Does Kimber suck?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Does Kimber suck?

Post by cmgee67 »

The general consensus on Kimber that I have gathered, is either you love them or hate them. There isn’t much middle ground when I hear people talk about that brand. For the most part it seem their guns are accurate and high quality. Then again I see them needing extensive break ins and sometimes finicky with ammo. For the price point I personally would go with a Springfield or a Ruger. That’s just me. Having only shot one Kimber ever, I will say that it was a great shooter and most accurate. Since I don’t own one and never have, I don’t really have a big dog in the fight of comparing and contrasting. Just my minimal handling and shooting experience with them. I have always thought the raptor was a handsome gun. I think the slide serrations and grip serrations are very cool. Anyways, I would love to hear what experiences you have had or known others to have had with Kimber.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Does Kimber suck?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

cmgee67 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:46 pm The general consensus on Kimber that I have gathered, is either you love them or hate them. There isn’t much middle ground when I hear people talk about that brand. For the most part it seem their guns are accurate and high quality. Then again I see them needing extensive break ins and sometimes finicky with ammo. For the price point I personally would go with a Springfield or a Ruger. That’s just me. Having only shot one Kimber ever, I will say that it was a great shooter and most accurate. Since I don’t own one and never have, I don’t really have a big dog in the fight of comparing and contrasting. Just my minimal handling and shooting experience with them. I have always thought the raptor was a handsome gun. I think the slide serrations and grip serrations are very cool. Anyways, I would love to hear what experiences you have had or known others to have had with Kimber.
I have owned three Kimbers. One in each length. All Raptors. The four inch was persnickety about ammo so I tried a Wilson combat mag in it. No more issues. Overall they were accurate and good shooters. I would likely buy one again.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have two of their bolt action 22 rimfire rifles that I bought new more than 20 years ago and they are great. Some time after Obama was elected (and a couple of years after Kimber changed owners, I bought the Super Carry Pro (4" barrel). Nothing but problems (feeding, ejection, they forgot to stake the plunger tube, finish coming off, etc.). Kimber would not let me send it back until I had 800 rounds through it (they could not believe it was as bad as I said). At 800 rounds, I insisted that it go back. It was so bad that they offered to replace it or refund my money. I took the money and bought a Springfield. I now have the Springfield (TRP) and a Dan Wesson Valkyrie. They are both great pistols. I do know people that have Kimber 45s that they like. I have no idea what the new ones are like now.

abom2

Post by abom2 »

I like Kimbers. Never had any problems. Of course I have only owned or fired the 1911 patterned Kimbers. Then again, I tend to like 1911 patterns. Of course I was started with a 1911 and Colt Military Revolver as a kid, 1911's in the service, and so on.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I’ve had 2 Kimbers and both spent more time at the factory than at my house. I won’t own another one.
However, I know people that have them and never had an issue.
I guess if you get a good one it’s a real good one but if you get a bad one it’s real bad
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

The older Kimbers in my opinion were great, but I would not buy anyone made past 2006.

Call me my friend and I will help you get a real 1911. Wilson’s Combat X Tac. :evil2:

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:33 pm The older Kimbers in my opinion were great, but I would not buy anyone made past 2006.

Call me my friend and I will help you get a real 1911. Wilson’s Combat X Tac. :evil2:

Sorry Carl,
A real 1911 says Colt national match and they are blue in color. :tiphat:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

cheezit wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:39 pm
Sorry Carl,
A real 1911 says Colt national match and they are blue in color. :tiphat:
That is just so wrong my friend. :smilelol5:

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LTUME1978 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:02 pm I have two of their bolt action 22 rimfire rifles that I bought new more than 20 years ago and they are great. Some time after Obama was elected (and a couple of years after Kimber changed owners, I bought the Super Carry Pro (4" barrel). Nothing but problems (feeding, ejection, they forgot to stake the plunger tube, finish coming off, etc.). Kimber would not let me send it back until I had 800 rounds through it (they could not believe it was as bad as I said). At 800 rounds, I insisted that it go back. It was so bad that they offered to replace it or refund my money. I took the money and bought a Springfield. I now have the Springfield (TRP) and a Dan Wesson Valkyrie. They are both great pistols. I do know people that have Kimber 45s that they like. I have no idea what the new ones are like now.
Now that you bring it up, I had forgotten about the 800 round break in. That was what they initially told me to do with my four inch when it wouldn't feed properly. I almost choked when they told me that. Fortunately, buying a couple new magazines corrected the issue. When they told me the 800 round break in period, I asked about the spring replacement recommendation period. I think I also did some buffing on the feed ramp of that gun. They did get on my wrong side with that gun. I forgot all about that mess. It has been more than 10 years ago now. My next .45 purchase may very well be a Colt. I had a series 80 gold cup that never flinched. Not once!

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Personally, I trust a 1911 from the Phillippines more than I would a Kimber.

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

AndyC1911 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:10 pm Personally, I trust a 1911 from the Phillippines more than I would a Kimber.
same here! but i’m biased 😂 (born and raised in the 🇵🇭)
STI Spartan, made by Armscor PH
Attachments
9D5E4860-26B4-4B32-957A-92C2DB708505.jpeg
Last edited by aaangel on Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

AndyC1911 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:10 pm Personally, I trust a 1911 from the Phillippines more than I would a Kimber.
:iagree:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”