House to car to work to house

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Whitenerj
Posts in topic: 2

House to car to work to house

Post by Whitenerj »

I’m trying to figure out the best way to carry my G19 everyday with me to and from work. My work doesn’t allow guns in the workplace. Right now I have been putting the G19 in the glove box when I get in the car and taking it out when I get home. I would like to wear my holster but getting it off and on when getting to work and leaving seems difficult. What are some better ideas for keeping the gun in the car while at work and being able to carry it back on me quickly?

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: House to car to work to house

Post by Vol Texan »

On-body carry is always better than off-body, even when in a car. Consider if a carjacker gets you away from your vehicle, you'd still rather have it ON you, then IN his possession.

When I have a quick trip, I often switch to my Remora holster. I am not a fan of holsters that fit multiple guns (once size fits many rarely fits any of them well), but the Remora is a great holster. My wife and I have our 'normal' carry holsters, but also have a Remora for every gun in our carry rotation. We like the ones that have a Kydex insert, because it helps the holster hold its shape for easier re-holstering.

If that isn't for you, perhaps a paddle holster of some sort would work out well for you. I'm personally not a fan of them for myself, but lots of folks on here like them because they're easy-on / easy-off.

Once you leave the car, then a car safe or some other type of security container is a must-have.
Last edited by Vol Texan on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Get a gun safe that goes under seat of your car, secures with cable through seat frame. I have one in both our cars. Much better than in the glove box.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

If I am forced to disarm , my weapon goes into a console safe in my truck. I also take my loaded mags. and bullet from the chamber with me. I don’t want to provide any ammunition if someone defeats my safe.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I have a GunVault Nano and just picked up a Vaultek VE10. The Nano Vault is OK especially for the price. But it's a pain to unlock in the dark. Vaultek is pretty slick but you pay for it. I keep it on the passenger side backseat floor in my Lincoln and just cover with the floor mat. It's easy enough to reach around and unlock it.

GunVault Nano Vault

Vaultek VE10

As far as holsters, I've used a Raven and Bravo Concealment IWB holsters with the clips and it's easy enough to take the holster on and off. Just have to readjust the belt for the space that was taken up by the holster. You could also use a Safariland holster with the QLS to simply unsnap the holster.

Let me know if you want to check out either. I might actually be selling the Nano if you are interested.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:25 am GunVault Nano Vault
I have one of these in my truck and suburban. I use them only when I go to a doctor that is posted. I will be using it tomorrow while I am in the doctors. It would stop a “smash and grab,” but it will not stop someone with good set of wire cutters.

MJR

Post by MJR »

Tuffy is a great console safe. Used it for years. Would post picture but can't seem to make it work.

bfm1851

Post by bfm1851 »

I agree with Vol Texan, Find a paddle holster that will work for you when you're driving, maybe an appendix style . There are hundreds out there and for not to much money. This does not have to be used for every day carry, just for driving. A gun in the glove box is not very handy if something goes wrong and not very safe while you're gone.
When you leave the vehicle a small gun safe is a must. Wrap the wire around the seat post. Crooks are looking for a quick and easy steal. Popping a glove box is simple, cutting a steel cable takes too much time.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Whitenerj wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:20 pm ... I would like to wear my holster but getting it off and on when getting to work and leaving seems difficult. ...
I don't know how you dress at work, but I had this thought when reading your post. Why not just wear your holster all day? Does your place of employment ban wearing holsters?

I grew up in an era where school dress codes required boys to tuck their shirt it. I have actually seen teenage boys get paddled for having their shirt tail out. Of course, this became my habit and I ALWAYS tucked in my shirt no matter how I dressed. When I got my CHL went through a rethinking process about that, and decided that wearing my shirt tail out was no longer a stigma of slouchy behavior. So I began to wear my shirt tail out, and guess what, nobody cared. If you can wear your shirt tail out at work, why not just keep your holster on all day and get a lock box for your gun?

Edited to add: There have been several times when a doctor or nurse made a friendly comment to me about my empty holster.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Lynyrd wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:09 am
Whitenerj wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:20 pm ... I would like to wear my holster but getting it off and on when getting to work and leaving seems difficult. ...
I don't know how you dress at work, but I had this thought when reading your post. Why not just wear your holster all day? Does your place of employment ban wearing holsters?

I grew up in an era where school dress codes required boys to tuck their shirt it. I have actually seen teenage boys get paddled for having their shirt tail out. Of course, this became my habit and I ALWAYS tucked in my shirt no matter how I dressed. When I got my CHL went through a rethinking process about that, and decided that wearing my shirt tail out was no longer a stigma of slouchy behavior. So I began to wear my shirt tail out, and guess what, nobody cared. If you can wear your shirt tail out at work, why not just keep your holster on all day and get a lock box for your gun?

Edited to add: There have been several times when a doctor or nurse made a friendly comment to me about my empty holster.
:iagree:

If possible, wear your holster and leave your gun in the vehicle. They make "tuckable" IWB holsters that might work even if you need to wear a tucked-in shirt.

If that doesn't work for your situation, then consider getting a snap holster or paddle holster that can easily be taken on and off. That also has the advantage of not having to unholster and re-holster every time you get in and out of your car.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

As Jose_in_Dallas mentioned, I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland ALS holster using the Quick Lock System. The QLS allows me to quickly and easily detach my holstered pistol from my belt. The QLS retains the retention level of the ALS. Safariland also sells a belt clip that is easy to remove.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Whitenerj

Post by Whitenerj »

Lynyrd wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:09 am

Perfect idea. I was just thinking of doing this. At work I always wear a polo shirt untucked. I will just wear the holster all day at work. I just ordered an Aliengear 4.0.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I wear a RDR holster when I know I have to disarm. I service a couple of buildings that get touchy even with an empty holster. I also lock my mags in my tool box on those occasions.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”