Anybody have experience with the Stevens 320 Shotgun?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Anybody have experience with the Stevens 320 Shotgun?

Post by puma guy »

I am in need of a beater truck shotgun. My old JC Higgins Model 20 was stolen from my truck, Even though it was out of sight they found it when they broke in through the rear sliding window. I think they were enticed by my 12V/1000 jumper pack. I really liked that old gun. The barrel was cut to 20" and it held 6 in the tube with a shell cut off so you could load a single shell through the ejection port. I have a Win 1300 Defender, but I wouldn't want to lose it to some scum bag. I am looking at the Stevens 320. Reviews of the current models seem to be good and I've found one for $169 new. Any reviews from you guys would be appreciated. Happy Turkey Day!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

jmorris

Re: Anybody have experience with the Stevens 320 Shotgun?

Post by jmorris »

Not the 320 but I have the Stevens 350 Security, about 5 years old. I like it, never had any problems. Assume the basics are the same.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Iunnrais
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Iunnrais »

no experience with the new ones, but I've a 520a that dates back to just before WWII that's been the only shotgun I've needed since the 80s when dad let me first use it.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

jmorris wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:53 pm Not the 320 but I have the Stevens 350 Security, about 5 years old. I like it, never had any problems. Assume the basics are the same.
I used to have a 350—the version with the ghost ring rear/high viz front sights. It was a pretty good shotgun for what I paid for it at the time (about $240 at the time IIRC), but it’s not the same action as the 320. The 320 is an Model 870 clone. The 350 is a Model 37 clone which ejects out the bottom. I bought the 350 because it seemed more ambidextrous to me at the time. I sold it after I bought a Mossberg 590A1. I seem to remember that AndyC bought one of those 320s about the same time as I bought my 350, and as I recall, he like his just fine.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:12 pm
jmorris wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:53 pm Not the 320 but I have the Stevens 350 Security, about 5 years old. I like it, never had any problems. Assume the basics are the same.
I used to have a 350—the version with the ghost ring rear/high viz front sights. It was a pretty good shotgun for what I paid for it at the time (about $240 at the time IIRC), but it’s not the same action as the 320. The 320 is an Model 870 clone. The 350 is a Model 37 clone which ejects out the bottom. I bought the 350 because it seemed more ambidextrous to me at the time. I sold it after I bought a Mossberg 590A1. I seem to remember that AndyC bought one of those 320s about the same time as I bought my 350, and as I recall, he like his just fine.
I thought I remembered Andy C had a Stevens SG that he'd tricked out, but I thought it was the Ithaca clone, Model 350, which I believe is discontinued. At any rate I viewed a few more reviews of the 320, including one by Hickok45 and decided to get one. Some of the early guns had some issues, but the problem was resolved from what I learned. I was waiting for a vendor to respond to my request to add a local FFL I always use for transfers and while I was waiting for their reply their Black Friday special for $169 ended. They said they couldn't add my FFL because it wasn't within 25 miles of one of theirs stores. Didn't make sense to me because they listed 5 FFLs they have in the data base that are hundreds of miles from their stores and no more than 10 miles from me. The problem was they all charge way too much ($40-45) for an LTC buyer transfer. No matter I actually found a better deal for 5 bucks less and it had the Ghost ring sights and my FFL was listed in their data base for shipping. My FFL only charges $15 for xfers with an LTC. I also got free shipping, so it's all good. I will post a review and pictures when I get it. I have some Federal 12 pellet 00 buckshot 2-3/4" loads coming to try out, along with some Federal #1 buck 15 pellet loads.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:12 pm
Thanks for the info. The more you know....
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

The mossberg 88 security can be had for 199 at academy most days.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

Grab a gun has the Stevens 320 in 20 ga for 169 and the 12 ga for 159.

https://grabagun.com/catalog/product/vi ... ategory/2/

https://grabagun.com/catalog/product/vi ... ategory/2/
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

Mine is a Hawk 982, made by Norinco - it'll take just about any 870 part (except for the barrel), which factored into my decision to buy it.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I picked up a cheap 320 also for use as a truck gun. After about a year under the back seat unprotected it did develop a little surface rust, but still functions as designed.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC1911 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:19 pm Mine is a Hawk 982, made by Norinco - it'll take just about any 870 part (except for the barrel), which factored into my decision to buy it.

Well, I got half of it right! 😁
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”