Today, was a bucket list day!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Today, was a bucket list day!

Post by cmgee67 »

Today I finally got the check off a bucket list item. I recently received my First M1 Garand from the CMP. It is a June of 1944 Springfield. Both of my Grandfathers served in the military. One in WW2 and other during Korea in the national guard stateside. They both trained and used the M1. I was very young when my eldest Grandfather passed. He had 5 bronze Stars and Was in the battle of the Bulge and all over Europe. My Grandfather that is still alive has told me stories of him and the M1. He said it was his favorite rifle and always wished he could have one. It has been a goal of mine to get one and shoot it with him while he is still with us. Coincidentally him and the rifle are the same age. Today the good Lord made it happen. He picked it up and immediately was a young 20 something year old man again. It was a very moving and emotional day. I also shared this experience with my Dad. I had to share this story. I hope it was enjoyable for you to read. Take care God bless!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Today, was a bucket list day!

Post by carlson1 »

That is a great story my friend. I am so glad you were able to have this time and make it a lasting memory. I knew none of my grandfathers and I only knew one grandmother.

Hope all is well with you and your dear wife.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Congrats!! What a great experience for both of you! Today is a memory you both will keep as long as you live!

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Wonderful, just wonderful.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Thanks for sharing that heartwarming story! :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

They don't make days much better than that. I hope you get lots more of them while he is still with you. Please pass along a thank you for his service.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I will pass it along. Thank you for the kind words. And your right, days like that just don’t seem to come too often and when they do you have to seize the moment. I surprised him last week with the rifle and he immediately went to parade rest grabbed the rifle racked the bolt and proceeded to tell me how they used to make them stand and show clear. The rifle was a tack driver. 100 yards holes touching was impressive. It sure knocked that steel around. I wouldn’t hesitate carrying that old war horse. It has quickly become my favorite rifle as well.

jmra

Post by jmra »

That is awesome. The M1 is on my short list. I have my FIL’s M1911A1 that he carried during WW2 (all matching numbers) along with the holster, magazines, and some of the actual ammo he was issued. Would love to display a period rifle with it.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Suddenly misty in here.

Thanks for sharing your story. Awesome.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

howdy

Post by howdy »

I have 3 M1 Garands from CMP. My first one is a January of 1942 model and the other 2 are CMP Specials. The specials have a new barrel and CMP stock. Two of the rifles are Springfield's and one is an H&R. I have never fired the Specials but I did shoot the 1942 model. CMP, at one time had 200 round cans of loose surplus ammo for the guns for $97 but they no longer offer it. You can still buy the enbloc clips there. (I have 3 adult children so I bought a rifle for each of them to inherit) Getting a rifle is fairly easy. You must have proof of shooting experience (LTC qualifies or if a Veteran) and you must be a member of a shooting organization. (Texas Rifle Association qualifies). Fill out the application on line, choose the quality of rifle you want (if in stock) and they ship it to your home. They do have Field grade for $650 and Service grade (look closely in the section....most are sold out but the second one down is available) for $750.
https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Great story. Proud for both.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

cmgee67 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:06 pm He picked it up and immediately was a young 20 something year old man again. It was a very moving and emotional day. I also shared this experience with my Dad. I had to share this story. I hope it was enjoyable for you to read. Take care God bless!
:thewave

philip964

Post by philip964 »

So glad you got to do this! Really awesome.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”