Putting an optic on my Glock 19

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

tomneal
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Putting an optic on my Glock 19

Post by tomneal »

Doing a memory search.

The AA batteries in my EOTech leaked. I had to clean and rebuild. I don't use the gun often so, I store the disassembled sight and batteries in a ziplock bag and use painters tape to attach it to the rifle in my gun safe.

All of the dot scopes I've bought in the last 10 years, use 2032 button batteries. I keep spares in each gun rug.

The Trijicon on my Glock 17 turns on/off automatically. You replace the battery every two years (or once per year on your birthday)

I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge. I prefer the BIGGEST Dot available.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

tomneal wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:22 am Doing a memory search.

The AA batteries in my EOTech leaked. I had to clean and rebuild. I don't use the gun often so, I store the disassembled sight and batteries in a ziplock bag and use painters tape to attach it to the rifle in my gun safe.

All of the dot scopes I've bought in the last 10 years, use 2032 button batteries. I keep spares in each gun rug.

The Trijicon on my Glock 17 turns on/off automatically. You replace the battery every two years (or once per year on your birthday)

My EOTech did the exact same thing. Like you, I no longer store it with the batteries installed. It took a little effort to clean it up and get it working again.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:48 pm Maybe this is the wrong thread for this question. Why do you folks like optics over laser sights? I have laser sights on several of my everyday carry weapons. They don't add the bulk of an optic and work well for me. With the laser sights I can usually use the holster I use with no laser because they are low profile. I have an optic on my AR15 and have had some issues with it working and staying sighted in. It is an EOtec. maybe the brand is the issue but for a concealed carry weapon, I am rather rotund and the extra profile an optic adds can be an issue for me.
For me, the tiniest tremor in my hand (literally everybody has some movement in their hands when aiming) turns into amplified motion at the far end wherever the laser dot touches the target. The greater the distance, the larger the amplitude of the dot's movement over that particular degree of arc. It’s just plain old geometry. If the target is close enough to me for that movement not to matter, it is also close enough to me for there to be no particular advantage of an electronically generated red aiming point over plain old iron sights.

When you couple that angle of movement problem with my terrible tendency to "follow the wandering dot", you end up with my point of impact being anywhere except my original point of aim. Like I said previously, I could probably train that out of my technique given a willingness to spend the money and time on doing so. But in my personal calculus, that just hasn’t been worth it to me. My preferred home defense pistol is a G17, with a TLR-1s light attached, hybrid tritium/fiberoptic suppressor-height iron sights, and a suppressor. I am able to hold as steady a point of aim in an otherwise darkened room with that setup as I am able to do with iron sights in broad daylight.

That said, my primary home defense weapon is a suppressed 11.5” AR, topped with an Aimpoint T2 micro. I am able to hold that setup pretty much rock steady, and by virtue of the much longer sight radius (i.e. barrel length) the amplitude of dot movement on the target is much smaller…enough so that I can hit accurately at distances I wouldn’t even dream of with my handgun. And that SBR also has a weapon light on it too, and backup tritium iron sights co-witnessed to the red dot.

Mind you, after all of my ranting, I’m not against the use of RDS optics or lasers on pistols. If it makes someone better, then I’m all for it…just don’t do it for the "cool factor". I just haven’t yet been able to articulate a particular need for one on my part. And if I were counseling a relative newbie who had asked me whether I thought they should get one, I would answer, "By all means, if you think it would make you a better shooter. BUT… before you spend the money on an optic and/or any necessary conversions, FIRST buy a good weapon light for your pistol if it is able to take one. Being able to see AND identify your target is a higher priority."

But again, that’s just me, and I’m not criticizing other people's choices. What works best for someone else (or even for me) doesn’t make it a universal solution.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:46 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:48 pm Maybe this is the wrong thread for this question. Why do you folks like optics over laser sights? I have laser sights on several of my everyday carry weapons. They don't add the bulk of an optic and work well for me. With the laser sights I can usually use the holster I use with no laser because they are low profile. I have an optic on my AR15 and have had some issues with it working and staying sighted in. It is an EOtec. maybe the brand is the issue but for a concealed carry weapon, I am rather rotund and the extra profile an optic adds can be an issue for me.
For me, the tiniest tremor in my hand (literally everybody has some movement in their hands when aiming) turns into amplified motion at the far end wherever the laser dot touches the target. The greater the distance, the larger the amplitude of the dot's movement over that particular degree of arc. It’s just plain old geometry. If the target is close enough to me for that movement not to matter, it is also close enough to me for there to be no particular advantage of an electronically generated red aiming point over plain old iron sights.

