Officer Involved Emergency Room Shooting

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Officer Involved Emergency Room Shooting

Post by Excaliber »

This video shows an extended (over 15 minutes) encounter between a violent suspect / patient and two officers in an emergency room setting. It goes from a routine removal of items from the suspect's pockets to discovery of a gun on the suspect, through multiple unsuccessful taser deployments, an out of battery LEO pistol deployment, an unsuccessful tap/rack failure fix attempt at bout the 8:20 mark and an ultimately successful rip/insert/rack maneuver using one of his spare magazines to replace the one he ejected. This should give pause to folks who carry only a magazine in the gun, and ultimately a multiple shot engagement that the suspect loses.

There's a whole lot to learn from here, including consideration of why with at least 6 officers deployed at the incident, only two were in the room with the suspect and one officer was left alone to struggle with the suspect on the floor for an extended period of time while all the others just pointed firearms and tasers until the shooting started. Another big question is how one officer's pistol came to be out of battery when first deployed from the holster.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Officer Involved Emergency Room Shooting

Post by philip964 »

When this video was sent to me by a friend, I thought it was a video I had already seen, that was one of a man on a bus on drugs. There was the same calm almost friendly talk by the officer trying to get the patient into the ambulance and to comply with simple requests. That ended in a big shoot out with a bystander even being shot by the perp.

Here the man is much younger. Same polite almost friendly police being so so patient with this guy.

I guess he kept his gun in his crotch. Was that missed in the search before he got in the ambulance? I fast forwarded through that part.

That poor police officer trying to get his gun Unjammed. Geez.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

Excaliber wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:56 am ...and one officer was left alone to struggle with the suspect on the floor for an extended period of time while all the others just pointed firearms and tasers until the shooting started...
Yeah, that did seem...strange. If I were that cop on the floor I would be raising heck with those cops and their supervisors.

Maybe they were afraid of being Chauvinized.
USAF 1982-2005

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Wow! That was absolutely crazy! What on earth causes a guy to try and pull a gun on five cops? Just nuts!

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:50 pm Wow! That was absolutely crazy! What on earth causes a guy to try and pull a gun on five cops? Just nuts!
Rational thinking isn't a strong suit among most of the criminally inclined. This is doubly true when under the influence.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Excaliber wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:47 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:50 pm Wow! That was absolutely crazy! What on earth causes a guy to try and pull a gun on five cops? Just nuts!
Rational thinking isn't a strong suit among most of the criminally inclined. This is doubly true when under the influence.
It is frightening to think that this may be the exact kind of crazy we could run into in a self defense situation.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Excaliber wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:56 am...an out of battery LEO pistol deployment, an unsuccessful tap/rack failure fix attempt at bout the 8:20 mark and an ultimately successful rip/insert/rack maneuver using one of his spare magazines to replace the one he ejected.
Wasn't out of battery on deployment. Officer induced this malfunction on his first shot. Not criticizing the officer as this is a life or death struggle, and God bless them, but check time mark 8:29. Support hand thumb is behind the slide, fires, induces malfunction. Peak stress as he's trying to identify and correct the issue.

Glad they all made it out safely.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Scott B. wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:42 am
Excaliber wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:56 am...an out of battery LEO pistol deployment, an unsuccessful tap/rack failure fix attempt at bout the 8:20 mark and an ultimately successful rip/insert/rack maneuver using one of his spare magazines to replace the one he ejected.
Wasn't out of battery on deployment. Officer induced this malfunction on his first shot. Not criticizing the officer as this is a life or death struggle, and God bless them, but check time mark 8:29. Support hand thumb is behind the slide, fires, induces malfunction. Peak stress as he's trying to identify and correct the issue.

Glad they all made it out safely.
I didn't see that he had fired - good catch.
Excaliber

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I didn't see that he had fired - good catch.
Had to slow it way down to figure it out. The officer's reactions after he got his firearm back in action is interesting. Not sure if it took him out of the fight mentally or not. I thought he had a much better position and a safer shooting angle than the officers outside of the room. Suppose his main priority was staying out of their line of fire.

Wish the public could see more videos like this with everything in context instead of the 5 second snippets they rush to judgement on.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”