EDC knife

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Re: EDC knife

Post by K-Texas »

Ontario is a brand I have considered, and will again. I can't help but wonder if their name confuses folks, so I thought I'd copy and paste the first paragraph concerning their history.

"The beginnings of the Ontario Knife Company are shrouded in the mystery of a fading past. It seems certain that three men – William B. Ensworth, Charles Albert Brace and William Maudsley, were in the picture from the start at Naples, New York, in 1889. The name of the Company derived from Ontario County where Naples was situated. The early knives were manufactured on a waterpower-run grindstone and sold via pushcart through the neighboring countryside."

Here's a link to their site: http://ontarioknife.com/ ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 3

Post by treadlightly »

I've started carrying something silly - a Gerber EAB, which uses a utility blade. I need to replace my lost Benchmade, but I'll keep carrying that silly Gerber.

It's kind of liberating to know you can scrape gum off sidewalks without goofing up something expensive to replace.

It's a little finicky, though. The blade it came with tightens down, but some brands of utility blades rattle a little. Finicky, but handy.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

treadlightly wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:51 pm I've started carrying something silly - a Gerber EAB, which uses a utility blade. I need to replace my lost Benchmade, but I'll keep carrying that silly Gerber.

It's kind of liberating to know you can scrape gum off sidewalks without goofing up something expensive to replace.

It's a little finicky, though. The blade it came with tightens down, but some brands of utility blades rattle a little. Finicky, but handy.
Whatever works. I know the Buck Bantam 286 might sound too good to believe. It is made in the USA from US and Import Parts. That's printed on the same sticker as the bar code. As I mentioned before, Buck does not polish the 3.75" blade to a high gloss. Buck uses 420 steel for many of their knives, but their heat treating process is obviously a good one to take its Rockwell "C" value to 56 -58 and that's hard enough for me. I have never encountered a sharper blade on any knife regardless of type or price. If it has one drawback, its lock-back is quite stiff when new. I worked it and lubed it routinely until recently. That is actually a bonus to me, in the event that you had to stab through something like an attacking dogs skull.

I just checked so that I could add the link and they're on sale at Midway for $21.99 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2163128778

Rather than look at one of their premium blades I should probably buy several at that price! ;-)

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

K-Texas wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 pm Whatever works. I know the Buck Bantam 286 might sound too good to believe. ... on sale at Midway for $21.99 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2163128778

Rather than look at one of their premium blades I should probably buy several at that price! ;-)
I had one of those a few years back, and I agree. They are good knives. I'm going to get something for a nice pocket knife, and I might pick up another one of those - but I like the idea of carrying a small additional junk knife for abusive use.

California knife law still mystifies me, as did San Antonio's former ordinances.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

treadlightly wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:01 am
K-Texas wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 pm Whatever works. I know the Buck Bantam 286 might sound too good to believe. ... on sale at Midway for $21.99 https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2163128778

I had one of those a few years back, and I agree. They are good knives. I'm going to get something for a nice pocket knife, and I might pick up another one of those - but I like the idea of carrying a small additional junk knife for abusive use.

California knife law still mystifies me, as did San Antonio's former ordinances.
22 Bucks is pretty cheap for a good back-up, or general use knife. If I am fortunate enough to take a whitetail next season, I might even use it for the surgery to avoid tainted venison! ;-)

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

K-Texas wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:04 pm Ontario is a brand I have considered, and will again. I can't help but wonder if their name confuses folks, so I thought I'd copy and paste the first paragraph concerning their history.

"The beginnings of the Ontario Knife Company are shrouded in the mystery of a fading past. It seems certain that three men – William B. Ensworth, Charles Albert Brace and William Maudsley, were in the picture from the start at Naples, New York, in 1889. The name of the Company derived from Ontario County where Naples was situated. The early knives were manufactured on a waterpower-run grindstone and sold via pushcart through the neighboring countryside."

I just bought an OKC RAT (original size) to replace a travel folder that TSA managed to lose last week between dfw and phx.
Fantastic lock up. Smooth deployment. Sharp out of the box. AUS8 steel. $27 from Amazon.

Like it a lot.

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:39 pm I just bought an OKC RAT (original size) to replace a travel folder that TSA managed to lose last week between dfw and phx.
Fantastic lock up. Smooth deployment. Sharp out of the box. AUS8 steel. $27 from Amazon.

Like it a lot.

I see that's the same company producing Old Hickory knives - my parents had a set of those when I was a kid. My recollection is they were the best large kitchen knives in the house. Or maybe I just liked the cool name and wood handles.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:39 pm
K-Texas wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:04 pm Ontario is a brand I have considered, and will again. I can't help but wonder if their name confuses folks, so I thought I'd copy and paste the first paragraph concerning their history.