When you couple that angle of movement problem with my terrible tendency to "follow the wandering dot", you end up with my point of impact being anywhere except my original point of aim. Like I said previously, I could probably train that out of my technique given a willingness to spend the money and time on doing so. But in my personal calculus, that just hasn’t been worth it to me. My preferred home defense pistol is a G17, with a TLR-1s light attached, hybrid tritium/fiberoptic suppressor-height iron sights, and a suppressor. I am able to hold as steady a point of aim in an otherwise darkened room with that setup as I am able to do with iron sights in broad daylight.

That said, my primary home defense weapon is a suppressed 11.5” AR, topped with an Aimpoint T2 micro. I am able to hold that setup pretty much rock steady, and by virtue of the much longer sight radius (i.e. barrel length) the amplitude of dot movement on the target is much smaller…enough so that I can hit accurately at distances I wouldn’t even dream of with my handgun. And that SBR also has a weapon light on it too, and backup tritium iron sights co-witnessed to the red dot.

Mind you, after all of my ranting, I’m not against the use of RDS optics or lasers on pistols. If it makes someone better, then I’m all for it…just don’t do it for the "cool factor". I just haven’t yet been able to articulate a particular need for one on my part. And if I were counseling a relative newbie who had asked me whether I thought they should get one, I would answer, "By all means, if you think it would make you a better shooter. BUT… before you spend the money on an optic and/or any necessary conversions, FIRST buy a good weapon light for your pistol if it is able to take one. Being able to see AND identify your target is a higher priority."

But again, that’s just me, and I’m not criticizing other people's choices. What works best for someone else (or even for me) doesn’t make it a universal solution.
Thanks for the input. I agree, different strokes for different folks. You make some interesting points. I started using laser sights when I developed a bit of a vision issue. I can't for the life of me what the Dr called it but I have a low distance focus point, a mid distance and a third long distance. When wearing my prescription glasses, it causes issues sometimes with focusing on the sights and then aligning them with the target. The laser sights help me acquire a quicker target. I have practiced a whole lot and it would surprise you how steady I can keep that dot, even at distance and through the pull and fire.

For home defense I like the flashlight idea.For concealed carry, I would have trouble like I do with the optics. It seems like it would make it uncomfortable for concealed carry. Realistically, aren't most self defense shooting situations up close encounters, less than like 25 feet?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:59 pm For home defense I like the flashlight idea. For concealed carry, I would have trouble like I do with the optics. It seems like it would make it uncomfortable for concealed carry. Realistically, aren't most self defense shooting situations up close encounters, less than like 25 feet?
Yeah, I’ve only got weapon lights on my home defense pistol, a shotgun, and most of my ARs, but I have to confess that the main reason I haven’t started carrying one mounted on my carry gun is that I don’t want to embark on a new holster quest that will accommodate a light right at the moment. That said, I do EDC a high quality flashlight when I’m out and about. But a good weapon light doesn’t weigh that much, so it’s not really an impediment to carry. When I save up a little extra money, I’ll shop for a holster that will fit my G19 with another TLR-1 I have sitting on the shelf.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

