Recommendations on where to buy a safe

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Recommendations on where to buy a safe

Post by Tex1961 »

I’m looking to purchase one of the larger safes for both my personal collection and possible future FFL business. My question is does anybody have any recommendations of a good source to purchase from. I know Cabela’s, sheels , academy, etc. but not sure of any other place that might be a better choice. For reference I am in the North Dallas area. Whoever it is would need to have delivery services as well. Oh and financing would not hurt my feelings either

Thanks

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recommendations on where to buy a safe

Post by flechero »

The Safe Company in Garland. They used to be called Liberty Safe of Texas. I bought a RSC there years ago- my experience with them is dated but they were super to deal with and had very competitive pricing, competent delivery and install people. Also had a great selection of in stock product.

https://www.thesafecompany.com/

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

flechero wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:03 pm The Safe Company in Garland. They used to be called Liberty Safe of Texas. I bought a RSC there years ago- my experience with them is dated but they were super to deal with and had very competitive pricing, competent delivery and install people. Also had a great selection of in stock product.

That is the same place I purchased my Amsec years ago. They also deliver and install. Personally, i feel if you want a serious safe and have the funds to buy one, stay away from "sporting goods store" brands.

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Tex1961 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:15 pm
flechero wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:03 pm The Safe Company in Garland. They used to be called Liberty Safe of Texas. I bought a RSC there years ago- my experience with them is dated but they were super to deal with and had very competitive pricing, competent delivery and install people. Also had a great selection of in stock product.

That is the same place I purchased my Amsec years ago. They also deliver and install. Personally, i feel if you want a serious safe and have the funds to buy one, stay away from "sporting goods store" brands.
Agree... I've not got the largest collection but between myself and my twin boys we do together.. Plus like I was saying in my OP that I'm looking at a very possible FFL business.. I am filing my articles of incorporation next week for the business and then will get the forms filled out and sent off to ATF.. So I've got a little bit of time but want everything in place and ready to go... And since I would be purchasing under the business, it would be a nice tax write-off.

Thanks for the info, I will defiantly check them out.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

There are a lot of YouTubes about safes - what to look for, pros and cons, etc. Very educational.
-Ruark

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I'll add my vote for The Safe Company of Garland. I bought my safe from them 8-1/2 years ago.

A few years later, when a lightning strike killed my safe lights, I went to them to by a replacement controller. They gave me a new one and wouldn't let me pay for it.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

03Lightningrocks

Pawpaw wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:13 pm I'll add my vote for The Safe Company of Garland. I bought my safe from them 8-1/2 years ago.

A few years later, when a lightning strike killed my safe lights, I went to them to by a replacement controller. They gave me a new one and wouldn't let me pay for it.
Wow, it looks like several of us have bought there. Pretty good testimony.

NewGunGuy3

Post by NewGunGuy3 »

Count me as another satisfied Safe Company customer. They treated me very, very well.

Btw, I see Amsec has changed their “entry” level safes from BF to BFX. Better, more robust door locking system.

One piece of advise - buy bigger than you think you need. Seriously. Bigger. If you go with Amsec and their fireproof safes all of a sudden jewelry and personal papers will be there. And guns never multiply on their own. :clapping: :clapping: Seriously, bigger.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Not to hijack the OP's post, but would The Safe Company of Garland also have options for a manufactured home? I'm moving next weekend (buying a house), and while it'll be a bit before I can pull the trigger, I'd like to start looking at options.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

flechero wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:03 pm I bought a RSC there years ago
what flechero said. RSC. There's a difference between a safe & a residential security container. Since you're going
to use it for a FFL business, you might want to check to see if your insurance specifies. Just saying. YMMV
My wife got a Liberty floor model (rsc) at a great price from cabelas 4 yrs ago. I'm a happy guy. Bolt it down.

:txflag: :patriot:

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I bought my Liberty safe online, but researched who the local locksmith would be delivering and installing. My locksmith is in South Fort Worth - A1 Locksmith on Hulen. So if you have a specific brand you are interested in, you might search the company for who the local locksmith is for them.

I too recommend avoiding the Sporting goods stores, Tractor Supply, etc. if you can afford and want a higher quality safe.
Ron
NRA Member

03Lightningrocks

rtschl wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:25 pm I bought my Liberty safe online, but researched who the local locksmith would be delivering and installing. My locksmith is in South Fort Worth - A1 Locksmith on Hulen. So if you have a specific brand you are interested in, you might search the company for who the local locksmith is for them.

I too recommend avoiding the Sporting goods stores, Tractor Supply, etc. if you can afford and want a higher quality safe.
Our local A1 locksmith here in Plano sells safes. I was there for a locksmith on one of our work vans so I did not pay attention to what brands they carried.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I've never dealt with The Safe Company, though I have been in to their showroom a while back. I've been dealing with Michael's Lock and Key for years now and have made all my safe purchases through them. Jay Reed at the Colleyville location off of Hwy 26 is my go-to for anything I need here locally. Have been a very pleased customer of theirs (for safes and other needs) for more than a decade now. Add to that their delivery guys are the best I've ever seen; very professional and have all the right tools to safely move safes across all types of surfaces (we went across tile and wood without issue).

NewGunGuy3 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:42 pm
Btw, I see Amsec has changed their “entry” level safes from BF to BFX. Better, more robust door locking system.

One piece of advise - buy bigger than you think you need. Seriously. Bigger. If you go with Amsec and their fireproof safes all of a sudden jewelry and personal papers will be there. And guns never multiply on their own. :clapping: :clapping: Seriously, bigger.
Just to clarify, the BF/BFX series is several steps above entry level, as the TF, SF, and NF are all lesser size/security models in their gun safe line. The BF/X series is the sweet spot though for value and protection for the average homeowner. I have a BF6030 that I've been very happy with. 1100 lbs. and very solid. Also have a smaller NF model inside a closet due to space constraints and have been equally pleased, though the finish out on the inside isn't quite as nice. Overall I'm sold on AMSEC as far as their RSC lines go.

I'll also add that the advice to buy bigger is always spot on.
Last edited by SigM4 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Since you're in Frisco I remembered that Nebraska Furniture Mart sells Liberty Safes. For Frisco they offer free driveway/garage delivery and over $400 for in home delivery.

All the talk about the Safe Company brought back memories. My first job after moving to Dallas in 1977 was at D-TEX Electronics, which was in the same building as the Safe Company.
Charlie

ELB

Post by ELB »

If you search eBay for "TL-15" and "TL-30" you can find real UL rated safes, not RSC "gun safes" for often very good prices. It may take awhile to find big enough, and close enough to your location, to suit you but they do appear. If you are in hurry this not a great option, but if you are willing to spend some time shopping, you may find a great deal.

Also take note of who is selling the safe, it's often a middleman who is buying them cheap off of someone who has to unload the safe (like a closing jewelry store) and he may offer other services like shipping (there are probably some in Dallas). He also may deal regularly in used safes, so if you can find one close enough to suit you, you can watch his offerings and/or let him know what you are looking for. I would have a good locksmith over the lockwork, which is not free, but again the whole package may not cost much more than a new gunsafe and it will be vastly more secure.

picclick.com is a good way to search ebay in a hurry -- just search on TL-30 or TL-15 and it brings up lots of pictures of safes for sale. It's usually easy to pick out the ones large enough to handle long guns. Unfortunately I can't find away to reliably search on location (e.g. "Texas" or "Dallas") so have to wade through ones that are way too far away, but if you have patience you can come across some interesting deals.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”