If you had the carry choice

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

If you had the carry choice

Post by cmgee67 »

A topic I’ve often thought about is, what gun would I EDC if I didn’t have stay concealed at work? I would most likely carry my Glock 21. But since I cannot I carry the 43 with taran tactical plus 2 extensions.

What would be your choice and your everyday if life allowed it?

Yes I know there are those of you who are retired that get to pick their choice everyday.... rub it in if you want to

Syntyr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: If you had the carry choice

Post by Syntyr »

Because I am such a Manly Teutonic Operator "rlol" I would go with a pair of HK Mark 23 45s!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

JRG

Post by JRG »

Well, I am retired, and carry what I want. Since December of 2020 I have been carrying my Glock 48MOS. I do not have a red dot for it at this point, but this is a sweet gun! All my larger guns that I might want to carry happen to be double stacks so that adds quite a bit of weight, hence going with the G 48.

I just with I could find one of those Shield 15 round mags for it. I currently carry it with the OEM 10 rounder and a backup 10 rounder on my belt.

Joe

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

I too am retired as of 1-Feb-21

I EDC a G-26 and carry 1 X Spare Magazine.

I could not carry at work as I was Overseas and/or Offshore most of the time. And when I was in Field office locations in USA it was No Carry or even have in vehicle. Especially Company Trucks. The company did Searches and men were fired over even having a box of ammunition in personal vehicles in the USA.

So my EDC did not change upon retirement.
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

cirus

Post by cirus »

I'm not retired and carry whatever. Only time I'll carry a spare mag is when totting a 1911 and then not always. Things get that bad that I feel the need for extra mags I'll switch to something with a 60 round drum.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cmgee67 »

Syntyr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:21 pm Because I am such a Manly Teutonic Operator "rlol" I would go with a pair of HK Mark 23 45s!
Pics or it didn’t happen. :lol:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I too am retired, and get to carry however I wish. I've been packing a Beretta 9mm px4SC for years inside the waist with shirt covering it for years. I can't think of a reason to change.

Oh ,once in a while I'll open carry my P95 but after lugging it for a while I miss my little beretta.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I'd carry a 1911 of some type.

Lena

Post by Lena »

No change here Gen 2 Glock 32 of some days a Gen Officer 1911 with spare mags for each one Sometimes fixing fences a S&W 66 2-1/2" with shot shells in 3 holes The only restricted times were working for Dallas SO then a 4" S&W 19 later the 66, soon as I moved on a 5" 1911.
Stay Safe

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

I’m self employed, mostly working from home but now spending more time at the range teaching or testing. While still prefer CC with my Shield (almost bought the Shield plus today), I guess it would be my CZ75 compact.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Lately, even though work makes me carry concealed, I have decided that a small gun in a hard to get to holster is just not worth carrying. I switched back to OWB carry and I am carrying a Springfield XDM in 10mm. I like a full size pistol and would probably go back to my 1911 if I decided not to carry this. I have to admit that I like my Springfield XD in 45 also though.
Steve Rothstein

E10

Post by E10 »

I do have a choice. My wife and I have our own business, Depending on my mood and the day's dress, I openly carry:

Colt Commander .45 ACP
Ruger Speed-Six .357 Magnum
Beretta 92 Compact 9mm
Beretta 84 .380 ACP

Most people don't notice. Those that do either voice approval or keep their opinions to themselves. The kids love it. If anyone asks, I'm the First Responder.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

E10 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:52 pm I do have a choice. My wife and I have our own business, Depending on my mood and the day's dress, I openly carry:

Colt Commander .45 ACP
Ruger Speed-Six .357 Magnum
Beretta 92 Compact 9mm
Beretta 84 .380 ACP

Most people don't notice. Those that do either voice approval or keep their opinions to themselves. The kids love it. If anyone asks, I'm the First Responder.
I have Beretta’s in 22, 32, 380 and 9mm. Just need to get 40 and 45 to finish my collection.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

srothstein wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:43 pm Lately, even though work makes me carry concealed, I have decided that a small gun in a hard to get to holster is just not worth carrying. I switched back to OWB carry and I am carrying a Springfield XDM in 10mm. I like a full size pistol and would probably go back to my 1911 if I decided not to carry this. I have to admit that I like my Springfield XD in 45 also though.
What Steve said! I wish I had a stable of 10mm, but I don't. I decided a long time ago to limit the calibers I keep, and while I have some regrets, when ammo availability is tight it always reinforces my decision. My OWB EDC has ended up being a bi-tone Springfield XDm in .40 with tritium sights. I don't mind the actual weight, but I don't like weight imbalance, so I always carry two spare mags on the other hip. The gun is fairly flat for 16+1 capacity, and it's always run flawlessly for me, including with subsonic ammo.

I always carry at least one spare mag, regardless. As much for the chance of a stoppage that might be helped by a different mag than for the extra ammo. But for the Springer I download one (old habit) so EDC 46 rounds. Two is one and one is none, and all that. I added the .40 S&W to the mix a long time ago, before it became a...er, somewhat despised caliber. It can't sling lead at .357 Magnum velocities like a 10mm, but there are good defensive ammo options for it and the caliber's nothing to sneeze at.

I don't shoot anything better than I do a 1911. If I need something easier to conceal than the Springer, I carry a Commander-size 1911 IWB...with two spare mags. But truth be told, if I ever were forced to use one, the Springer cost less than half as much and it would be less painful to have in evidence lock-up for many months. I used to have a double-stack 2011 from STI on my wish list, but then they changed their name to Staccato in May 2020 and stopped making .45 ACP pistols. I mean, that's what the 2011 was, a .45 ACP. Anybody know the story behind that?
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Compact Commander (commander length barrel with officer length grip) aluminum frame 1911 in 45 ACP. 7 + 1 in pistol and two extra magazines on the other side that are 8 round magazines. OWB holster. Grip it tightly and it is amazingly accurate. Very comfortable to carry all day.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”