Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Red dot optic carry

Post by cmgee67 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:07 pm
cmgee67 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:32 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:11 pm Primary carry is a CZ 75 Compact PCR with a Holosun 507K. Also have three 1911's (.45ACP x 2, 1 Super) with Leupold DeltaPoint Pro (triangle). I really like the 507K using the segmented circle only.

Chas.
That holosun is what I’ve been eyeing. Would you recommend the delta point over the holosun
No, but I have to qualify that answer. I like using the 507K so much that, as noted above, it's on my EDC. The reason for that is covered in my post of Dec. 9, 2020 copied below.
The DeltaPoint Pro is a proven site that has at least as good a reliability track record as any Trigicon and arguably better. (This is based upon the Sage Dynamic testing of numerous RDS over several years.) The Holosun sights, especially the 407/507K are relatively new. I would never have considered the 507K had it not been for Sage Dynamic testing if the 507K. My wife has a 507K on her EDC, a CZ P-01; that's how much I trust it.

Of note is the fact that Leupold stopped manufacturing the DPP with the 7 MOA triangle reticle. That was the only reason I chose it and I think dropping it from the product offering was a big mistake in my view.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:42 pm Update on my Holosun 507K milled into my CZ 75D PCR:

I finally got to the range a few days ago to test my 507K with the circle/dot reticle. I had previously sighted it in using only the 2 MOA dot. The circle is 32 MOA which is 16" at 50 yds, 8" at 25 yds and 4" at 12.5 yds. My theory was that I should be able to put the circle on the upper chest of an IDPA target at any distance out to at least 25 yds and all rounds would land inside the 8" 0-down ring on the target. My theory was correct, but that's only part of the story. The sight is fast, amazingly fast! Our monthly IDPA match Saturday, Nov. 28th was rained out, so I didn't get a chance to test the reticle further under match conditions. I suspect my times and points-down will be significantly lower.

I must confess that I thought the circle or circle/dot reticles would be pretty much useless on a handgun. I'm happy to be wrong. For people unfamiliar with IDPA targets, the 0-down ring on the target is in the upper chest in an area that contains the vitals that would most likely end a deadly threat. (Click on the target to see a larger version.) Being able to rapidly put rounds in the 0-down ring at virtually any reasonable pistol distance is not only a major benefit in a match, it might mean the difference between going home or going to the morgue if you face a deadly assault.

I plan to test this theory at 50 yds where the circle will be 16". That's still 2" less than the industry standard of 18" shoulder-to-shoulder for an average man. The vertical mark at 12 o'clock should make lateral alignment easier as you can simply align it under the head. It obviously won't work at 100 yds. but a pistol fight at that distance is highly unlikely.

Chas.

With the new slide out battery tray on the holosun, do you have to re-zero your optic when you change the battery? I wouldn’t think so since you don’t have to physically take it off

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

cmgee67 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:05 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:07 pm
cmgee67 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:32 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:11 pm Primary carry is a CZ 75 Compact PCR with a Holosun 507K. Also have three 1911's (.45ACP x 2, 1 Super) with Leupold DeltaPoint Pro (triangle). I really like the 507K using the segmented circle only.

Chas.
That holosun is what I’ve been eyeing. Would you recommend the delta point over the holosun
No, but I have to qualify that answer. I like using the 507K so much that, as noted above, it's on my EDC. The reason for that is covered in my post of Dec. 9, 2020 copied below.
The DeltaPoint Pro is a proven site that has at least as good a reliability track record as any Trigicon and arguably better. (This is based upon the Sage Dynamic testing of numerous RDS over several years.) The Holosun sights, especially the 407/507K are relatively new. I would never have considered the 507K had it not been for Sage Dynamic testing if the 507K. My wife has a 507K on her EDC, a CZ P-01; that's how much I trust it.

Of note is the fact that Leupold stopped manufacturing the DPP with the 7 MOA triangle reticle. That was the only reason I chose it and I think dropping it from the product offering was a big mistake in my view.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:42 pm Update on my Holosun 507K milled into my CZ 75D PCR:

I finally got to the range a few days ago to test my 507K with the circle/dot reticle. I had previously sighted it in using only the 2 MOA dot. The circle is 32 MOA which is 16" at 50 yds, 8" at 25 yds and 4" at 12.5 yds. My theory was that I should be able to put the circle on the upper chest of an IDPA target at any distance out to at least 25 yds and all rounds would land inside the 8" 0-down ring on the target. My theory was correct, but that's only part of the story. The sight is fast, amazingly fast! Our monthly IDPA match Saturday, Nov. 28th was rained out, so I didn't get a chance to test the reticle further under match conditions. I suspect my times and points-down will be significantly lower.

