Kahr P40
30%

Total votes: 10

Topic author
JLaw
Posts in topic: 2

Hey Kahr Guys

Post by JLaw »

Got my first opportunity to really study a P40 today. While comparing the pros/cons of the P40 and Glock 23, I had to wonder what it is about Kahr that catches your eye. Most of my curiosity may be my ignorance of Kahr firearms in general, so please forgive.

The G23 carries 13+1, the P40 6+1.
The P40 is much slimmer than the G23.
They are right about the same price locally, @ $529.00.
The Glock name has been around a few years, how long has Kahr been around?

I can see pros and cons going each way, maybe it comes down to Ford vs Chevy???

I'm only curios because I enjoy learning about new-to-me firearms.

JLaw

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Ford & Glock go hand in hand, its the only way to drive across this promised land...

Ford is the best in Texas!

Shameless plug, I know...I'm just a shameless person... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

txaggie

Post by txaggie »

While I can't speak directly about the G23/P40, I had a similar decision. I was deciding between a PM9 and a G26. I chose the Kahr because of the smaller size (single stack) and the similarity to the Glock in design and operation. I use my PM9 for pocket carry so the dimensions made a larger factor on my choice.

<edit>

{For what I use it for, the Kahr has been very reliable and a quality choice for carrying.}
</edit>

Enough of my decision, since you are not comparing the smallest of each I assume that you have no issues with pocket carry or real concealment issues. Owning both Glocks and Kahrs (G17, G26, 2 PM9's), I would choose the Glock for the following reasons:

1. the Glock is easier to clean, maintain and work on if you have any problems
2. there are more holster and accessory options available for the Glocks versus Kahrs
3. once again I am assuming concealment is not really a problem for you, I would take the higher capacity in this comparison
We're all gamers, it's just degrees of application...

Topic author
JLaw

Post by JLaw »

Concealment is somewhat of a deal, but not too much. I've got a Makarov, S&W 908, or even smaller a S&W 642 for easy concealment, only an untucked t-shirt needed. However with the cooler months approaching I was considering a little more powerful firearm. I usually run around with an untucked button up or light coat in the winter, so concealment won't be too tough. I currently own a G21 which I like, but it's so darn BIG! I do like Glocks, Kahrs look interesting...and small.
Main reason I asked is because I've read many good things about Kahr, even though some owners have had a few problems with them. But hey, people have problems with Glocks too, they're machines and subject to failure just like a car, computer, or anything else.

sensei

Post by sensei »

I too have a G-26 and a PM9.

I love the glock guns and if all were equal I would shoot and carry them all the time. Things are not equal. The Kahr is ALOT easier to carry and conceal but, you only have 7 rds. in the Kahr, so that is a negative.

I had two failure to feed..well, thats not true...the rounds did feed but I had to push the slide forward to get it to close all the way, in the first 50 rds. Since then it has been 100%. Probably 1000 rds of so.

I carry it most of the time now.

Both guns are well made and 100% dependable. Just depends how much effort you want ot put into concealment. With winter coming I may go back to carrying the glock.

See, even I can't make up my mind.

Ray glass
Last edited by sensei on Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txaggie

Post by txaggie »

When I carry my Kahr, I also carry a spare magazine in my other front pocket so that I have at least one reload if necessary :D
We're all gamers, it's just degrees of application...

onerifle

Post by onerifle »

Even though I voted of the G23, my PM9 sees more duty simply because it's so much easier to carry. My 23 conceals well with a jacket/sweater/midweight shirt- but my PM9 slips in a pocket really easily. Now that it's cooling off a bit, I think the 23 will work it's way back into the lineup....
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

+ 1 for the Kahr. Slimer. That is easier to hid w/ a light shirt. Also for us guys that have small hands & can't get all the way around a Clunker, :lol: anything feels better than holding a square 2x4. :twisted: Flames acomin I know. No one is in between on the G's. are they?
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

EricS76

Post by EricS76 »

I was either going to buy a PM9 or G26 this summer. I did alot of research. Websites, forums, gun shops, owners. I kept getting the same thing about the kahr. Either they loved it or they had problems with it. Everybody had the same to say about the Glock. It's a great gun, and most are 100% reliable. I went with the G26 and love it. It's been 100% reliable. The kahr is probably a good gun, but the glock is everything I need, and $100 less.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

What, no vote for both. I carry a G21 and a PM40
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”