Who's buying the guns?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Who's buying the guns?

Post by LDB415 »

Texas is 10th lowest in per capita sales?

Illinois is 2nd highest in per capita sales????

Interesting where everyone falls, and many not where you'd think.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/gu ... d=msedgntp
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

mr surveyor

Re: Who's buying the guns?

Post by mr surveyor »

face to face "personal" sales are probably more of a volume in Texas sales than new firearms currently. Remember, we can do the face to face thing ... that don't get counted in the "stats", where a lot of those states with what appears to be a bigger per capita gun sales are required to go through an ffl (and become a statistic) to do even a personal sale.

Don't trust stats at face value ... they end up representing whatever the preparer intends to represent

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Not since the pandemic started and prices went crazy. There’s a few decent deals out there but not many. I do want to upgrade my carry from the shield to the shield plus though. And at around $450.00 it’s not a bad deal especially if I sell my current one for around $400.00. I’ve been wanting a CZ shadow 2 but it’s a little steep on cost, but looking at a SAR K12 Sport instead.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

since mar of 21 when we all got the stay at home orders
i have purchased 3 items all from dealers.
3 may not sound like much, but i am running out of room.

i need a bigger safe , so i can get more items :biggrinjester:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

powerboatr wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:57 pm since mar of 21 when we all got the stay at home orders
i have purchased 3 items all from dealers.
3 may not sound like much, but i am running out of room.

i need a bigger safe , so i can get more items :biggrinjester:
My wife collects craft stuff and I collect gun stuff. She got a new craft room and I got a new gun safe. I think I got the better end of the bargain but hers was more expensive :mrgreen: I am trying to do my part on the guns.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

LDB415 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:34 pm Texas is 10th lowest in per capita sales?
I'd guess the density of firearms ownership is much higher here so that if the whole country bought equally, Tx would appear lower.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

mr surveyor said: Don't trust stats at face value ... they end up representing whatever the preparer intends to represent
37.235% of all stats are made up on the spot
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

IF the stats are true, another explanation besides the fact that we do FTF legally here (if you don’t think FTF out of car trunks in back alleys isn’t happening in Chicago, you’re wrong), might be that a LOT of Texans already own a LOT of guns, and so FOMO is less of a factor here than it might be up in Chicago—where per capita gun ownership is almost certainly a lot lower. If you don’t have guns yet, and the situation is such that you’re beginning to rethink that, the urge to buy one now while one still can is probably a lot stronger than it is in places where almost everybody that was ever going to buy a gun has already done so.

My entire new firearm purchases since January of 2020 has been one stripped AR lower, and one AR pistol lower. I bought the former to spit in Bei Den Jo's eye, and the latter to have a braced pistol lower before they get outlawed, and secondarily so that I can lawfully carry an SBR upper across state lines if I want to. But neither of those purchases was made because of fear that I might need a gun and don’t have one. There are still a number of firearms on my "want" list, but there aren’t any on my "need" list.

I suspect that a lot more of us in Texas play the "if I had to get rid of all my guns but one" game here in Texas, rather than the "if I could just get a gun" game like in a lot of other places.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

tomneal wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:19 am
mr surveyor said: Don't trust stats at face value ... they end up representing whatever the preparer intends to represent
37.235% of all stats are made up on the spot
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

LDB415 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:34 pm Texas is 10th lowest in per capita sales?

They're just playing catchup - finally.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC1911 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:01 pm

You said it far more efficiently than I did. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:27 am My entire new firearm purchases since January of 2020 has been one stripped AR lower, and one AR pistol lower. I bought the former to spit in Bei Den Jo's eye, and the latter to have a braced pistol lower before they get outlawed, and secondarily so that I can lawfully carry an SBR upper across state lines if I want to. But neither of those purchases was made because of fear that I might need a gun and don’t have one. There are still a number of firearms on my "want" list, but there aren’t any on my "need" list.

I suspect that a lot more of us in Texas play the "if I had to get rid of all my guns but one" game here in Texas, rather than the "if I could just get a gun" game like in a lot of other places.
I'm not alone! I saw this thread yesterday and almost posted that I knew at least one instance of no new firearms sales in Texas: me. My "want" list keeps growing larger, but practical cubic inches in safes simply aren't...and the COVID economy hasn't done me any favors, either. What I should do is just delete that "want" list--some stuff on there is old enough now that newer models and options may supersede things on my list anyway--and just start over for 2022. That is, with the hope that 2022 doesn't see inflation popping up over 5% or 6% and that a lack of supplies/stock/availability doesn't pump up consumer prices even further. :grumble
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

flechero

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:20 pm
AndyC1911 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:01 pm

You said it far more efficiently than I did. :mrgreen:
Not everything needs to be said in 5 words or less! Sometimes a point needs a story! :lol:

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Hey, I'm impressed when I can do ANYthing efficiently these days :mrgreen:

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

They only get that information if a NICS check is performed. I always buy with my LTC, so no NICS check...
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”