S&W Bodyguard .38 - finally bought a revolver!!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

JRG
Posts in topic: 3

Re: S&W Bodyguard .38 - finally bought a revolver!!

Post by JRG »

PUCKER wrote:
baseballguy2001 wrote:I am considering one, should I get it? Would you recommend it? (I'm thinking of getting it for summer carry)
I like and I recommend it, it's extremely light and very concealable yet still packs a punch. It's not a target shooter/plinker, though. I think it's a great value for the money. I've carried it every day, with a few exceptions, since I bought it. No regrets/cognitive dissonance from this purchase. :tiphat:
Pucker,

Do you carry it in the Day Planner, or do you have an IWB holster or somesuch?

Joe :txflag:

Topic author
PUCKER
Posts in topic: 6

Post by PUCKER »

Joe, I've only carried it in the day planner a few times, it's totally inconspicuous that way. I carry in my right front pocket of my cargo shorts (pockets are tapered, meaning they are not square pockets, and reinforced by the local tailor), the pistol does not move around in there at all. Sometimes will also carry in my jacket pocket, on those occasional cold days. I do not have a holster for it, although I will probably pick up a pocket holster for it at the next gun show (for the few pants/shorts that have "square" pockets).

mec
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mec »

I've shot two of them. One grouped four inches left and seven inches above the iron sights at 50 feet. The other, performed a 3" bench group wIth independence ball ammo at 25 yards- five inches left but only two or three inches high. The first revolver woud function perfectly in dry firing but it would take two pulls of the trigger to fire the gun on each chamber after the first shot. Apparently, recoil was kicking the odd-ball ratchet assembly out of engagement. The second gun did not have any functional problems but I have read about one other Bodyguard that had the same rotation problems as the first.
Compared to the Ruger LCR with laser grips, the recoil of the Smith is somewhat less jaring. The Smith might be considered prettier than the Ruger due to the JC Higgins cylinder fluets on the latter but the rugers I have shot have far greater practical accuracy and functional integrity.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

I bought my dad a set for his 88th birthday. It includes a Body Guard .38 revolver and a Body Guard .380 auto. They are serial numbered the same and came in a pretty wooden display case with glass or Plexiglas top. Not sure which. He loves the guns, and they shoot well.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

I have one as well and do like it a lot but I am going to have to send it in to S&W with less then a hundred rounds through it. The insight laser will turn off sometimes from the recoil of the gun and will not turn back on. It happened to me yesterday at the range. Funny thing is after about 3 minutes it would go back on. Also, like some have said the sights are a little off but anything more then 15 yards with a snub nose is starting to push it anyways. I am sure S&W will fix the problem and have it back to me soon. I still like it more then the Ruger LCR and I am a big Ruger fan. The LCR grip is just to small for my hands. I love my SP-101 though!

RollTide In Texas

Post by RollTide In Texas »

Bought one for the wife recently. She hasn't had the opportunity to shoot it yet, but I've put about 50 rounds through it. I was really surprised at how accurate I was with it. It does pack a punch though, which worries me about the wife shooting it. She's use to my Colt .357 shooting .38 special out of it, and it's weight keeps it pretty tame. Not sure she's going to like this bodyguard. No problem though, I'll just use it as my BUG is she doesn't like it.
PLAY STUPID GAMES, WIN STUPID PRIZES!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”