Good Argument Against a 6-Shooter

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

fm2
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Good Argument Against a 6-Shooter

Post by fm2 »

This happened outside an amusement park. Many have metal detectors, Remember they have security there to protect you. :roll: So how well armed would you be as you exited the park? Empty hands or improvised weapons is where you would start, so who's ready to go wading in now? Now if you had re-armed when you got in your car, like you should, and were rolling by then you might be more effective.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

SCone

Post by SCone »

It took seven of them to do what they done, it'd only take one round to handle the entire lot.

bdickens
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bdickens »

Yes, I only have six rounds. Yes, there are seven of you. Question is, which six get them?
Byron Dickens

Will938
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Will938 »

That really burned me up to read. They would get one warning, and that's all I'll say about that. I always carry a reliable semi auto with 15+1.

casingpoint
Posts in topic: 7

Post by casingpoint »

I suspect Jerry Miculek's revolver shooting time per round with reload is only outdone by his semi auto performance. There is a video on the net somewhere to that effect. Also, people in South Louisiana are a little quick on the trigger to begin with. :mrgreen:

Liko81
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liko81 »

seamusTX wrote:Multiple assailants beating a guy who is already on the ground is the unlawful use of deadly force, so you would be justified in threatening and using deadly force to stop it.

It wouldn't matter at that point if the guy they were beating had asked for it. There is no legal justification for continuing to beat someone who is down.

With regard to having a revolver, you might not have to shoot at all, and shooting one actor would probably make the others flee. You also need to see some good use of speedloaders. Some shooters can reload a revolver in a second.

- Jim
From a probability standpoint, you're right. But, what if they don't? What if they stop wailing on their original target and start coming after you? What if they're armed, or can easily come back strapped? After all, you did just kill one of their budddies; it's on now.

I'm not saying any of these are likely, or that you should make the decision to shoot based solely on what the gang MIGHT do as a result of you drawing and/or shooting, but preparedness starts with picking a weapon, and when you don't know what you might face you want as many bullets as you can carry, in a package that makes them easy to access.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

bdickens wrote:Yes, I only have six rounds. Yes, there are seven of you. Question is, which six get them?
I believe that Kenny Rogers asked a question very similar to that in :biggrinjester: The Gambler
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 8

Post by HighVelocity »

Learn to reload fast, problem solved.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

mr.72
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mr.72 »

HighVelocity wrote:Learn to reload fast, problem solved.
Let's hope you don't have to test that theory some day.
non-conformist CHL holder

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 8

Post by HighVelocity »

While I too hope that I'd never have to reload in a self defense situation (revolver or semi auto), I am quite proficient in reloading a revolver in a hurry.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

The question is, are you proficient at reloading a revolver in a hurry while you are on the ground having the snot kicked out of you by a half a dozen hoods? It's one thing to be proficient at the firing range, quite another to do so while under attack.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

I feel confident in saying that the above poster is proficient at reloading anything in any position, circumstance, state of matter...

I mean, if you follow the forum enough, you'll find out that he went to the Louisiana State IDPA match and did pretty good, even against ol' Jerry himself.

he's too nice to say it for himself, though.

FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

mr.72

Post by mr.72 »

DoubleJ wrote:I feel confident in saying that the above poster is proficient at reloading anything in any position, circumstance, state of matter...

I mean, if you follow the forum enough, you'll find out that he went to the Louisiana State IDPA match and did pretty good, even against ol' Jerry himself.

I certainly am not trying to denigrate anyone. However I think in any scenario, there is no advantage to running out of ammo and being forced to reload in order to keep shooting if the threat persists, no matter how perfectly trained you are at such a combat reload. It's always faster to just keep shooting than it is to reload, is it not?

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

reload. jam. FTFeed. FTExtract. FTFire. what if the first attacker takes all your 15rds. we're all presuming that each person gets one shot. most times, that's not the case.

as a side note, I personally didn't think you were denigrating anyone, it's just nice to brag on HV when the oppurtunity arrises.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flintknapper »

mr.72 wrote:
DoubleJ wrote:I feel confident in saying that the above poster is proficient at reloading anything in any position, circumstance, state of matter...

I certainly am not trying to denigrate anyone. However I think in any scenario, there is no advantage to running out of ammo and being forced to reload in order to keep shooting if the threat persists, no matter how perfectly trained you are at such a combat reload. It's always faster to just keep shooting than it is to reload, is it not?

I'd have to agree. :thumbs2:

This is a point that is hard to argue.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”