I must confess that I thought the circle or circle/dot reticles would be pretty much useless on a handgun. I'm happy to be wrong. For people unfamiliar with IDPA targets, the 0-down ring on the target is in the upper chest in an area that contains the vitals that would most likely end a deadly threat. (Click on the target to see a larger version.) Being able to rapidly put rounds in the 0-down ring at virtually any reasonable pistol distance is not only a major benefit in a match, it might mean the difference between going home or going to the morgue if you face a deadly assault.

I plan to test this theory at 50 yds where the circle will be 16". That's still 2" less than the industry standard of 18" shoulder-to-shoulder for an average man. The vertical mark at 12 o'clock should make lateral alignment easier as you can simply align it under the head. It obviously won't work at 100 yds. but a pistol fight at that distance is highly unlikely.

Chas.

With the new slide out battery tray on the holosun, do you have to re-zero your optic when you change the battery? I wouldn’t think so since you don’t have to physically take it off
No you don't. In fairness, you don't with the Leupold DDP either. The battery compartment is accessed from the top.

Chas.

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

G43X mos with HS507K. also with the addition of shield S15 mag and tlr7sub, it went from garbage to exceptional!
Attachments
E9AF0E01-9142-4B9E-89AD-128774900E1F.jpeg
'got to Texas ASAIC.

bobby
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bobby »

aaangel wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:40 am G43X mos with HS507K. also with the addition of shield S15 mag and tlr7sub, it went from garbage to exceptional!
Now if Timney triggers make their trigger for the small frame Glocks.
:txflag:

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

bobby wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:48 am
aaangel wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:40 am G43X mos with HS507K. also with the addition of shield S15 mag and tlr7sub, it went from garbage to exceptional!
Now if Timney triggers make their trigger for the small frame Glocks.
yessir! im also waiting for it. for $150, its a steal for an awesome trigger!
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Are there any compact 1911’s that take red dots

bobby
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bobby »

:txflag:

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

G19, Holosun 407K-X2, TLR-7, JMCK Wing Claw 2.0 AIWB

:patriot:

ETA: My Holosun had a problem with the shake-to-wake feature on Day 1. Took a pretty heavy shake to wake it. I reached out to Holosun TS, sent them a short video, they sent me a mailing label and I had a replacement in less than 2 weeks. Has worked perfectly since.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rafe »

RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:13 am ETA: My Holosun had a problem with the shake-to-wake feature on Day 1. Took a pretty heavy shake to wake it. I reached out to Holosun TS, sent them a short video, they sent me a mailing label and I had a replacement in less than 2 weeks. Has worked perfectly since.
Thanks, Roy. After all the talk about them on the forum, I put a Holosun 507K on my Christmas list. The shake-awake feature is vital to me, and I'd been wondering how often there's a problem with it. 'Course, if I get a little Holosun package under the tree, I didn't mention that I'd then need to spend more money in January on a gunsmith or a new slide in order to use it... ;-)
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Rafe wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:14 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:13 am ETA: My Holosun had a problem with the shake-to-wake feature on Day 1. Took a pretty heavy shake to wake it. I reached out to Holosun TS, sent them a short video, they sent me a mailing label and I had a replacement in less than 2 weeks. Has worked perfectly since.
Thanks, Roy. After all the talk about them on the forum, I put a Holosun 507K on my Christmas list. The shake-awake feature is vital to me, and I'd been wondering how often there's a problem with it. 'Course, if I get a little Holosun package under the tree, I didn't mention that I'd then need to spend more money in January on a gunsmith or a new slide in order to use it... ;-)
Happy to help :thumbs2:

I waffled between the 407 and 507 for the several months between when the 507X2's became available and when the 407's were finally in stock. I'm quite happy with the 407's big (6 moa) dot but look forward to eventually trying the Circle-dot 507.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

abom2

Post by abom2 »

I went to look at the Holosun 507 at their site. I may wait until it goes on sale. MSRP seems a bit hig

The site an MSRP of $9,999.00- I hope that is an oversight or glitch.

https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/183.html

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Took the plunge and ordered the 407K green dot

JRG

Post by JRG »

I've got the 48MOS with the shield S15 mags and the tlr7sub also. I just need to get the 507K now. I've got the plate for it already.

Joe

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

JRG wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:51 am
I've got the 48MOS with the shield S15 mags and the tlr7sub also. I just need to get the 507K now. I've got the plate for it already.

Joe
I went with CHPWS plate adapter.
https://chpws.com/installation
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I ordered the same plate

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”