For those days when you just can't get to the range

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

For those days when you just can't get to the range

Post by puma guy »

I ordered this back when we were having all the bad weather and rain. It fit the bill for what I was looking for so....
Shoots a little high and right with sighted on center bullseye, but was consistent. The flyer was my first shot getting used to the long trigger pull, I put 10 BB's in the "magazine" but it looked like it would take more. The hammer and slide are all fixed. The grips slide backward with the magazine release button and you put the CO2 cartridge in and then load the BB's on the other side with a spring loaded follower that has a catch to let you drop the ammo into a vertical channel. It has a safety. Target is wadded brown paper packing material with ¾" styrofoam overlay. I angled the sides in case the thing shot weak and wild even though the reviews said it was about 400 fps. I believe it after shooting it.

Image Image

https://www.idpa.com/shop/accessories/i ... ining-kit/
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 2

Re: For those days when you just can't get to the range

Post by Grayling813 »

Nice setup.
I have an Sig Air P229 airsoft for the same purpose. The hammer and slide both work, the magazines refill with “green gas” and the trigger is DA/SA just my Sig P229 9mm.
I made a target trap out of the box our home A/C 20x25 filters come in, utilizing the used filters and plastic grocery bags inside to stop the plastic bb’s.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:00 pm Nice setup.
I have an Sig Air P229 airsoft for the same purpose. The hammer and slide both work, the magazines refill with “green gas” and the trigger is DA/SA just my Sig P229 9mm.
I made a target trap out of the box our home A/C 20x25 filters come in, utilizing the used filters and plastic grocery bags inside to stop the plastic bb’s.
I was looking for something to satisfy punching holes in paper. Your set up sounds like a really good training set up for I assume your carry weapon.
In my younger single days i had Crossman .38 that hat working parts, cylinder and hammer all worked and pellets were loaded in the cylinder. I came up with a better way with my Model 19 Smith shooting wax bullets with primer loaded cases. Then they came out with plastic cartridges and cases to load with just a primer. I can't remember who made them, only that they came in a yellow plastic box and the cartridge cases were yellow and the bullets were red. You could use them over and over.
Back in those days wheel guns were the most popular with there being just a couple of really good choices for semi autos. Some one gave me a 1960 "Complete Guidebook of Handguns" in it Colt, S&W, Browning, Star, Astra and Llama were the majority of choices for a semi auto pistol with Walther and Erma bringing up the rear. I was selling all of those in 1966 at the stored where I worked. The only semi-auto I bought back then was an Argentine Colt licensed 1911, still in the cosmoline and waxed paper for $50. I left with my dad when I moved out and forgot all about it. My older brother took it 30 years later and had it stolen by his soon to be ex-son-in law.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Paladin Introduced me to Airsofts. I have the green gas guns. I have a Glock 19, 1911, and a Beretta 92 of which I carry all at some time or other. I have a real nice place set up in my back yard. Blue barrel, rockers, and a table. When the weather is good and I feel okay outside I go with gun, targets, pellets, gas, tea or Diet Coke and I have myself a time.

It is also a great time with the grandchildren. It is also a terrific opportunity to teach my grandchildren gun safety with hands on.

Thanks Paladin!

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:26 pm Paladin Introduced me to Airsofts. I have the green gas guns. I have a Glock 19, 1911, and a Beretta 92 of which I carry all at some time or other. I have a real nice place set up in my back yard. Blue barrel, rockers, and a table. When the weather is good and I feel okay outside I go with gun, targets, pellets, gas, tea or Diet Coke and I have myself a time.

It is also a great time with the grandchildren. It is also a terrific opportunity to teach my grandchildren gun safety with hands on.

