S&W CSX

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

S&W CSX

Post by cmgee67 »

The new Smith Pistol is a micro sub compact aluminum framed single action only pistol in 9mm. I think it’s ugly. Looks like the body guard and the shield got together. It does have some great features however, in typical S&W fashion, they didn’t release it with an optics cut, rail, or night sights. All I’m sure there will be some “pro” or “core” model eventually but in order to be competitive in an overly saturated market, you have to have all of these features and more.

FastCarry

Re: S&W CSX

Post by FastCarry »

They are late to the high cap micro game, and i agree, need a rail and optics cut, its likely also heavier than the p365 and hellcat.

599? No thanks.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

For people who like 1911’s this would be a great option for a smaller carry gun as the manual of arms is the same. I think the added weight mainly comes from the frame. I do like metal framed guns but my Glock 48 MOS weighs close the to that with an optic and rail and 11 rounds on board.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Reminds me of my Sig P938
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

FastCarry wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:13 pm its likely also heavier than the p365
Lighter by a few whiskers:

CSX- Weight = 17.4 oz

P365 Weight: 17.8oz

bobby

Post by bobby »

not too bad my Shield plus loaded with 14 rds of 9mm JHP 124 gr and a optic is 27 oz.

and 18.5 oz unloaded and no mag
and 21.5 oz with a unloaded mag

:txflag:

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

bobby wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:04 am not too bad my Shield plus loaded with 14 rds of 9mm JHP 124 gr and a optic is 27 oz.

and 18.5 oz unloaded and no mag
and 21.5 oz with a unloaded mag

You inspired me to start carrying with an optic. I went with Glock 48 mos and run a holosun 407k Green dot. I am considering upgrading to the shield arms 15+1 mag and metal mag catch

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

flechero wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:15 pm

CSX- Weight = 17.4 oz

Interesting, i didnt look it up but good to know

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

It looks interesting to me. I am a 1911 fan and I like pistols with hammers.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

flechero wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:15 pm

CSX- Weight = 17.4 oz

Springfield Armory Hellcat weight 17.9oz Capacity: 11 rounds---OSP version allows adding a red dot sight

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

carlson1 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:36 pm It looks interesting to me. I am a 1911 fan and I like pistols with hammers.
Same here. Hammer-type CC weapons are as rare as hen's teeth. There's really not much out there besides the SIG P238/938. But I love the hammer type. If you don't carry cocked-and-locked, it just takes a little practice to learn to thumb the hammer back as you draw.

There has been some criticism of the CSX's 7-8 pound trigger; that might be an issue. Of course, in the stress of a self defense situation, you don' t want a hair trigger, but 8 pounds might be pushing the envelope. I wonder how easy it is for a smith to lighten it a little.

Also, I can't find any information on using +P ammo. I practice with WWB, but use +P Gold Dot for carry. Many guns aren't rated for +P, but can handle it OK when used rarely.

Lastly, is there room on this gun for your pinky? I can't STAND shooting with my pinky waving around in the air.

So far, so good, just waiting for more information.
-Ruark

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I don't understand the push for micro-compact self-defense handguns, I really don't. It's the very rare male that cannot carry and conceal at least a Glock 19 size handgun. (I'm 5'9", 175 lbs and I carried a Government model 1911 45 concealed for decades.) My EDC now is a CZ 75 Compact PCR which is essentially Glock 19 size.

Anyone wanting to get a micro-compact for a woman should make sure she is okay with it before buying. I've had numerous women try my 9mm Shield, a Hellcat, S&W Model 37 Airweight, Glock 26/27. Those guns are almost universally hated by every woman that tried them for EDC use. A few said they could carry them, but certainly wouldn't practice much if any. "Easy to carry, but miserable to shoot" was a common opinion. The same women who shot my CZ, Commander in 45/9mm/38Super loved those guns.

I find it ironic that many people argue that faster followup shots with a 9mm over a .45ACP is one reason to carry a 9mm. The same people like and carry micro-compact 9mm pistols with much more felt recoil and muzzle flip giving a Commander size .45ACP the win in terms of followup shots.

I also don't want to suffer extreme loss of ballistics that come with ultra short barrels.

Just my opinion folks.
Chas.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:05 pm I don't understand the push for micro-compact self-defense handguns, I really don't. It's the very rare male that cannot carry and conceal at least a Glock 19 size handgun.
Define concealed. Where my livelihood is concerned, concealed means no one can find out, ever. Where the law is concerned, I just need to have a piece of fabric over it with little worry if someone figures it out.

We all have very different circumstances. Some of us can carry legally, but risk our job or client contracts if some of the snowflakes found out. If I wore a suit or sport coat I could carry a 1911 every day. But I don't and so I can't. My "uniform" doesn't allow me to adequately conceal a full sized gun. I don't mind a heavy gun, I just can't carry a large gun many days.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I’m always glad to see new innovations in firearms. Whether or not this particular model will work for you, at least it does give another option for those that see a use for it. Since we’re all offering our opinions I’ll say that mine is a solid NOPE. For concealed carry I love my S&W Shield. For my body type, activity level, And dress it works for me. I can see where 1911 guys (and gals) would see some value here and good for you.

Chas did bring up a pretty good point though in regards to felt recoil and follow up shots comparing a full sized 45acp vs a micro 9mm.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

flechero wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:09 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:05 pm I don't understand the push for micro-compact self-defense handguns, I really don't. It's the very rare male that cannot carry and conceal at least a Glock 19 size handgun.
Define concealed. Where my livelihood is concerned, concealed means no one can find out, ever. Where the law is concerned, I just need to have a piece of fabric over it with little worry if someone figures it out.

We all have very different circumstances. Some of us can carry legally, but risk our job or client contracts if some of the snowflakes found out. If I wore a suit or sport coat I could carry a 1911 every day. But I don't and so I can't. My "uniform" doesn't allow me to adequately conceal a full sized gun. I don't mind a heavy gun, I just can't carry a large gun many days.
Pretty much the same here. I love my Walther P99AS 9mm, but there are many days when I wish I'd kept that SIG P238. If I was just running down the road to grab some milk, it was a blessing being able to just stick it in my pocket holster and walk out the door. The P99 doesn't work very well with shorts and/or a tucked-in shirt (I never wear untucked, unless it's a tropical shirt), and even it's not a full size gun. Of course the tradeoff is capacity and power, and the fact that you need a LOT more practice with a micro.
-Ruark

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”