Am I A Nerd?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

mayor
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Am I A Nerd?

Post by mayor »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:39 pm ... The very best (and just about the only good) part of growing old is caring less and less what other people think of how I look.
I've never really cared. In high school we had hippies, goat ropers, dopers and smart kids. I didn't fit in any clique but associated with all of them - but I didn't smoke their dope. I was one of the smarter kids. I wore what mom and dad could afford. It's been easy for me to care even less. Now I wear whatever works for me - jeans and work boots. OWB holster with cover shirt. If I ever need a man purse, I'll carry that. ;-)

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mayor wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:48 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:39 pm ... The very best (and just about the only good) part of growing old is caring less and less what other people think of how I look.
I've never really cared. In high school we had hippies, goat ropers, dopers and smart kids. I didn't fit in any clique but associated with all of them - but I didn't smoke their dope. I was one of the smarter kids. I wore what mom and dad could afford. It's been easy for me to care even less. Now I wear whatever works for me - jeans and work boots. OWB holster with cover shirt. If I ever need a man purse, I'll carry that. ;-)
And that’s how I usually carry too....regular clothes with a covered OWB holsters ......and again, I just don’t care what people think. The Fanny pack is what I use for things like when I have to go to PT, and all I’m wearing is running shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers. And in that case, the Fanny pack is also carrying other things besides gun and spare mags....like wallet, phone, flashlight, and a lighter.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Greybeard »

What has been working pretty well for me lately is Duluth Tradeing's Firehose pants. The right top pocket is appropriately sized to carry P365 with 12-round mag in a pocket holster. The material felt somewhat thin in cold winds, so maybe that will be a benefit when we get to July.

Coincidently, I just dug out an old "fanny pack" with a semi-large vertical holster attached to the belt. It has 2 large compartments inside plus a small one inside. Plans to get it loaded up with a 9mm with a flashlight/laser, flashlight, 4 ounce OC spray and "dog walking" essentials. And nupe, I too don't give a rat if it looks nerdy.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Greybeard wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:00 pm What has been working pretty well for me lately is Duluth Tradeing's Firehose pants. The right top pocket is appropriately sized to carry P365 with 12-round mag in a pocket holster. The material felt somewhat thin in cold winds, so maybe that will be a benefit when we get to July.

Coincidently, I just dug out an old "fanny pack" with a semi-large vertical holster attached to the belt. It has 2 large compartments inside plus a small one outside. Plans to get it loaded up with a 9mm with a flashlight/laser, flashlight, 4 ounce OC spray and "dog walking essentials". And nupe, I too don't give a rat if it looks nerdy.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Greybeard wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:00 pm What has been working pretty well for me lately is Duluth Tradeing's Firehose pants. The right top pocket is appropriately sized to carry P365 with 12-round mag in a pocket holster. The material felt somewhat thin in cold winds, so maybe that will be a benefit when we get to July.

Coincidently, I just dug out an old "fanny pack" with a semi-large vertical holster attached to the belt. It has 2 large compartments inside plus a small one outside. Plans to get it loaded up with a 9mm with a flashlight/laser, flashlight, 4 ounce OC spray and "dog walking essentials". And nupe, I too don't give a rat if it looks nerdy.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

parabelum wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:45 am Who cares what others think? Only drawback I see with fanny pack is the deployment speed. Have you looked at the belly band holsters? That is my preferred summer choice. I can go on long walks, even runs, with shorts on and my p365 with one spare mag nicely tucked away.
The part I put in bold is my biggest concern with carrying a pistol also. It is why I have never liked the idea of an ankle holster. I have carried a small 380 in my hip pocket when i was forced to because a boss did not know (or did not want to know) I was armed. I have tried IWB and never found it comfortable enough. I have tried a few fanny packs and they worked okay. I particularly liked the Gunny Sack brand and I had one that was really good concealment because it had very small pouches so it really looked like a camera case. The whole front of it was velcro and it stored a full size 1911 with the barrel inside the left (for me) side strap. I also tried a Sneaky Pete which worked well at concealment and was hard to draw from. I could not get a good grip in the holster and would have to shift it in my hand.

I finally decided that my ingrained habit of reaching for the pistol on my right hip in my duty holster was what I should stay with. I bought a decent holster that is OWB and not pulling the pistol tight against my side. Then I bought a vest to wear and for the past couple years, I wear a vest if I am outside of my apartment grounds. I had to practice drawing enough while wearing jackets that moving the vest as I draw is not a problem.

