Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Pistol red dot

Post by Teamless »

I have a Burris on my performance center M&P
It’s decent but not great

My B-I-L has a Holosun (not sure which model- but has solar power and shake awake) and the dot is much nicer and I certainly acquire the target slightly faster

My question for you that have pistol red dots, with a budget of about $500 (less is better of course -
If not sacrificing)

I would like pistol red dot with Shake Awake and Solar

I will be putting it on my Springfield XDm Elite OSP with suppressor height sights

What do you run that meets that, or you know of which should meet these criteria?

Thanks!
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pistol red dot

Post by SigM4 »

Your “shake awake” and solar criteria means you’re mostly stuck with the Holosun offerings. There may be a few other off-brand red dots with these features, but none of your other big names are offering these in combo.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have three Leupold DeltaPoint Pro sights on pistols and one Holosun 507K. All have the shake awake feature. I'm now sold on the Holosun 507K. I discussed the ring reticle in another thread. Below is a copy of the post in question.

Chas.
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:42 pm Update on my Holosun 507K milled into my CZ 75D PCR:

I finally got to the range a few days ago to test my 507K with the circle/dot reticle. I had previously sighted it in using only the 2 MOA dot. The circle is 32 MOA which is 16" at 50 yds, 8" at 25 yds and 4" at 12.5 yds. My theory was that I should be able to put the circle on the upper chest of an IDPA target at any distance out to at least 25 yds and all rounds would land inside the 8" 0-down ring on the target. My theory was correct, but that's only part of the story. The sight is fast, amazingly fast! Our monthly IDPA match Saturday, Nov. 28th was rained out, so I didn't get a chance to test the reticle further under match conditions. I suspect my times and points-down will be significantly lower.

I must confess that I thought the circle or circle/dot reticles would be pretty much useless on a handgun. I'm happy to be wrong. For people unfamiliar with IDPA targets, the 0-down ring on the target is in the upper chest in an area that contains the vitals that would most likely end a deadly threat. (Click on the target to see a larger version.) Being able to rapidly put rounds in the 0-down ring at virtually any reasonable pistol distance is not only a major benefit in a match, it might mean the difference between going home or going to the morgue if you face a deadly assault.

I plan to test this theory at 50 yds where the circle will be 16". That's still 2" less than the industry standard of 18" shoulder-to-shoulder for an average man. The vertical mark at 12 o'clock should make lateral alignment easier as you can simply align it under the head. It obviously won't work at 100 yds. but a pistol fight at that distance is highly unlikely.

Chas.

Topic author
Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teamless »

Charles
Thanks so much for the info

I was already leaning towards the Holosun, but was thinking maybe Trijicon or Leopoldo would good options
However both are $$$$

Appreciate you - always for your great information and education
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”