Popper Popped

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
hi-power
Posts in topic: 2

Popper Popped

Post by hi-power »

Although the caption of the picture says the guns and Taser were confiscated, no gun charges are listed in the story.

Blues Traveler Frontman John Popper Arrested After Cops Find Weapons Cache, Drugs in His SUV

March 7: A cache of weapons was confiscated during the arrest
of Blues Traveler frontman John Popper near Ritzville, Wash., is seen.

Thursday, March 08, 2007
Associated Press

SPOKANE, Wash. — Blues Traveler singer and harmonica player John Popper was arrested after the vehicle he was riding in was clocked going 111 mph, the Washington State Patrol said Wednesday.

Popper, 39, was arrested Tuesday afternoon on Interstate 90 near the Spokane/Lincoln county line, the Washington State Patrol said.

Inside the black Mercedes SUV, officers found a cache of weapons and a small amount of marijuana, the Patrol said. A police dog searched the vehicle, finding numerous hidden compartments containing four rifles, nine handguns and a switchblade knife. Authorities also found a Taser and night vision goggles. The vehicle was seized.

Popper, who lives in Snohomish, Wash., is the owner of the vehicle, which was being driven by Brian Gourgeois, 34, of Austin, Texas, said state patrol Trooper Jeff Sevigney. The vehicle also had flashing emergency headlights, a siren and a public address system, the Patrol said.

"Popper indicated to troopers that he had installed these items in his vehicle because (in the event of a natural disaster) he didn't want to be left behind," the Patrol said in a news release. He also told officers he collected weapons, the Patrol said.

The two men were booked administratively into the Adams County jail and released on their own recognizance. Authorities plan to charge them with possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. Gourgeois will also face a charge of reckless driving, the Patrol said.

Popper did not immediately return an e-mail seeking comment Wednesday night.

Popper achieved fame as a harmonica player and frontman for Blues Traveler. The band won a Grammy award in 1996 for the song "Run-around," which Popper composed.

Popper recently formed a group called The John Popper Project with DJ Logic, which released an album in 2006 and is scheduled to go on the road later this month.

seamusTX

Re: Popper Popped

Post by seamusTX »

hi-power wrote:... no gun charges are listed in the story.
According to packing.org, it's legal to carry an unloaded firearm in a vehicle in the state of Washington.

Who in his right mind would drive 111 MPH while carrying dope? I know, innocent until proven guilty.

- Jim

Will938
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Will938 »

Geeze, why didn't he tell them the siren/wigwam/ect were for show purposes only?

Also, in another article they said that there they called the ATF in for assistance and that they were looking at a charge of having a hidden compartment...since when has that been illegal?

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

If he'd only NOT had the dope in the car...

This would have only been a traffic ticket...

Wait a second, you LEO guys or gals can clarify this for me...

I had heard there is a rate of speed which makes the traffic stop (if you get them to voluntarily stop) an arrestable offence...

Does that vary with the speed zone??? Or is there some other factor???

If the person is stone cold sober, not under stress of an emergency, etc etc...

If they are just going way to fast, and you catch them, I heard there is a rate of speed which gets you arrested and charged with "reckless driving" or some similar charge...

Just curious...

I'm not fixated on the whole gun issue with this stop...Thats just another miscarriage of reporting...

"hidden compartment(s)"... :smilelol5:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

HankB

Post by HankB »

Notice there are a couple of Steyr Scout rifles in the mix? Nice rifles - overpriced by at least a third after making due allowance for features and workmanship - but nice nonetheless.

Driving 111 MPH on public roads is often questionable, but when you've got illegal drugs in the car it isn't a mark of high intelligence regardless of road and traffic conditions.

Hmmm . . . how do I go about building a hidden compartment in MY SUV?
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

paulbrodt

Post by paulbrodt »

I always wondered if those were all Harmonicas on his fancy vest. He probably has two or three guns in plain site but they just blend in with the harmonicas.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
- General George Patton Jr

Topic author
hi-power

Post by hi-power »

paulbrodt wrote:He probably has two or three guns in plain site but they just blend in with the harmonicas.
Ha! :lol:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The NVG's at the top are a nice touch.

Sounds like he needs to slow down.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Not sure about Texas, but in Arizona, doing more than 15 over, or going over 90mph is a criminal offense (a class 2 misdemeanor as opposed to an infraction)

Texas traffic laws are nearly impossible for a non-lawyer (or me at anyrate) to grok through, so I'm not even sure.

I speak from experience of stupid youth, and an awesome Maricopa County judge who took pity on me and cut the charge down to an infraction and allowed me to take traffic school for it.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Horse's mouth:
§ 545.401. RECKLESS DRIVING; OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person drives a vehicle in wilful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.
You can see this is quite subjective. Messing with a cell phone or eating barbecue with both hands easily qualify. Driving 111 MPH anywhere other than an empty stretch of interstate probably does.

- Jim

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

There is nothing wrong with a Texan driving 111, nothing. :roll:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Bill

Post by Bill »

I got a ticket in Louisiana for 108 in a 45. It was on I 10 before Lake Charles. It was late at night and as I came over the hill the were barricades closing off one lane. There was a car in front and I decided to hit it and make it around him. Now I was in my 300zx twin turbo and it doesn't take long to go from 75 to 108. As I got to the bottom of the hill my radar detector all most came off the dash the lights were flashing so bright .

Two highway patrol were parked under that bridge, and as I looked back I new this wernt good. I though the best think was to ease off the exit ramp into a gas station were there might be witnesses. The police thought i was running and basically ran me off the road. I did manage to pull into the station.

With guns pulled they pulled me out of the car just like on COPS, and what's more I had a bottle of Vicodin on console. ( I had back surgery a week before) They said they had a real nasty wrecker on the way to pick up the car, then all the sudden ( its a GOD thing) they became friendly. Told me here is your ticket and we will just hold that your driver lic till you make it back to court. He also told me if I would have been stopped two miles further down the road I was in a different Parrish and its a day in jail for every mile over 100. Thats 8 days my friends.

The other neat thing was I purchased a K2 detector on the way out of town and it had a guarantee to pay for your ticket for the first year. Ticket was 300.00 and 6 months probation in that Parrish. I had a 300.00 check in two weeks.

Sorry for so much story, but the answer is it all depends on where you are at
Bill
retired CHL Instructor

Cosmo 9

Post by Cosmo 9 »

What's the rifle next to the shotgun? Huge scope & a giant flash hider.
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

Tote 9

Post by Tote 9 »

All I can say is Popper and his Buddy both are idiots.
Don't Lose Your Head , Your Brains Are In It !!
At my age the only thing thats getting better is my FORGETTER.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

There is no set speed in Texas where it will automatically change from speeding to reckless driving. Reckless driving, as shown by Jim's (SeamusTX) post, is pretty unclear and would require a lot of work to prove if there was not an accident of some type involved.

One reason that there is no automatic change to reckless is that there is really no set speed limit in Texas. The posted limit is a prima facie case, and you can do 200 if you can convince the judge that it was both reasonable and prudent for the circumstances (I don't suggest you try that argument though it is the law).
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”