To RMR or not to RMR

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 2

To RMR or not to RMR

Post by Odinvalknir »

I have been doing some looking and thinking lately. I finally bought a new weapon to replace my old 1st gen m&p 9c. It's a great little gun, but even with all the upgrades and such I've made to make it fit my wants and needs as a carry weapon, it is showing some age. I recently got my hands on a P320 XC that is to be my new daily after I put a few hundred or thousand rounds through to ensure it's reliability. (Providing I can find that much ammo to blaze through at the range). It comes pre cut to accept a RMR sight, and I've been curious to see just how many people actually use an RMR on their daily carry.

I've always been just fine with iron sights. In fact I've put tritium night sights on all of my automatic pistols, that coupled with a weapon mounted flashlight is about as far as I usually go with gadgets on my pistols. However I have shot a few pistols with mounted sights and they are fantastic for quick sight to target acquisition, and have been very comfortable picking up a gun that has one and being able to shoot accurately with it immediately.

Maybe I will buy one of Sig's RMR sights to try it out. But I'm still curious how many people have done so and what anyone else's thoughts are.

TL;DR
I'm debating whether or not to put a RMR on my new P320XC which will be my new daily carry weapon of choice. What are your thoughts on RMRs and do you have one on your edc weapon?

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Re: To RMR or not to RMR

Post by KC5AV »

I have a Glock 19 mos with a Burris Fast Fire III. I'm still trying to decide what to replace the Burris with, but I'm sold on red dots on pistols.
NRA lifetime member

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Seems like quite a few are running red dots on their carry guns, and more and more every day. I haven’t made that move just yet, originally because I’m old school and like irons, but it’s low on my list of projects now. I personally have red dots without back up irons on rifles, why wouldn’t I trust the RMR on a pistol??
KC5AV wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 pm I have a Glock 19 mos with a Burris Fast Fire III. I'm still trying to decide what to replace the Burris with, but I'm sold on red dots on pistols.
RMR is the way to go for sure. It’s arguably more rugged and I see them on sale on gun.deals for $350 pretty regularly.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

My biggest issue with it, is since I have an astigmatism, red dots are little star bursts for me. So I need to find a holographic RMR I suppose. Anyone know If the sig romeo 0 or 1 are holographic, or red dots?

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I've got a Trijicon on my G19 and I have been perfectly happy with it, I can use the co-witness sights or the RMR to aim with. I thought it would be too bulky but I do not even notice it with the RMR on it.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

All my pistols that I carry now all have RMR’s. First one is a Glock 43X and the second one is a Shadow System M920. I am not much in the “pre-cut” slides because I like the sight to set as deep as possible. The Shadow System however is pre-cut, but they have done their homework and have it cut as low as you can go.

This was my first carry gun with a Romeo 1 sight on it. I have just sold it to another Forum member.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Carl, is that War Port gun worth the squeeze?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Red dots are absolutely worth it.

They won’t turn a bad shooter into a good one, but they are an improvement.
TANSTAAFL

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

Odinvalknir wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:28 pm My biggest issue with it, is since I have an astigmatism, red dots are little star bursts for me. So I need to find a holographic RMR I suppose. Anyone know If the sig romeo 0 or 1 are holographic, or red dots?
You need to pick up a Holosun 507C. Has 3 reticle options including the EOTECh style ring.

I have astigmatism too and it works well.

I don’t like the RMRs because the window is small, only one reticle option and you have to remove to replace the battery and I don’t think the price is worth it IMO.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I'm usually an early adopter and I really like red dots with backup irons on long guns, but I'm going to be a slow adopter of RMR's on carry guns. My biggest reasons are bulletproof reliability, prior training, and cost.

Reliability is primary. I know the red dots have come a long way and are very reliable with long battery life, but they still depend on circuitry, batteries, and glass. Irons just don't have these additional points of failure.

All my prior training is with irons, and I have Trijicon HD's with the big painted dot around the tritium front that just automatically locks itself on target as I bring the gun up. Learning to use a red dot would require retraining, and I'd have to equip all my carry guns with it to bring it to the same level of trained performance. A police instructor friend who teaches a red dot pistol instructor course told me it takes a good deal of effort and at least a thousand rounds to become competent with an RMR.

RMR's are still half the cost of a pistol, and I'd rather spend the money on ammo.

There are additional considerations for limited occurrence situations like interference from water droplets (rain) and condensation (going from a cold environment into a heated one) interfering with a clear sight picture.

I may eventually see the new light, but for now I'm sticking with irons on handguns.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:11 am Carl, is that War Port gun worth the squeeze?
Yes it is a sweet pistol. Sent you a PM.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I haven't done it yet, but I'm confident it's the way of the future.

While skill and technique can buy you a lot... modern, reliable optics add more. While I still have some rifles with irons, and can use them to a high level, in close quarters I'd much rather have a rifle with an EOTech.

Looking at high standards like the modern samurai project, every Black Belt Recipient used a red dot sight to achieve the standard. All but 2 were using a Trijicon optic.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Excaliber wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:37 am I may eventually see the new light, but for now I'm sticking with irons on handguns.
Same. When I ever get spare funds I do want to try one, but right now the juice isn't worth the squeeze for me personally

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”