Glock 44 worth it now?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

Glock 44 worth it now?

Post by cmgee67 »

The Glock 44 has intrigued me since it came out. I primarily carry glocks and have always thought of it as a good trainer and introduction pistol for new shooters. I know off the bat they had some issues but from what I can tell that’s mostly fixed now. However it is a rim fire so I’d expect some malfunctions. Does anyone own one and what is your experience?

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Glock 44 worth it now?

Post by Tex1961 »

I don’t own one, but the range I teach at rents them. I have 1 to 2 students every class who uses the rentals ( who knows how often they are cleaned).. Anyway I’ve not seen one fail yet. If I ever needed another 22 pistol I would not hesitate at all on the G44.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I want to find out if you can get the G44 with the GSSF discount card.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

LDB415 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:08 am I want to find out if you can get the G44 with the GSSF discount card.
I doubt it. When I checked last, the blue label price was the same as retail.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I found one local for 399. Is that a good price or a little inflated?

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

cmgee67 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:00 pm I found one local for 399. Is that a good price or a little inflated?
From what I’ve been it’s average.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Alright. Kinda what I have gathered. I have seen it a few bucks cheaper online but I’d rather save myself the FFL transfer, shipping, and wait time. Plus local is always better to me

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I have one and it is worth every penny. I have two guns that at my favorite. The Glock 44 and the CZ Scorpion. They are just fun to shoot.

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I have one and love it. Had it about a year or so. Many students have used it and if they listen to what i tell them about sight picture, stance, trigger squeeze, and breathing, have not had a single student fail. In fact, lady last week who had only fired a handgun twice before, used it and scored an 230. I like using in for cheap training as the cheapest 9mm I have found lately was Winchester for $17.00 where Winchester .22 was about $30 for 333 rounds.

Only issue I have seen in mine or the rentals at the range where I teach is that when you load the magazine, you need to make sure that the top round is pointing up when you insert otherwise, may get a feed jam on the first round. Think I paid $349 for mine (plus tax) about a year ago, Previous poster is correct, Glock MSRP and Blue Label are the same on this gun.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I kinda want one since my primary EDC is a G19, but I hadn’t heard anything yet about improvements since the reported issues after they first came out. But even if they functioned perfectly with most ammo, there’s still the 10-round capacity limit which is exceeded by other pistols in the same class. If those issues were all solved, I’d definitely buy one.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Yes, I've wondered why they don't have ~20rd magazines.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

The G44 is an excellent gun. I don't remember any malfunctions at all in several months of use. While it is not quite as accurate as my Ruger Tactical, it is not as quirky as the Ruger. It feels and handles just like a G19, and you don't have to baby it. It racks like any other Glock. If you have a suppressor, you can buy a threaded barrel for it.

However, you can't use high end competition ammo in it, like Eley or SK, or any sub-sonic ammo. Those don't generate enough force to cycle the slide. Standard velocity ammo (like CCI) works fine, and any high velocity ammo (American Eagle, Aguila) is fine.

I have every beginner shoot 5 rounds from it before moving to a 9mm. It makes a big difference, and is a more seamless transition than target-type guns.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

I bought one when it first came out primarily for my own training with cheaper ammo. I like it so much, I decided to add a few more for teaching newbies in my classes. Then a few more.

I now own 6 of them and still do 80% of my personal training with my original G44. I always shoot about 50-rds of 9mm to maintain my familiarity of the recoil impulse of the 9mm. I also shoot lots of IDPA and IPSC matches with my G17.

The G44s (all 6 of them) have been nearly 100% reliable using Aguila Super Extra 22LR and Federal Champion. It is also 100% reliable with cheap ammo like Thunderbolt, but I soon discovered, due to its soft lead, it fouled the rifling in less than 50 rounds. I could not even group after the barrel is fouled. My gunsmith told me he had to use a torch in order to get the lead off the rifling. No such problem with Federal Champion. The only downside is when teaching newbies with G44, I have to also bring either G17 or G19 for them to dry fire. It is a inherent problem training with a rimfire gun.
6 G44s.jpg
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”