A Short History of American Target Development and Evolution

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Paladin »

This is an interesting article from 2015. There is discussion on both rifle and pistol targets:

Some of these details are really eye opening. I always thought it was very very strange how much emphasis bullseye pistol matches had on one hand shooting. In the days of horse mounted cavalry there was a strong need for shooting with one hand on your horse, leaving you with only one hand for the pistol. While the days of horse mounted cavalry disappeared over 100 years ago, certain pistol matches still shoot with only one hand.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A Short History of American Target Development and Evolution

Post by AF-Odin »

Paladin,

Interesting and enjoyable article.

One minor quibble, US Horse Cavalry survived until circa 1943 and the "Mounted Course of Fire" was still used. Admittedly, that is almost 80 years ago, but not quite 100. My Dad was with the 112th Cavalry of the Texas National Guard. They were Federalized in 1940 as a Horse Cavalry regiment, participated as horse mounted in the Louisiana maneuvers and patrolling the Texas/Mexico border horse mounted until July 1942 when they were ordered to deploy to the SW Pacific after turning in their horses. Upon arrival in Australia, they were re-mounted for some time on Australian horses for patrol duty, finally turning in their horses in May 1943. The 112th then served as a dismounted Regimental Combat Team in New Guinea and was attached to the 1st Cavalry Division (also dismounted) for the invasion of the Philippines. According to my Dad, the first time he fired the Mounted Course was with a S&W Model 1917 revolver and he said he barely qualified due to the requirement for mounted reloads even though they were using half-moon clips. Later, with the 1911 he was able to fire expert. I still have his "expert" Marksmanship badge with bars for Pistol-D (dismounted), Pistol-M (mounted), and Carbine.
:txflag:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:45 pm Paladin,

One minor quibble, US Horse Cavalry survived until circa 1943 and the "Mounted Course of Fire" was still used. Admittedly, that is almost 80 years ago, but not quite 100. My Dad was with the 112th Cavalry of the Texas National Guard. They were Federalized in 1940 as a Horse Cavalry regiment, participated as horse mounted in the Louisiana maneuvers and patrolling the Texas/Mexico border horse mounted until July 1942 when they were ordered to deploy to the SW Pacific after turning in their horses. Upon arrival in Australia, they were re-mounted for some time on Australian horses for patrol duty, finally turning in their horses in May 1943. The 112th then served as a dismounted Regimental Combat Team in New Guinea and was attached to the 1st Cavalry Division (also dismounted) for the invasion of the Philippines. According to my Dad, the first time he fired the Mounted Course was with a S&W Model 1917 revolver and he said he barely qualified due to the requirement for mounted reloads even though they were using half-moon clips. Later, with the 1911 he was able to fire expert. I still have his "expert" Marksmanship badge with bars for Pistol-D (dismounted), Pistol-M (mounted), and Carbine.
Very cool! Thanks for that! :tiphat:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

The article stops short of describing F-Class rifle targets. They have a 1/2 MOA bullseye:

F-Class Competition
Canadian shooter George Farquharson (the “F” in F-Class) promoted this new discipline in the 1990s. Farquharson’s idea to use scopes and rests was intended to attract long-range shooting enthusiasts who are more familiar with scopes, rests and sandbags than the iron sights, slings and shooting jackets of traditional high power competition. NRA formally recognized the new sport in its 2005 NRA High Power Rifle rules. Former NRA High Power Rifle Manager Janet Raab said, "F-Class is the fastest-growing type of high power competition because it offers the challenge of long-range shooting in a format that is fun and easy to learn."
In 2021, the use of optics and some sort of rest is much more realistic than shooting irons and using only your elbows for prone support.

ETA..2022 as well! :biggrinjester:

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:45 pm Paladin,

yes very cool thanks for sharing
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Horses and calvary aren't the only reason one-handed pistol shooting was encouraged. I was taught to shoot one-handed. I qualified om my original CHL qualification one-handed with my body perpendicular to the target. The concept was to keep ourselves minimal sized. This assumes that our belly didn't stick out so much.

I have since adapted to a more modern shooting stance, although I find I actually shoot a little better using the antiquated stance. and will shoot a mag that way before I pack up and leave the range.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”