Does your Carry/Defense Semi-Auto Function Flawlessly?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Does your Carry/Defense Semi-Auto Function Flawlessly?

Post by flintknapper »

Double Naught Spy wrote: Like you said, you weren't there and so you have it a bit wrong. The old Glock v. 1911 matches were about bragging rights. While this match is a spinoff of those matches, it isn't about bragging rights. It is about seeing how well real guns work with real people shooting them.
A good exercise to prove that "fatigue" or poor control will have an effect on marksmanship (and probably reliability). Maybe...some folks don't already know that, in which case...the test should be informative.
Somewhere several years back, somebody came up with the notion that 1000 rounds was a nice performance standard. It was far below that done for Glocks and 1911s, but something folks could do in a day and so the amount has stuck.
I don't have a problem with the round count. I think the average shooter will be fatigued long before that.

What has been a real eye opener (for me) is how poorly a goodly number of Glocks actually perform when shot by ordinary people using factory ammo (even worse with reloads). We all knew 1911s weren't that reliable (LOL), but they have won many Glock v. 1911 matches despite the odds against them.
Both Glocks and "quality" 1911's (with proper lubrication and fresh springs) will be acceptably reliable.

Even if you don't think it will prove anything or you don't think you and your gun have anything to prove, no problem. It is still a good time.
I can see where folks that don't have an opportunity to shoot regularly...or who just enjoy putting a lot of rounds down range..would find this most enjoyable. I am happy for them and encourage them to go. Though, I wouldn't be too surprised (or hurt) to find out that at some point most guns will have a stoppage. Eventually, the firearm will get dirty, lose lubrication, shooter gets sloppy, etc...
If you can't afford the ammo, no problem. I fully understand. Come on out anyway! It will still be a good time!
The single best reason to go IMO.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Double Naught Spy
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Double Naught Spy »

Both Glocks and "quality" 1911's (with proper lubrication and fresh springs) will be acceptably reliable.
And yet we saw half the guns malfunction in the first 50 rounds. Odd.

Check out this Glock v 1911 match. There, guns that malf'd were out of the match, game over.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.p ... 000+rounds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The match started at 8:00 and by a few minutes after 9:00, 7 of the 16 shooters were out. By Lunch, another 4 were gone.

Yes, logic would dictate and properly setup guns should go the distance with no problems, and yet match after match, we see the real guns that belong to real people not going the distance.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Double Naught Spy wrote:
And yet we saw half the guns malfunction in the first 50 rounds. Odd.

Check out this Glock v 1911 match. There, guns that malf'd were out of the match, game over.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.p ... 000+rounds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The match started at 8:00 and by a few minutes after 9:00, 7 of the 16 shooters were out. By Lunch, another 4 were gone.

Yes, logic would dictate and properly setup guns should go the distance with no problems, and yet match after match, we see the real guns that belong to real people not going the distance.

Not surprising...since "real people" runs the gamut from very experienced, disciplined shooters, to pure novices. Similarly, "Real guns" means everything from well maintained to worn out.

You simply do not have enough participants to extract any meaningful "averages" or data.

You have a group of people (with various skill levels) shooting weapons with various degrees of maintenance, wear, tolerances, etc...and hold this up as proof of a particular brand/make/model's suitability.

Now, lets be honest....if you really want to evaluate the GUN, then you need to remove all variables. If you want to evaluate PEOPLE (and their skills/choices), then go ahead with your test, just don't promote it as a gun reliability test.

stroo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stroo »

The results indicate to me that guns that don't work, won't work early or late or anywhere in between. And guns that work, work all the way through. This reinforces that you ought to put at least a couple hundred rounds through your gun without failure before you trust it with your life. And then you ought to continue to shoot it regularly.

I think this also suggests that many of us when we test a gun, actually ignore probems and blame the failures on something other than the gun.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

stroo wrote:The results indicate to me that guns that don't work, won't work early or late or anywhere in between. And guns that work, work all the way through.
This is certainly possible. I agree that a gun in poor condition (worn springs, not lubed/cleaned properly, bad ammo,etc) is not going to work... no matter who shoots it, and it will display problems right from the start. Conversely, a well maintained weapon with good ammo will tend to perform well (but this assumes a decent shooter).

This reinforces that you ought to put at least a couple hundred rounds through your gun without failure before you trust it with your life. And then you ought to continue to shoot it regularly.
Absolutely! I couldn't agree more.
I think this also suggests that many of us when we test a gun, actually ignore problems and blame the failures on something other than the gun.
This one can be kind of tough. The average gun owner is not anything like a gunsmith (or even a good tinkerer necessarily). You might very well have a problem (or problems) with your weapon. If you don't know how to diagnose those problems...you will be chasing your own tail forever.

However, you make a good point...(operator error), the shooter himself may be doing something that diminishes the potential reliability of the weapon, so this needs to be looked at honestly. If your gun fails you miserably..I pick it up..(using the same ammo, etc) and it "magically" starts working, then we have "operator error" (a variable).

