When will the Gov. sign Constitutional Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

When will the Gov. sign Constitutional Carry

Post by cmgee67 »

Since constitutional carry passed the senate, when will the governor sign it into law?

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: When will the Gov. sign Constitutional Carry

Post by Papa_Tiger »

cmgee67 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:58 pm Since constitutional carry passed the senate, when will the governor sign it into law?
HB 1927 Still has several steps to go through before it can be signed by the governor.

If it gets through those steps the governor will likely sign it sometime after June 1 and it will be effective September 1.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

The house has to approve the changes the Senate made to the bill, or send it to conference committee then both houses approve that final version. If either of those don't happen then he won't be able to sign it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

cirus

Post by cirus »

With the current state of the country its not gonna matter if it gets signed or not. What good is CC if ammo is nonexistent and the feds are coming for your guns? Banning assault weapons and high capacity mags?

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

Understood. Thank you for the answers. I have been trying to get clear information so far it’s been like reading through mud. We al thought it would not get this far. Hopefully it keeps chugging forward over the finish line

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

cmgee67 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:21 pm Understood. Thank you for the answers. I have been trying to get clear information so far it’s been like reading through mud. We al thought it would not get this far. Hopefully it keeps chugging forward over the finish line
This is part of the game that is played by our elected officials to try to side-step doing what they said that they would do. I have a friend who has been going to Austin from North Texas regularly to try to get the bills that carry out the GOP priority items through the process and on the Governor's desk. Every one of the these legislative priorities has been a problem. It will be interesting in June to see how many of them actually make it.

In truth, I think this Constitutional Carry bill has UN-Constitutional stuff in it. The concept was to get to unlicensed carry. Some of the other things - like repealing TABC rules on signs - look like good things but I'm not sure that all of the provisions are good. It is hard to tell by just reading the language in the proposal. https://hro.house.texas.gov/pdf/ba87r/hb1927.pdf
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

chasfm11 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:04 am
cmgee67 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:21 pm Understood. Thank you for the answers. I have been trying to get clear information so far it’s been like reading through mud. We al thought it would not get this far. Hopefully it keeps chugging forward over the finish line
This is part of the game that is played by our elected officials to try to side-step doing what they said that they would do. I have a friend who has been going to Austin from North Texas regularly to try to get the bills that carry out the GOP priority items through the process and on the Governor's desk. Every one of the these legislative priorities has been a problem. It will be interesting in June to see how many of them actually make it.

In truth, I think this Constitutional Carry bill has UN-Constitutional stuff in it. The concept was to get to unlicensed carry. Some of the other things - like repealing TABC rules on signs - look like good things but I'm not sure that all of the provisions are good. It is hard to tell by just reading the language in the proposal. https://hro.house.texas.gov/pdf/ba87r/hb1927.pdf
You're likely right about the bill having some unpalatable things in it. Hopefully some of those can be removed in a potential conference committee. Regardless, this is the closest we've ever come to seeing this legislation pass. I'd rather see a mediocre bill that advances the cause pass than see a perfect bill die in committee. We didn't lose these rights in a single day or a single legislative session, so it's unlikely we will see them restored in a single day/session.
NRA lifetime member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

KC5AV wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:22 pm You're likely right about the bill having some unpalatable things in it. Hopefully some of those can be removed in a potential conference committee. Regardless, this is the closest we've ever come to seeing this legislation pass. I'd rather see a mediocre bill that advances the cause pass than see a perfect bill die in committee. We didn't lose these rights in a single day or a single legislative session, so it's unlikely we will see them restored in a single day/session.
As I've told others....I don't expect a touchdown every session, but I do expect forward progress when we control both chambers and the executive branch.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

House Bill 1927 by Representative Matt Schaefer was heard in the Senate today and passed 18-13 on Third Reading

The Senate Sponsor Chairman Charles Schwertner worked hard to get this through.

The Senate version is NOT the same as the House version and that must be reconciled before it can go to the Governor's desk.

Keep in mind we have 25 days left in Session and my favorite motto about Session is "Anything can happen and usually does!"

I will keep you all apprised as to it's status!

Thank you!!!!!!
--------------

Andi Turner
Legislative Director
TSRA

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”