So I think that the conclusion others have stated is the right answer. You be you and do what works for you. As an adult, you don't have to worry about what others think of how you look. And as you get older, you won't care as much. Proof of this is how many old men you see wearing shorts and sandals and black dress socks. But ti works for them.
Steve Rothstein

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

srothstein wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:27 pm
parabelum wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:45 am Who cares what others think? Only drawback I see with fanny pack is the deployment speed. Have you looked at the belly band holsters? That is my preferred summer choice. I can go on long walks, even runs, with shorts on and my p365 with one spare mag nicely tucked away.
The part I put in bold is my biggest concern with carrying a pistol also. It is why I have never liked the idea of an ankle holster. I have carried a small 380 in my hip pocket when i was forced to because a boss did not know (or did not want to know) I was armed. I have tried IWB and never found it comfortable enough. I have tried a few fanny packs and they worked okay. I particularly liked the Gunny Sack brand and I had one that was really good concealment because it had very small pouches so it really looked like a camera case. The whole front of it was velcro and it stored a full size 1911 with the barrel inside the left (for me) side strap. I also tried a Sneaky Pete which worked well at concealment and was hard to draw from. I could not get a good grip in the holster and would have to shift it in my hand.

I finally decided that my ingrained habit of reaching for the pistol on my right hip in my duty holster was what I should stay with. I bought a decent holster that is OWB and not pulling the pistol tight against my side. Then I bought a vest to wear and for the past couple years, I wear a vest if I am outside of my apartment grounds. I had to practice drawing enough while wearing jackets that moving the vest as I draw is not a problem.

So I think that the conclusion others have stated is the right answer. You be you and do what works for you. As an adult, you don't have to worry about what others think of how you look. And as you get older, you won't care as much. Proof of this is how many old men you see wearing shorts and sandals and black dress socks. But ti works for them.
I use the OWB / open front vest / jacket / shirt most of the time until it gets really hot. Then I go for a subcompact .45 or 9mm in a pocket holster in cargo shorts with deep pockets from Cabelas. I use a fanny pack for paddling activities. It's perfect for that and no one ever comments on it.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

allisji

Post by allisji »

I know I'm 2 months late to this discussion thread, but I just found it funny reading about a person who goes by the name mayor and who claims to have been able to get along with all of the different groups of kids in the school.

Old school politician I guess. Nowadays people don't even try to get along with the other side..
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

mayor

Post by mayor »

allisji wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:51 pm
I know I'm 2 months late to this discussion thread, but I just found it funny reading about a person who goes by the name mayor and who claims to have been able to get along with all of the different groups of kids in the school.

Old school politician I guess. Nowadays people don't even try to get along with the other side..
Reread the first sentence. :lol::

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:05 am Image
Yup, by golly, time for another road trip
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I wear Tru-Spec cargo pants year round. My weapon fits in the right side cargo pocket. There are inner pockets that serve as the holster. The barrel and trigger guard slide into the inner pocket. That covers the trigger with a second layer of fabric and holds it secure and upright. In the second inner pocket that is below the weapon grip I carry a Spyderco Assist, https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C79OR/304 knife. In the left side cargo pocket in the rear inner pocket I carry spare mag/ammo for whatever I am carrying. In the front inner pocket I carry two Victorinox knives my best half gave me as they have differing options and both are quite useful to have along. The cargo pocket gives easy access whether sitting or standing and no indication of being prepared.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LDB415 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:54 pm I wear Tru-Spec cargo pants year round. My weapon fits in the right side cargo pocket. There are inner pockets that serve as the holster. The barrel and trigger guard slide into the inner pocket. That covers the trigger with a second layer of fabric and holds it secure and upright. In the second inner pocket that is below the weapon grip I carry a Spyderco Assist, https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C79OR/304 knife. In the left side cargo pocket in the rear inner pocket I carry spare mag/ammo for whatever I am carrying. In the front inner pocket I carry two Victorinox knives my best half gave me as they have differing options and both are quite useful to have along. The cargo pocket gives easy access whether sitting or standing and no indication of being prepared.
What? No box of ammo? Do your legs get tired hauling all that weight around in your britches? :mrgreen:

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I figure one extra standard capacity mag is enough. And it's good exercise. And with wallet, keys, Surefire Titan Plus, Surefire Sidekick, instructor belt etc. it's only 7 pounds total.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:47 pm Open Carry?.........
Yes. Or OWB. I carry my S&W M&P9 M2.0 5" all year 'round. Openly in a Safariland 7TS ALS, concealed in a Vedder Light Draw OWB under an untucked, buttoned shirt. And two 16 round spare mags, IFAk, OC, Kershaw folder. Vertx Phantom 2.0 LT, Nexbelt Titan.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”