Double Naught Spy

flintknapper wrote:However, you make a good point...(operator error), the shooter himself may be doing something that diminishes the potential reliability of the weapon, so this needs to be looked at honestly. If your gun fails you miserably..I pick it up..(using the same ammo, etc) and it "magically" starts working, then we have "operator error" (a variable).
Yep, and here is a professional, James Yeager, shooting his carry gun. Notice how the gun malfunctions several times while he is shooting it, but never malfunctions while his buddy is shooting it. Yeager blames the ammunition, yet the ammo works fine for the other shooter.
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZxQfIBXDc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like I said above, real guns and real people. People like to talk about their perfect guns, but a lot of perfect guns come to these matches that magically are not perfect during the matches.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Double Naught Spy wrote:
flintknapper wrote:However, you make a good point...(operator error), the shooter himself may be doing something that diminishes the potential reliability of the weapon, so this needs to be looked at honestly. If your gun fails you miserably..I pick it up..(using the same ammo, etc) and it "magically" starts working, then we have "operator error" (a variable).
Yep, and here is a professional, James Yeager, shooting his carry gun. Notice how the gun malfunctions several times while he is shooting it, but never malfunctions while his buddy is shooting it. Yeager blames the ammunition, yet the ammo works fine for the other shooter.
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZxQfIBXDc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like I said above, real guns and real people. People like to talk about their perfect guns, but a lot of perfect guns come to these matches that magically are not perfect during the matches.
Well....gents, have fun...let us know how it goes.

Probably pretty much the same every year...I would think.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NcongruNt »

JohnKSa wrote:
NcongruNt wrote:I'm quite happy with that, and don't feel I need to prove its reliability further.
It's funny how different people react to this match. Some seem to take it as a personal affront while others see it as a chance to interact with other shooters, spend a day at the range free of charge, and perhaps learn a bit about themselves and their pistol.
I think you missed the intention of my statement. I am not taking any of this personally. We're on a forum discussing guns. My commentary was simply that - commentary. I have no problem with your match and I hope it is fun for you. I just don't see myself getting much out of it. I simply find the statement that " It is about seeing how well real guns work with real people shooting them" doesn't really pass my logic test. If I were trying to garner valuable information in this arena, there would need to be a control for the variables like ammo. This is, after all, a CHL forum, and to really want to limit the result variables to "real people" and their "real guns", we'd need to control the ammo aspect to something we actually carry. The fact that cheap ammo is in the mix (and as an overwhelming majority) negates the usefulness of the test for me, and that's why I'm not interested. I'm all for y'all putting lots of ammo downrange, I just think you are unable garner proper results from cheap ammo. When you push this as a real-world test of people and equipment, you're going to have people disagree with the validity of the exercise if there are some logical holes in the specifics. That's what I did, nothing more. I have no disagreement that shooting is fun, because it is. :mrgreen: :fire
JohnKSa wrote:For whatever it's worth, NO ONE brought a pistol to the match thinking that it was likely to malfunction. EVERYONE brought a gun that they felt would get through the match without a malfunction. Only 3 of the 14 entrants were right...
NcongruNt wrote:I'd sooner go buy a new gun than put that much money into the dirt in one day. Maybe some folks have money to blow on expensive ammo, I dunno.
So when you practice you use ONLY self-defense style ammunition? Or do you, perhaps, find some value in shooting less expensive "practice" FMJ ammo?

There was a time that I shot only my chosen carry load when I visited the rage. I can't afford that these days, but I still get in a good bit of valuable range time thanks to budget ammunition. So far, at least, I've never felt that any time spent at the range amounted to "putting money into the dirt". ;-)
I shoot mainly cheap ammo that I find to be reliable and consistent for most of my range time. The choice of ammo is simply because it's cheaper and the objective of that range time is to hone my shooting skills, not to prove that my gun is reliable. It proved itself long ago to be a reliable firearm with my carry ammo, so I have no need to prove otherwise. I don't take my car on extended off-roading "torture tests" just to prove that it will perform as I want in case I need to go off-roading in an emergency, and I see no need to do the same with my gun to prove that it will handle a few mags worth of ammo in case of an extreme emergency. I run occasional failure drills with snap-caps so that I am proficient in clearing them, and regularly practice shooting drills from various positions (kneeling, crouching, one-handed, weak-handed, etc) so that I can familiarize myself with how I and my gun perform in those situations. I test it with a few mags of carry ammo just to be sure it works properly, but I have no need to put the kind of wear on my gun that a 1000 round rapid-fire session would induce - just to prove it will work

As for carry ammo, I cycle my on-body ammo through my gun every few months or so and replenish it with new stuff. This gets rid of old ammo that's been subjected to sitting in my gun or on my hip in a mag carrier in various environments, and performs a periodic test of my specific carry ammo's reliability in the gun. I put a couple hundred rounds of carry ammo through it when it was new, and it performed beautifully. Every so often I will run a different brand of carry ammo (Hornady XTP most recently, I have a box of Federal HST waiting for my next trip), just to see how the rounds perform. I stick with the 124gr +P Gold Dot because it provides the power level that I prefer in my SD ammo, has proven itself consistent in its performance, and is widely accepted as a quality carry round (lots of LE departments use it as their standard 9mm round).

