Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: S&W CSX

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

flechero wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:09 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:05 pm I don't understand the push for micro-compact self-defense handguns, I really don't. It's the very rare male that cannot carry and conceal at least a Glock 19 size handgun.
Define concealed.
No one knows you have a handgun.

Chas.

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 3

Post by FastCarry »

I mountain bike and dirt bike a lot, and i carry while doing so esp since i spend a lot of time in the woods sitting on top of a 10k bike. For this, or the gym, i prefer a micro compact, easier IWB on shorts on in my camelbak and lighter weight for the bouncing around in rough terrain or on jumps.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Ruark wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:23 am
flechero wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:09 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:05 pm I don't understand the push for micro-compact self-defense handguns, I really don't. It's the very rare male that cannot carry and conceal at least a Glock 19 size handgun.
Define concealed. Where my livelihood is concerned, concealed means no one can find out, ever. Where the law is concerned, I just need to have a piece of fabric over it with little worry if someone figures it out.

We all have very different circumstances. Some of us can carry legally, but risk our job or client contracts if some of the snowflakes found out. If I wore a suit or sport coat I could carry a 1911 every day. But I don't and so I can't. My "uniform" doesn't allow me to adequately conceal a full sized gun. I don't mind a heavy gun, I just can't carry a large gun many days.
Pretty much the same here. I love my Walther P99AS 9mm, but there are many days when I wish I'd kept that SIG P238. If I was just running down the road to grab some milk, it was a blessing being able to just stick it in my pocket holster and walk out the door. The P99 doesn't work very well with shorts and/or a tucked-in shirt (I never wear untucked, unless it's a tropical shirt), and even it's not a full size gun. Of course the tradeoff is capacity and power, and the fact that you need a LOT more practice with a micro.
For me, that's one of the sticking points for NOT buying a tiny little pistol like that. Yes, 9mm has gotten more available, but the prices are still up, and who knows if they'll ever come back down to "reasonable" levels. And that makes it much more difficult to be able to run enough ammo through a tiny pistol to get good with it.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ruark »

K.Mooneyham wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:38 am For me, that's one of the sticking points for NOT buying a tiny little pistol like that. Yes, 9mm has gotten more available, but the prices are still up, and who knows if they'll ever come back down to "reasonable" levels. And that makes it much more difficult to be able to run enough ammo through a tiny pistol to get good with it.
Yeah, true - For example, I'd like to get a P938. But MSRP on the P938 is $949. With tax, that goes up over $1,000. I see them selling in the $700's. A lot of people are just hesitant to spend that kind of money on a 6-round, micro-sized pistol you can't hit the side of a barn with, when they could get a "real" sized gun for considerably less. Heck, Palmetto recently had SIG P2022's for $400. That's a full sized, hand-filling 9mm with 15+ capacity, hammer fired, super accurate, and reliable as a rock. You could buy TWO of them for the cost of that P938. So unless you have gobs of money to blow, it can be a tough call.
-Ruark

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”