Ammo storage

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Ammo storage

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have been storing most of my ammo in my non-insulated garage in the Houston area. The ammo is in surplus GI ammo cans (mostly .50 cal cans), with desiccant packs in them.

I recently read on another forum that it is a bad idea to subject ammo to high heat / severe temperature swings. My question is how significant is this risk, from a realistic perspective. As y'all know temperatures in the summer can get over 100 degrees, and we recently had temps below 10 degrees (albeit that was a very rare event). I'm just not sure whether this qualifies as "high temperatures" or "severe temperature swings" regarding ammo storage.

What do y'all think? Is it safe to store ammo in ammo cans in the garage, or should i try to fit it all under beds in the house?

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ammo storage

Post by jrs_diesel »

I’ve done it that same way (minus the dessicant packs) for years with no apparent problems with any of my ammo.
J.R.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jrs_diesel wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:07 pm I’ve done it that same way (minus the dessicant packs) for years with no apparent problems with any of my ammo.
I've also had no issues after 10+ years of storage for some ammo. Just thinking about the potential need for even more long-term storage if the ammo shortages continue to get worse.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Have 30k ish rounds sitting outside in garage in 50cal ammo cans with desiccant packs I have collected from electronics. The longest ammo has been out there for 20ish years. 7.62x54r and 357 mag. Last year I went through 150 rounds of 357. No problems. A couple of years ago I opened a spam can of the 54r and ran about 50 rounds. No problems and that can was original Russian milsurp with no desiccant.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I think you're good. I've go ammo from the 1960's. I even have some Winchester and Peters .22LR from that era that was under 5 feet of water in a flooded storage facility. Still shoots fine.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”