Am I A Nerd?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cowhow
Posts in topic: 3

Am I A Nerd?

Post by cowhow »

Texas heat isn't too far away and I was looking at EDC options. I tried one of those deep cover compression shirts and sweltered. IWB isn't my thing either. Sooo...I'm giving some serious thought of pulling out my tactical fanny pack and blowing the dust off of it. No worries about what I wear, easy to carry extra mags, and the firearm is totally concealed. The only problem is will that classify me as a fashion nerd? It's important to keep up with the Vanderbilt's and keep the fashionistas at bay.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Am I A Nerd?

Post by Tex1961 »

NOOOOOOOO.

Seriously though, I stopped worrying about what others thought about me or my choices a long time ago. If it works for you then go for it.

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chasfm11 »

I generally were a long tailed shirt without tucking it. I can strap my fanny pack across my belly and it doesn't show. Of course, I'm in the "portly" size in men's suits so that helps.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
cowhow

Post by cowhow »

I wasn’t going to add that when I pulled the thing out of the closet I guess “closet shrinkage” must have happened. I had to let the strap out more than I’d like to think necessary.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Open Carry?.........

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Who cares what others think? Only drawback I see with fanny pack is the deployment speed. Have you looked at the belly band holsters? That is my preferred summer choice. I can go on long walks, even runs, with shorts on and my p365 with one spare mag nicely tucked away.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

parabelum wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:45 am Who cares what others think? Only drawback I see with fanny pack is the deployment speed. Have you looked at the belly band holsters? That is my preferred summer choice. I can go on long walks, even runs, with shorts on and my p365 with one spare mag nicely tucked away.
So you really like the belly band? I’ve been thinking about looking into one myself for my daily dog walk, finally got the wife certified and was thinking one for her to as she’s not very interested in a regular holster.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I like fanny packs when appropriate.
They make me look like Uncle Grandpa though. :lol:

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:04 am
parabelum wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:45 am Who cares what others think? Only drawback I see with fanny pack is the deployment speed. Have you looked at the belly band holsters? That is my preferred summer choice. I can go on long walks, even runs, with shorts on and my p365 with one spare mag nicely tucked away.
So you really like the belly band? I’ve been thinking about looking into one myself for my daily dog walk, finally got the wife certified and was thinking one for her to as she’s not very interested in a regular holster.
Yep. I started using belly band about two years ago just for summer/shorts carry but I got so adjusted to it that I have also carried it in the winter. Now for me personally, it is the most comfortable with shorts. Jeans at least for me make it a bit awkward feeling. But shorts and belly band not directly over the belly but slightly lowered to your style, fits perfect.
Of course the system you run makes a difference, but my p365 is perfect, with G19 being ok but if I’m going with G19 I would likely stick with traditional setup, unless of course shorts are being worn. Try it out. I think you can get them under $30.
Oh and for it’s worth, if your summer system is a smaller piece like p365, g43 etc. belly band makes it disappear and deployment is fast.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

parabelum wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:20 am
Yep. I started using belly band about two years ago just for summer/shorts carry but I got so adjusted to it that I have also carried it in the winter. Now for me personally, it is the most comfortable with shorts. Jeans at least for me make it a bit awkward feeling. But shorts and belly band not directly over the belly but slightly lowered to your style, fits perfect.
Of course the system you run makes a difference, but my p365 is perfect, with G19 being ok but if I’m going with G19 I would likely stick with traditional setup, unless of course shorts are being worn. Try it out. I think you can get them under $30.
Oh and for it’s worth, if your summer system is a smaller piece like p365, g43 etc. belly band makes it disappear and deployment is fast.
Thanks, I run a little pocket .380 on my walk or like you my gym shorts that only have elastic waistband. What brand do you have.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:26 am
parabelum wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:20 am
Thanks, I run a little pocket .380 on my walk or like you my gym shorts that only have elastic waistband. What brand do you have.
I run the one below (yea...Amazon...hold your nose...).
So far I’m on my original one I bought two years ago roughly. Throw it in a wash occasionally and roll on.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

No nose holding here, I’ve bought plenty of firearm related items there. Actually I sell firearm related items on Amazon, it pays the mortgage. But thanks again, I think I’ll grab one.

Topic author
cowhow

Post by cowhow »

Funny you should ask that as I was just looking at them on Amazon. For some reason I have never tried one, I guess I was concerned about comfort. Speaking of comfort, that's the number one issue I had with the compression shirt. Man was it hot and you mention deployment speed, those things take forever to reach and deploy your firearm. But, yeah, I may just give a belly band a shot.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

cowhow wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:20 pm
Funny you should ask that as I was just looking at them on Amazon. For some reason I have never tried one, I guess I was concerned about comfort. Speaking of comfort, that's the number one issue I had with the compression shirt. Man was it hot and you mention deployment speed, those things take forever to reach and deploy your firearm. But, yeah, I may just give a belly band a shot.
There’s always going to be an element of compromise of sorts, regardless of IWB, fanny pack, OWB, belly band, comfort shirt etc. Just try out different options and go with what works best for you.
For me personally, as I go on long walks and live in Texas, shorts are pretty much my attire for large % of me being outside. I tried 5.11 style shorts with OWB, IWB and forget about it. Talk about uncomfortable when you get sweaty and hot. Belly band, while still somewhat buggy, seems to bother me the least. Just make sure you wash it often in the summer time and clean your carry rig more frequently (sweat...).

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:06 am I like fanny packs when appropriate.
They make me look like Uncle Grandpa though. :lol:

I’m really bad about it. When I use my fanny pack, I carry it like a sling bag, over my shoulder and across my chest, so that the pockets are either right in front of me, or just under my strong side arm. The very best (and just about the only good) part of growing old is caring less and less what other people think of how I look.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”