Mossberg 88

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 7

Mossberg 88

Post by cmgee67 »

Ive been looking at the 88 for a multi use cheap option that can fit multiple roles specifically the security model. I have been a Remington 870 man my whole life. Be it that Remington has not yet come back fully and fixed their quality control I am turning to mossberg. I have experience with the 590 platform and was impressed with its rigidity. My only issue is the tang mounted safety. For the last 20 something years I’ve used a cross bolt safety. The 88 for example has the cross bolt safety. I have tried to get used to the tang safety but in the dark my hands just don’t find it as fast. I could train it into memory but all of the other shotguns I use are cross bolt and I never wanted the confusion that would come with changing. I am open to other options other than the mossberg but I do like the fact it’s still USA made and in Texas. I’ve seen torture tests and it passes with flying colors. The price is sure attractive.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Mossberg 88

Post by cyphertext »

For a home defense shotgun, why not just keep it "cruiser ready", hammer down with empty chamber, action unlocked, safety off, and magazine tube loaded? It will require you to work the action to load it but it keeps it in a safe state while it sits in the corner of the bedroom. We keep all of our HD shotguns in that state... doesn't matter if I grab a Mossberg or a Remington in the middle of the night, the same actions are taken to make it ready by simply pumping a round into the chamber.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I agree with you with the “cruiser ready” state. And I guess it wouldn’t much matter which one I had.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TFB TV has a new, very positive review of the Maverick 88. I’d embed the video, but there’s some language in it. But here’s a link to it: https://youtu.be/-9OL7IquoIo.

I have 2 Mossbergs with the tang safety, and I like them because I’m a lefty and they’re ambidextrous. Crossbolt safeties are counterintuitive for me, and so on the couple of weapons I own that have one, I ignore it and just use the one between my ears.

Anyway, in that video, the 88 stood up to a 502 consecutive rounds torture test of combined standard and magnum buckshot loads, without a single malfunction. If I were looking for a cheap pump gun, I wouldn’t hesitate.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cyphertext »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:16 pm TFB TV has a new, very positive review of the Maverick 88. I’d embed the video, but there’s some language in it. But here’s a link to it: https://youtu.be/-9OL7IquoIo.

I have 2 Mossbergs with the tang safety, and I like them because I’m a lefty and they’re ambidextrous. Crossbolt safeties are counterintuitive for me, and so on the couple of weapons I own that have one, I ignore it and just use the one between my ears.

Anyway, in that video, the 88 stood up to a 502 consecutive rounds torture test of combined standard and magnum buckshot loads, without a single malfunction. If I were looking for a cheap pump gun, I wouldn’t hesitate.
I just came back to mention that video. I like my old Remington myself, but wouldn't feel bad with a Maverick 88.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

I have a Mossberg 930 Home Security and I love it. It will definitely clear a hallway with 7 rounds semi-auto. It will also leave a bruise on the one pulling the tirgger. :lol:

The Annoyed Man

carlson1 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:11 pm I have a Mossberg 930 Home Security and I love it. It will definitely clear a hallway with 7 rounds semi-auto. It will also leave a bruise on the one pulling the tirgger. :lol:
Betcha it doesn’t bruise as hard as the pump does. My 590A1 isn't too bad as far as pumps go, but it has a 20” barrel and an 8-round mag tube, so it weighs a fair amount. I have a 18” 930 SPX with 7-round tube, but I haven’t had a chance to get it to the range yet.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

cmgee67 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:08 pm I agree with you with the “cruiser ready” state. And I guess it wouldn’t much matter which one I had.
I've got the Maverick 88 with the 18.5" barrel and it is kept in the above state along with a 20 hole or so bandolier sling, tac light, etc...it's a bad machine. Bad as in it works every time that trigger is pulled. I've had it for over 20 years. Have no regrets on it. :tiphat:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I had a Mossberg Maverick 88 12ga, but traded it for vintage Remington 20ga 1100 (not an LT). I had several other shotguns and only bought the Mossy because I found it at a Walmart for just over $100. I questioned that price and had the clerk check their order books and it showed the same price as the tag. Snapped it up. I shot it a few times with zero problems. Pretty much like the Mossbergs I sold back in the 60's and 70's when I worked in retail. I currently have their Shock Wave in 12 and 20 ga. I bought the 20 ga before they came out with the .410 model. I'd like to get a .410, but I have other things on my bucket list. The Mossberg pump design is a virtual tank and has been since it's release more than half a century ago.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

At present I am kinda in need of a scatter pistol. Over the last few years I have done some handEm downs to grandones and need to replace one. They are in pretty good shape so it is time for me to plug a couple O holes in the safe. Been on the lookout for dither 870 or Mossy.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:16 pm TFB TV has a new, very positive review of the Maverick 88. I’d embed the video, but there’s some language in it. But here’s a link to it: https://youtu.be/-9OL7IquoIo.

Good find! Thanks for the share!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Well I pickup and 88 security today. I had a couple issues that I am not sure if it’s ammo or the gun. I test fired 4 different flavors of shells. I shot remington 00 buck, federal 00 buck, federal hydra shock slugs, and Winchester 00 buck.
I had 4 failure to fires. All but one fired on the 2nd trigger pull and it took a third. I’ve never experienced this with the same ammo in my 870. My thought is a weak firing pin spring? I like the gun a whole lot but what to make sure it will go bang every time. Any ideas on what I can try? Before firing I took the gun down and cleaned it very well.

The Annoyed Man

Did the dud shells look like they had light primer strikes on them?

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Yes they did

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Start out by calling Mossberg.

They may be aware of the issue and will simply send you a stronger spring.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”