Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Empty chamber carry?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

chasfm11 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:51 pm
Rafe wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:57 am
Was that the TXCHL Forum Day back in 2010?
Yes. I had just gotten my plastic in August so it was a real eye opening experience for me.
I took that same shooting from retention class that day also.

Edited to add the following… I know I’m not the oldest member of this forum, but I am getting on in years. (I turn 71 in 29 days.) It’s not just that I’m not in terribly good physical condition, it’s that my physical capacities are beginning to degrade more rapidly now. My balance isn't as good as it was. I’m now almost completely deaf in my left ear. If I have to get physical with someone, I’ll do what I can, but it’s likely that the very best I can hope for is a stalemate…but I will likely get my butt whipped. I refuse to let that happen if there’s anything I can do to avoid it.

So how to avoid it? My first line of defense is the classic "don’t be in stupid places, at stupid times, doing stupid things, with stupid people." I avoid crowds. I don’t hang out in bars. I don’t go to a seedy part of town, etc., etc., etc. My second line of defense is doing my level best to be situationally aware. My third line of defense is carrying my pistol in a way that I can draw and present it most quickly, while still trying to be more surreptitious about it. For me, that means AIWB most of the time, and that necessarily means concealed most of the time. I don’t object to open carry, and I do it myself on rare occasion, but most of the time there just isn’t an advantage in it for me.

I always carry with a round chambered. I see no safety advantage in not doing so. When I used to carry 1911s, I carried cocked and locked. When I carried a HK USP Compact, I carried it de-cocked with a DA first pull. I’ve been carrying Glocks now for a number of years, and just one of the reasons was because I appreciate the "revolver-like" simplicity of its manual of arms. Yes, there are other guns that are like that…M&P series pistols and XD/XDM pistols come to mind (I have one each of those too). But Glocks it is for now.

I carry two other tools that fall into the weapon category. One is a POM pepper spray for when a gun is too much, and the other is a good pocket folder or small fixed blade knife. But if I’m close enough to use a knife, I’m also close enough to get cut real bad, and I don’t need that. So, pepper spray excepted because it has an effective range of 12 ft, making it a "stand off" weapon, my tactic is to primarily avoid trouble to the extent possible, and to be aware enough of my surroundings to hopefully avoid being caught flat-footed…and then to pray that I’m aware of the need to draw and can actually get the gun out and presented before I get whipped.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”