Biometric Lock

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Biometric Lock

Post by rtschl »

Just putting this out here for anyone who has same need I do for temporarily securing firearm in area accessible to kids (or anyone else).

Not a fan of biometrics for trigger guards, but I started taking martial arts and obviously I cannot carry in class. Due to the location and foot traffic in that area, I no longer am putting my firearm in my safe I keep in the trunk. And I don't want it in my safe while driving there and back as I want it accessible. I now keep it in my gym bag in the locker room (no lockers), but because there are kids there too, it has to be secured. I don't think anyone would go through my bag, but it is out of my sight when in class. Thought about buying another slim vault, but it's too bulky and heavy.

So I needed the following:
* Light weight and secure
* Quick access when going to and from class
* No requirement to unload the weapon
* Keep it inaccessible to kids

Looked around and ended up using Identilock. I do like it, though it has obvious weaknesses that would not keep a determined thief from getting access. I would not want to rely on the biometric in a life threatening quick access situation. Anti gun people proposing biometrics for carrying are nuts. Biometrics still fail. I can't open it if sweat or any liquid is on the sensor. I would have to use the key. Getting the cap off to use the key is not easy/quick.

It's a little pricey, but for a temporary/short term safe trigger guard lock that keeps my firearm loaded and only accessible to me, this is working well. https://getidentilock.com/

It can hold three fingerprints and the battery is rechargeable with USB cable. It does open quickly. I could see this being good for the night stand if you do not have a gunvault or other quick access storage at night.

Ron
NRA Member

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Biometric Lock

Post by flowrie »

Maybe I don’t completely understand your situation.
Based on your post….
You store it in a locker room, unattended, with no lockable locker, with kids running around.
Even with your bio lock on your weapon, how is it going to look of a kid does obtain it and displays it or just takes it?
Or if an adult finds it and takes it, thinking they can unlock it.
Hope I’m misunderstanding your post.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rtschl »

flowrie wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:56 pm Maybe I don’t completely understand your situation.
Based on your post….
You store it in a locker room, unattended, with no lockable locker, with kids running around.
Even with your bio lock on your weapon, how is it going to look of a kid does obtain it and displays it or just takes it?
Or if an adult finds it and takes it, thinking they can unlock it.
Hope I’m misunderstanding your post.
You make an excellent point. What I didn't post is that I also have it in a locked small go bag inside my gym bag which is zipped up but not locked. I guess I could also put a TSA combo lock on my gym bag zipper. I can lock and unlock the go bag without having to pull it out for anyone to see until I get to my car. But I didn't want my firearm "loose" in my go bag without the trigger guard having a lock on it. To find it, someone would have to get into my zipped gym bag and then into the locked go bag.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility of being stolen or discovered but I think I am taking reasonable precaution and responsibility with it. The transition between classes is quick and I have a full view of the door to that room (which is maybe 10'x8'). No one is allowed to "hang out" in the changing rooms and the kids class is just before mine so their parents are wanting to leave quickly. Though the risk is not zero of it being stolen or discovered, it is as close to it as possible.

I am open to a better solution. But as I originally posted, it is the foot traffic in the parking lot that keeps me from using my safe in the trunk of my car anymore. I think my car would be broken into to try and get to it if someone with bad intentions sees me disarm and putting it away.
Ron
NRA Member

Odiferous
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Odiferous »

If you think you're making your vehicle a target by openly standing at the trunk and disarming, I suggest getting a lockbox for under your seat and disarming discreetly while inside the car.

I would not consider leaving a loaded handgun unattended in a public place known to be frequented by children.

Attaching a piece of plastic to the trigger guard does not change the equation for me:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”