The Annoyed Man wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:26 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:59 pm For home defense I like the flashlight idea. For concealed carry, I would have trouble like I do with the optics. It seems like it would make it uncomfortable for concealed carry. Realistically, aren't most self defense shooting situations up close encounters, less than like 25 feet?
Yeah, I’ve only got weapon lights on my home defense pistol, a shotgun, and most of my ARs, but I have to confess that the main reason I haven’t started carrying one mounted on my carry gun is that I don’t want to embark on a new holster quest that will accommodate a light right at the moment. That said, I do EDC a high quality flashlight when I’m out and about. But a good weapon light doesn’t weigh that much, so it’s not really an impediment to carry. When I save up a little extra money, I’ll shop for a holster that will fit my G19 with another TLR-1 I have sitting on the shelf.
You have me thinking about the light issue. I have home defense weapons in several places in my home. No kids or spouse in my home. Just me and the dog. I have a G27, A 12 gage mossberg pump with pistol grip, G17, A Ruger LCP and a Model 686 with 38+P. It is a rare 686 that is not in 357, S&W 442 with 38 +P and my PM9. It is a fairly sizable house for a single guy but I have a firearm within maybe 5 seconds of anywhere I am at in my home. Even the bathroom. LOL...don't wanna get caught unarmed sitting on the throne. I bought it when my kids were young and owe such a low amount on it, It is valued at 3 times what I paid. Selling it right now and buying something new would just eat up what I sell it for. I plan to retire here in the next 4 years and will sell it at that time, buy a lake lot and maybe put a mobile home on it. Spend my days fishing with my grand kids.Maybe get a part time job at a gun store or something.

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Scott in Houston wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:24 pm I’m considering doing this to one of my Glocks. Either my Gen 3 19 or 26.

https://velocitytriggers.com/product/gl ... dot-mount/

My question is this… do I need to do anything else? Does the added weight of the optic affect the slide’s cycle speed and/or mess with reliability at all?
Sorry to resurrect this but what did you go with after all?

I've only tried lasers once, on a Kimber Officer's Model with Crimson Trace grips. Didn't use it that much as it was only useful in low/no light conditions. A pistol mounted optic I can use in almost any lighting condition but especially more valuable to me in dark conditions where I have trouble seeing the sights. The "bulk" isn't really noticeable. I have more trouble with the width of a gun like a double stack 45.

I've had an EOTech on my AR for over 10 years and no problems. I believe it's an EXPS3, I got a great deal on it with someone who wanted out after all the drift issues a few years back. Great sight.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

tomneal wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:22 am Doing a memory search.

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:29 am My EOTech did the exact same thing. Like you, I no longer store it with the batteries installed. It took a little effort to clean it up and get it working again.
I have an EOTech that uses a single CR123. Not a single issue with it in in like 10 years. I don't shoot in extreme temp differences, I've had it on and off a few times, no issues with drift or zero. I know they've had issues with the AA version having to do with the orientation of the battery and causing an issue with contact and losing power intermittently.

JRG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JRG »

I just dropped off my Gen 5 G26 at ShootSmart in Grand Prairie to have the slide milled for a Holosun 507K green. It takes about 10 days to 14 days to get it done. It's only been about 5 days thus far, but I am really missing that little 26. I am using that time to search for a holster that allows a red dot on a 26.

Joe

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Wow! If this was last Friday, I was either checking in or out to get a lane and I remember talking to you about the wait! I've talked to the gunsmith there a couple of times recently, he installed a trigger for me on my 17 earlier that week and I was there to get some time on it ahead of a class I'm taking this weekend. I was actually clearing out some emails and came across his bio, seems very knowledgeable as to what I read and in my talk with him. Anyway thought it was funny, small world.

JRG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JRG »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:41 am Wow! If this was last Friday, I was either checking in or out to get a lane and I remember talking to you about the wait! I've talked to the gunsmith there a couple of times recently, he installed a trigger for me on my 17 earlier that week and I was there to get some time on it ahead of a class I'm taking this weekend. I was actually clearing out some emails and came across his bio, seems very knowledgeable as to what I read and in my talk with him. Anyway thought it was funny, small world.
I remember that conversation Jose. Yes, I really like James, the gunsmith, there. He does a great job.

It is good to put a face with a name from this site.

Joe

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paladin »

I ordered a Holosun 508t green. Will try it out on a G19 and see how it goes. Plan on it being more of a fun gun.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

JRG wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:26 am I remember that conversation Jose. Yes, I really like James, the gunsmith, there. He does a great job.

It is good to put a face with a name from this site.

Joe
Nice! Good to put a name to a face!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”