642 weighs 14.4 oz. The Ruger LCR in .38 special weighs 13.5 oz. My wife refuses to shoot the LCR as she can't handle the recoil and that is not with +p ammo so for sure let them try the 642 first with at minimum regular ammo and maybe +p before you buy. Just because someone is senior doesn't mean they can't handle the big stuff but for sure let them try. My wife loves her 9mm Shield, her Sig320 Romeo and even her Taurus G2 millineum. She can rack and shoot them all but not the Ruger LCR and I bet not the S&W 642.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Although I have never shot a Smith 642, I do have an LCR .38. It does have bit of recoil
with .38 +P, and although the trigger seems OK, the short sight radius with the .1875" barrel
makes accuracy a challenge.

It seems the 642's double action trigger would not be kind to older folks' hands, so I'm a little
surprised that it made the short list.

My brother bought a Shield in 9MM, and although a lot of folks can shoot that one fine, he has metal hardware in his right (dominant) hand, and after 50 rounds his hand and wrist were not in good shape. He considered going down in caliber to a .380 or a .32. I advised him that since his damaged hand is so recoil-sensitive, just go all the way down to a .22. He has since picked up a Ruger SR22 and can put 100 or more rounds through it without a problem.
He really likes it. A .22 isn't everyone's cup of tea for a defensive EDC, but it is surely better than harsh words. :-)

oljames' bride likes her Walther. I think that could be a good one, based on having a good trigger.

So many choices, so many personal preferences, let us know what they get. Whatever they like, and get, will put them miles ahead of having NO GUNS!
Variety is the spice of life.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott in Houston »

Thanks again. The 642 made the short list to demo, but I'm guessing it will likely get eliminated.
My MIL grew up in Kenya. She did a lot of shooting in her youth including very large rifles as well as handguns, so I want to let her at least give it a go.

My money is on the Shield EZ at this point. Since reading this thread, I've gone and read a few articles and a few videos. It seems to be an amazing gun for what it was designed for. The only real complaint is that it has low capacity for its size... well, that's part of what makes it a great shooter (e.i. large size, more weight, for a small caliber)

I'll definitely let you know what they decide.

PS. I expect my father-in-law to get a G19 or something similar. He likes my Glocks. He also really likes my 92FS, but it's not idea for concealed carry. (It's one of my favorite guns too, but so hard to carry compared to a G19, etc.)

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:23 pm Although I have never shot a Smith 642, I do have an LCR .38. It does have bit of recoil
with .38 +P, and although the trigger seems OK, the short sight radius with the .1875" barrel
makes accuracy a challenge.

It seems the 642's double action trigger would not be kind to older folks' hands, so I'm a little
surprised that it made the short list.

My brother bought a Shield in 9MM, and although a lot of folks can shoot that one fine, he has metal hardware in his right (dominant) hand, and after 50 rounds his hand and wrist were not in good shape. He considered going down in caliber to a .380 or a .32. I advised him that since his damaged hand is so recoil-sensitive, just go all the way down to a .22. He has since picked up a Ruger SR22 and can put 100 or more rounds through it without a problem.
He really likes it. A .22 isn't everyone's cup of tea for a defensive EDC, but it is surely better than harsh words. :-)

oljames' bride likes her Walther. I think that could be a good one, based on having a good trigger.

So many choices, so many personal preferences, let us know what they get. Whatever they like, and get, will put them miles ahead of having NO GUNS!
Variety is the spice of life.

SIA
My wife would not practice with her Ruger LCR .38 because of perceived recoil. She tried several handguns at a local gun shop and selected the Walther PPS M2 as the one that best fit her hand and which she was best able to manipulate and shoot. The "right" handgun is very personal.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”