Anyhow, now that I've answered your questions, let me say specifically that I wasn't deriding your event in general, just the specifics of reasoning in your promotional statement. We are adults, and I expect that we can disagree and still respect each other, contrary to what the internet has taught us. ;-) I hope your event is fun for everyone involved. :thumbs2:
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Topic author
JohnKSa
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JohnKSa »

If I were trying to garner valuable information in this arena, there would need to be a control for the variables like ammo.
Finances do not allow the match organizer to provide identical ammunition to all the competitors at this time, but that variable is being controlled more tightly this year than last by not allowing reloads. In addition, there is work being done on trying to find a way to have all the competitors shoot the same brand of ammunition--we're not there yet. You have to start somewhere, and this is the somewhere where we are right now.

In short, the variables in the match are as tightly controlled as circumstances (and the tolerance of the participants) will allow. It sounds like it's just a day of blastage, but a lot of thought, planning and effort goes into the preparation. Is it perfect?--hardly. But it's about as carefully controlled as this type of test can be given the basic limitations of the governing circumstances of the match.

Are the results going to be easily interpreted and free from the effect of uncontrolled variables? Of course not, but that doesn't make them useless. There was much to be learned from last year's match--including the answer to this issue you bring up...
I have no need to put the kind of wear on my gun that a 1000 round rapid-fire session would induce...
This concern was raised prior to the match last year so I took some careful closeups before and after the match to determine how 1000 rounds of rapidly-fired 10mm would wear my pistol. The results can be seen in the link posted in the original post of this thread, but I'll warn you that they're extremely...anticlimactic. ;-)

As to my comment about the difference in how people respond to this thread, it was based primarily on my observations of the responses to both last year's announcement and this announcement.

On the firearms enthusiast forums (CZ Forum, Ruger Forum, etc.) the response is nearly uniformly positive. People post that they wish they could attend, that it's a great idea, that the results are interesting.

On the defensively oriented forums (such as this one) the responses tend to be much more negative. People post reasons why the match is a waste of time and money, why it won't/doesn't prove anything, why it's bad for the guns. Even had one person last year say it would hurt shooting skills to shoot that much in a single day. (If it did I couldn't tell it--the day after cranking out 1K rounds of 10mm in a polymer gun, I shot in another unrelated match and posted a personal best.)
Do you know about the TEXAS State Rifle Association?

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

I have attended a shooting clinic where I shot 1000 rounds through my gun in one day. Didn't hurt my gun or myself. I also didn't have any issues with my gun during the two day clinic. So I don't need to shoot this match. I do think it sounds like a great deal of fun. That said, I know that I got a lot more bang for my ammo bucks at this shooting clinic then I would get at a this match.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Double Naught Spy

Really, what free shooting clinic did you attend where you shot 1000 rounds in a day? I would like to go there!

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Double Naught Spy wrote:Really, what free shooting clinic did you attend where you shot 1000 rounds in a day? I would like to go there!

She didn't say the clinic she went to was "free".

Also, her statement about (getting more bang for the rounds expended) obviously meant the curriculum was very well thought out and self defense oriented.

There is nothing wrong with "busting off" a thousand rounds of ammo in a day. I hope everyone has a good (and safe) time doing it.

For most of us...it proves little (if anything)...but we are always interested to listen to your ideas. Please let us know how it turns out, how it was different from last year...and what you think was learned from it.

Thank you,

Flint.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Thank you Flint.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Furyataurus
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Furyataurus »

Sounds interesting!!!! I once put 600 rounds through my HK USP 9 in a few hours without any problems, I shot 300 and my nephew shot 300, I hope an extra 400 won't matter for her!!! lol. I also put 400 rounds through my FNP40 that same day with no problems. Don't know if I want to bring both though :headscratch

Topic author
JohnKSa
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JohnKSa »

She didn't say the clinic she went to was "free".
The point that DNS was making is that this match IS free. No range fees, no entry fees, no fees at all. AND, while the conventional wisdom says there's no such thing as a free lunch, last year's match proved that saying was incorrect, at least for the 14 shooters who attended the match. ;)

In other words, there are a number of reasons why comparing this match to a shooting clinic isn't quite kosher. Cost is one reason, what you expect to get out of it is another.
Don't know if I want to bring both though...
I recommend if you bring two guns you bring a second shooter. Last year things were pretty busy between shooting, loading mags, taking your turn with the scorekeeping duties, etc.
I hope everyone has a good (and safe) time doing it.
No injuries last year and everyone was enthusiastic (if a bit tired) at the post-match debrief.
For most of us...it proves little (if anything)...
PROVING things is very difficult. Collecting data and looking at the results is a bit easier--and the nice thing about having actual data is that others can look at it and draw their own conclusions.

By the way, concrete & practical suggestions on how to improve the match are welcome.
Do you know about the TEXAS State Rifle Association?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”