Recommended EDC for 70+yo and 120lbs person?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Deitz83
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommended EDC for 70+yo and 120lbs person?

Post by Deitz83 »

I am leaning toward a 22 lr pistol. Can she handle the recoil of a 380? Can she place 3 shots on target under stress? She has limitations with her hands now. What about a year from now. Does she practice often? I feel more comfortable with 5 will placed shots vs 5 shots hitting nothing or someone else. You know her abilities better than I do as will as what her goals are going forward. I noticed older members change from iron sites to red dots, as well as, pistols that the can operate due to limited mobility of their hands.

JRG

Post by JRG »

I put my wife Debbie in the category of not liking nor handling much recoil. None of my 9MM pistols were good for her. We tried several 380's also, no go. After dabbling in 22LR, she liked and now carries an LCP II in 22LR. I would prefer her carrying a bigger caliber, but she is soon to be 68 years old and as long as she carries something, I am happy. Like others have said before, I would not like to be hit by 10 22LR bullets. She also carries a 2nd magazine in her Pistol Packing Mama's EDC purse along with the LCP II in 22LR.

Joe

Topic author
SickSilverado
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SickSilverado »

I've decided to wait on the 380EZ. I'll wait and see if SHE wants to move on from what she has. In our area I'm the only gun dealer letting people try guns first. The nearest gun rental/indoor range is 2 hrs away. I don't have much inventory but I try to cater to the people around me. I order guns people ask me for, but they rarely follow through and buy them. We're scheduled for a session this week, so I'll let her try the 22LR Glock or see if she wants to put a deposit on the 380EZ. I let her try the TX22 Competition, Glock 42, LCPII 380, P320 X5 Legion with RMR...none of them really stood out to her. I'm gonna throw a red dot on the TX22 competition and see what she thinks. I've even looked at options to add a red dot to the 380EZ.
Last edited by SickSilverado on Mon May 30, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

SickSilverado wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:09 pm I've decided to wait on the 380EZ. I'll wait and see if SHE wants to move on from what she has. In our area I'm the only gun dealer letting people try guns first. The nearest gun rental/indoor range is 2 hrs away. I don't have much inventory but I try to cater to the people around me. I order guns people ask me for, but they rarely follow through and buy them. We're scheduled for a session this week, so I'll let her try the 22LR Glock or see if she wants to put a deposit on the 380EZ. I let her try the TX22 Competition, Glock 42, LCPII 380, P320 X5 Legion with RMR...none of them really stood out to her.
Check your PM’s.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Better to hit with a fly swatter than miss with a cannon.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LDB415 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:00 pm Better to hit with a fly swatter than miss with a cannon.
Not if what your hitting is a 6'2" mid twenty's man, bent on your destruction.

Crash

Post by Crash »

I'm another one who would recommend a S&W .380 EZ. I had one and racking, loading the mag, etc., were no problem even though I'm 80 years old.

Crash

P.S. I've since bought the 9mm version and manipulating the slide, loading the magazine, while requiring a little bit more force, really aren't that much more difficult.

varko

Post by varko »

Just a cautionary note on the S&W .380 EZ….

I was in a very similar scenario last year and the S&W .380 EZ was also one of my first suggestions to try. The lady in my case was not able to consistently keep a strong enough grip on the gun to keep the grip safety engaged. I would definitely try one out first before buying, if possible, to be sure she might not have a similar problem.

In the case of .380, another pistol worth checking out is the Walther CCP M2 .380. My wife and two of her friends (including the aforementioned lady) all agreed that as easy as the slide was to rack on the S&W .380 EZ, the Walther CCP was even slightly easier. It was also agreed that the Walther was a bit better on recoil as well.

BTW, please don’t think I’m just trying to hate on S&W. My dad loves his S&W .380 EZ (easy for him to use with his arthritis), and my wife carries an S&W Shield Plus.
And if I were called upon to identify briefly the principal trait of the entire twentieth century, here too, I would be unable to find anything more precise and pithy than to repeat once again: Men have forgotten God. - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

carlson1 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:49 pm
oohrah wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:59 pm My granddaughters both found the S&W EZ 380 easy to shoot.
This is what I think is the best answer. It is the only gun I have found all these years that my wife loves to shoot and carry.
Alternatively, maybe one of those tilt-up action Berettas in a light self defense caliber?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”