Aluminum Frame 1911 45 ACP

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 4

Aluminum Frame 1911 45 ACP

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have some questions for my 1911 brethren. I have carried an all steel full size 1911 but it gets really heavy after a full day. I decided that I wanted an aluminum frame commander length barreled 1911 for a carry gun and pondered that for several years. Buds had a Dan Wesson Valkyrie in 45 ACP (aluminum frame commander with an officer length grip) on sale just before Christmas 2019 and I bought it. It is a dream to carry at 28 oz and is a very nice pistol but you do know you are shooting a 45 when firing this thing. I did noticed that the slide rubbed on the top of the ejector (at the back) as well as the top of the slide at the back. I contacted Dan Wesson this week about that and they said it was normal for a 1911 and that I should not be concerned (I sent them pictures so they could see the rubs). I have not seen that on my steel 1911s (Springfield). The rubs did clear but it bothers me that the rubs occurred, especially on the aluminum. Have any of you seen this on your 1911s?

Next question is what have you seen as the service life (based on round count) of an aluminum frame 1911? I liked the first one I got so much that I found a good deal on another one and bought it so that I could practice with one pistol and carry the other (that did not have much use on it). I tried to get in touch with Dan Wesson a year ago to ask the question of service life but there was no one there to talk to because of covid according to the folks with CZ. I contacted a couple of other 1911 manufacturers of aluminum frame 1911s and they told me there was no service life time limit (based on round count) on their aluminum frame 1911s. When I contacted Dan Wesson about the rubs, I asked about service life based on round count and they told me that they expected about 20,000 rounds. I am 5000 rounds plus on the one I practice with and was very disappointed to hear the response from Dan Wesson since they only have a 5 year warranty on their pistols. I plan to shoot it until it fails (if that happens) then get a steel frame for the pistol and have that fitted to the remaining Dan Wesson parts. Just curious what others have seen with their aluminum frame 1911s.

Thanks,

John

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Aluminum Frame 1911 45 ACP

Post by jb2012 »

I’m not much help on this one, but 20,000 seems low for a handgun in all reality. That’s 300 rounds a month for not much longer than 5 years. MANY people shoot more than 300/month.

Topic author
LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Agreed. I will blow past 20,000 rounds on the "practice" pistol well before the warranty is up. Dan Wesson told me that this pistol was designed to be a carry pistol and not to be shot a lot. I am surprised that they would put that in an email to me. I told them that they should put this in the description of the pistol on their website so that everyone knows what they are buying.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I have two Dan Wesson's, A V-BOB and a Guardian, both in .45ACP.

They are essentially the same pistol except for the frames. The V-BOB is all stainless and the Guardian has an aluminum frame. I can't tell a bit of difference in recoil between the two. My Guardian is not showing the wear you describe.

I also don't see why service life should be so low. All the parts that take the brunt of the recoil are steel. The only notable problem I've heard of with an aluminum frame is the feed ramp. That's why most manufacturers, including DW, have gone to ramped barrels.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have several 1911s, but only three have aluminum frames. I don't shoot the aluminum framed guns nearly as much as the all steel guns, due to the difference in recoil. I probably have anywhere between 5K and 10K through two - a lightweight Commander in .45ACP and a Springfield Champion also in .45ACP. I have about 5K to 6K through a Kimber in 9mm. None of them show any signs of abnormal wear, but I have no idea what to expect as a service life.

I view my aluminum-framed guns primarily as carry guns, rather than range guns. I shoot them enough to remain proficient, but I use my steel guns for volume shooting. If I were to ever shoot an aluminum frame "loose," or to the point of cracking, I would simply buy a Fusion Firearms or Caspian "gunsmith" (over-sized) frame and have it fitted to the slide. I suspect that would be well over 20K, unless you shoot a lot of +P or +P+ ammo.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Pawpaw wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:02 pm . . . The only notable problem I've heard of with an aluminum frame is the feed ramp. That's why most manufacturers, including DW, have gone to ramped barrels.
This is absolutely true. I would not have an aluminium-framed gun without a ramped barrel.

Chas.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I have a factory ported commander that is the older model, shoots almost as good as my full size. The wife also likes it

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:11 pm
Pawpaw wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:02 pm . . . The only notable problem I've heard of with an aluminum frame is the feed ramp. That's why most manufacturers, including DW, have gone to ramped barrels.
This is absolutely true. I would not have an aluminium-framed gun without a ramped barrel.

Chas.
I’ve owned and carried a couple of aluminum framed 1911s in the past—a 4” Sig, and a 3” Kimber. The Kimber ran flawlessly once it got past an initial defective slide stop issue. I don’t remember the exact round count before I sold it to another forum member, but it certainly wasn’t more than 1000 rounds. But during all but the first few rounds, it was perfect. I ditched the Sig after maybe less than 200 rounds because it was VERY unreliable, and the problem was unresponsive to different ammunition types, as well as a polishing the ramp, etc. Both guns had ramped bushingless barrels.

But as far as range toys go, like you Charles, I preferred steel-framed 1911s, and still do.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have a 1911sc that is stadium frame and as I understand it mixed with aluminum. It is light weight compared to steel and about the same as my aluminum models. If I had to guess I would say over 50,000 rounds or more over the years. No issues at all with it and I carry it probably more than any other I have.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Folks,

Thank you for the replies and input. RPBrown, glad to hear that your 1911 has gone 50,000 rounds.

I am shooting mine a lot as I am on the Emergency Response Team at church and have to cover one of the pastors. The Dan Wessons are what I carry when on duty at church. Shooting an officer size grip is different than shooting a full size grip and I want to be proficient with the aluminum frame officer grip pistol that I carry. I do shoot the full size and have one of those in my bag with my Bible just in case.

I will shoot the Dan Wesson until it fails (if it does) then put a steel frame on it as Charles mentioned. Then, it should be good to go for as long as I live.

FWIW, these Dan Wessons do have a ramped barrel. They will function flawlessly with 200 grain SWC and the carry ammo that I use.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Some magazine followers can move forward and gouge the aluminum feed-ramp after feeding the last round; just something to be aware of.

Topic author
LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Andy,

Thank you for the information. Fortunately, the feed ramps are on the barrels on the Dan Wessons that I have.

John

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”