Thanks Paladin!
That's like an awesome way to introduce them to shooting sports. I plan to let my 6 year old grandson take a few shots with my set up. We don't go upstairs anymore and there's have a long hallway that is perfect. I can put pillows around the box for any errant shots, but I'm going to start him very close to the target.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

My boss has grumpily said that she better not find ONE pellet in the house or I would be out back permanently. :smilelol5:

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:26 pm Paladin Introduced me to Airsofts. I have the green gas guns. I have a Glock 19, 1911, and a Beretta 92 of which I carry all at some time or other. I have a real nice place set up in my back yard. Blue barrel, rockers, and a table. When the weather is good and I feel okay outside I go with gun, targets, pellets, gas, tea or Diet Coke and I have myself a time.

Thanks Paladin!
Excellent. Teach your children well.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Grayling813 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:05 pm

Thanks Paladin!
Excellent. Teach your children well.
My younger two love it. Their Dad is a detective and they treat it just like they should as if they are real guns. My 6 year old thinks he is the Range Safety Officer.
:woohoo

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Airguns are affordable, convenient, and can potentially provided training that is difficult or even impossible to do with actual firearms. I shoot my firearms a lot, but my airguns even more.

:txflag:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

Carl, where did you get it? Since my Defender is my main EDC, that looks like a way to play in the back yard.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:10 pm Airguns are affordable, convenient, and can potentially provided training that is difficult or even impossible to do with actual firearms. I shoot my firearms a lot, but my airguns even more.
:cheers2: I have a decent pellet rifle that I got for much cheaper than live-fire practice for trigger control, follow-through, breathing, etc. And I figure it could come in handy, should the need ever arise, for squirrel/rabbit size game. But what I shoot the most now is AirSoft pistols. Not the same as live-fire drills, but like Paladin notes you can do a bunch of stuff with AirSoft that you can't do at the range, especially since many ranges don't allow draw-from-holster and rapid fire unless you're shooting a match. You can do 360° practice as well as--with a partner and some protection--some simple force-on-force.

Most of what I do is in the garage. I have a few IDPA cardboard targets on adjustable stands that I can quickly move around (can take 'em out to the backyard easily, too). I cut out the down-zero circles and stapled some loose mesh cloth in back to make a pellet catch netting. The pellets don't get damaged at all that way and can be reused, plus there's less to sweep up after. Though I always do some sweeping because I'm nowhere near good enough to go quickly and still put everything into down-zero even at under 5 yards. ;-)

AirSoft pistol, carry holster, targets, and a shot timer. Even squeezing in an hour every once in a while helps keep most of the basics sharp, at least for me I think it does. Biggest things I miss are actual full weight and size mag changes, stoppage drills, and of course real recoil management.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Rafe wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:06 am
AirSoft pistol, carry holster, targets, and a shot timer. Even squeezing in an hour every once in a while helps keep most of the basics sharp, at least for me I think it does. Biggest things I miss are actual full weight and size mag changes, stoppage drills, and of course real recoil management.
Airsoft is always better than no practice or unrealistic practice. I see Airsoft as an important training modality just like dryfire and livefire. Airsoft shouldn't be your only training, but as long as you close the gaps with dryfire and livefire you are good to go. Training all 3 modalities is a central part of the Paladin Training System, which had a really good showing at TACCON 2023.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

RPBrown wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:32 am Carl, where did you get it? Since my Defender is my main EDC, that looks like a way to play in the back yard.
My 1911 came from the IDPA Sight. The Beretta I found on EBay brand new in box and a three year warranty. The Glock 19 came from Amazon.
https://www.idpa.com/shop/accessories/i ... ining-kit/

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

RPBrown wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:32 am Carl, where did you get it? Since my Defender is my main EDC, that looks like a way to play in the back yard.
The one I posted on is made by Umerex. I haven't seen a Defender airsoft version with blowback slide and working hammer. Mine shoots .177 BB's not plastic balls at around 400fps with 16 BB capacity, 29 oz all metal. Not a toy. I hope you find an airsoft version.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

So are those dry fire shooting devices they advertise on the radio any good?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”