I just bought an OKC RAT (original size) to replace a travel folder that TSA managed to lose last week between dfw and phx.

Like it a lot.

I'd call that a very good deal, particularly for a knife with AUS-8 blade steel. IIRC, it grades 58 - 59 on the Rockwell C scale. Hard enough to keep an edge while not hard to sharpen. That was the case, anyway, for the Spyderco Endura I once owned.

Considering the hiring practices of TSA personnel in the past, reinforced by complaints on a number of occasions, I only hope that lost meant lost, rather than stolen. I haven't flown anywhere since before 911, and glad I haven't had to. ;-)

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by strogg »

There is some great information in this thread. One day, when my current folder gives up on me, I now have some good ideas for a replacement.

My EDC right now is a Benchmade 710 w/ M2HS steel. I bought it about 14 years ago, and it has gone through so much abuse it's not even funny. Heck, one time I was desperate and used it as a can opener. But despite that, it's still in one piece.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

K-Texas wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:24 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:39 pm I just bought an OKC RAT (original size) to replace a travel folder that TSA managed to lose last week between dfw and phx.
Considering the hiring practices of TSA personnel in the past, reinforced by complaints on a number of occasions, I only hope that lost meant lost, rather than stolen. I haven't flown anywhere since before 911, and glad I haven't had to. ;-)
Hard to know for sure... The signature card that was taped to the non-TSA locked gun case inside my bag was clearly handled (did someone try to open the case? Why?), and the mesh pouch where I stowed my flashlight and knife was zipped open (I'm certain it was closed when I checked the bag). The gun and flashlight were still there but no knife. The bag itself had a TSA-compliant lock on it that was still locked when I retrieved the bag in PHX. My gun case is cabled to the internal frame of the bag, so they'd have to steal the whole bag or at least cut the cable to get the gun. I don't know why TSA would need to fondle the knife when it was easily visible through the mesh.

:confused5

AA policy of red-tagging gun bags makes the bags an easy target. The tag is supposed to mean "bring to baggage office" instead of putting it on the carousel. More than half the time it comes out on the carousel, with the big red tag standing out yelling "gun". I've asked a few places and nobody I've asked at AA knows of any other reason for using that tag... :grumble

Thankfully it was just an inexpensive CRKT. The new RAT is definitely an upgrade.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

RoyGBiv wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:07 am
K-Texas wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:24 pm
Hard to know for sure... The signature card that was taped to the non-TSA locked gun case inside my bag was clearly handled (did someone try to open the case? Why?), and the mesh pouch where I stowed my flashlight and knife was zipped open (I'm certain it was closed when I checked the bag). The gun and flashlight were still there but no knife. The bag itself had a TSA-compliant lock on it that was still locked when I retrieved the bag in PHX. My gun case is cabled to the internal frame of the bag, so they'd have to steal the whole bag or at least cut the cable to get the gun. I don't know why TSA would need to fondle the knife when it was easily visible through the mesh.

:confused5

AA policy of red-tagging gun bags makes the bags an easy target. The tag is supposed to mean "bring to baggage office" instead of putting it on the carousel. More than half the time it comes out on the carousel, with the big red tag standing out yelling "gun". I've asked a few places and nobody I've asked at AA knows of any other reason for using that tag... :grumble

Thankfully it was just an inexpensive CRKT. The new RAT is definitely an upgrade.
Kinda sounds like the debacle UPS caused. Identify firearms being shipped, and theft becomes a major issue. One consumers have been paying for ever since! Back when I needed to fly it was most often on AA. I'd have to rethink that today.;-)

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

After fixing a software problem, I am able to access files that weren't available for a while. One of them is a guide for knife steel. I didn't specify that the Buck Bantam 286 has a 420 HC blade which differs from the standard 420. Rockwell C is 58 whereas 420 is 49-53. Did the same thing in mentioning the former Spyderco Endura that had an AUS-8A blade that differs from AUS 8. Either one is a good choice for blade steel. ;-)

E10

Post by E10 »

I really like a lotta stuff marketed by A. G. Russell. My EDC is the Folding Gent's Hunter II https://agrussell.com/knife/A-G-Russell ... GLB-C172 with cocobolo scales. Very smooth action, strong blade that holds its edge, and just a really good-looking, useful knife. Opens one-handed with a flick of the wrist.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

RoyGBiv wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:39 pm

Like it a lot.

I ordered this and have been carrying it for a month. I have put my benchmade through hell and wanted to give it a break. This have been a great knife. Other than missing the one push button open, i have no complaints
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”