IDPA-Branded Airsoft 1911

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 6

IDPA-Branded Airsoft 1911

Post by Rafe »

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the IDPA 1911 format Airsoft pistol: https://www.idpa.com/shop/accessories/i ... ining-kit/. They tout it as having improved accuracy, a smoother trigger, and being a fit in existing standard-size 1911 holsters. It ain't free, but comes with three magazines and is a blowback slide operation. Made in Taiwan. I think I'm interested, but want to see if any of you has used it--or have a better recommendation for a 1911 Airsoft--before spending any money.

“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Re: IDPA-Branded Airsoft 1911

Post by Paladin »

I haven't tried it, but airsoft for training is a huge benefit. More trigger pulls for less money.

Its nice that IDPA is getting involved in this.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:44 am I haven't tried it, but airsoft for training is a huge benefit. More trigger pulls for less money.

Its nice that IDPA is getting involved in this.
I have an old spring-operated Airsoft 92FS-looking pistol that I've gotten decent service from, but since COVID I've had very, very little draw-move-shoot range time. Going gas operation with slide actuation and extra mags makes sense to me. I'm thinking of taking a few of my cardboard IDPA targets, putting them on 1x2 stands, and cutting out the down-zero circles and putting netting behind the holes. An extra incentive to be accurate because I'd only have to pick up the pellets that hit down-1 or worse. ;-) Figure that would be a mobile setup I could stage in the garage for short-distance transition stuff, and in the backyard for some longer distance drills. I've got the targets, stuff to make the stands, and material I can use for the netting. Just need to decide if I invest in a semi-auto Airsoft gun and which one. One that would fit properly in one of my Kydex holsters would be good, and I have a Comp-Tac holster and mag holder for a 1911.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I lean towards the semi-auto pistols.

My students seem to favor the CO2 versions as they are simpler to operate, but I do like the green gas blowback for maximum realism.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

carlson1
Posts in topic: 9

Post by carlson1 »

Rafe wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:10 pm Wondering if anyone has any experience with the IDPA 1911 format Airsoft pistol: https://www.idpa.com/shop/accessories/i ... ining-kit/. They tout it as having improved accuracy, a smoother trigger, and being a fit in existing standard-size 1911 holsters. It ain't free, but comes with three magazines and is a blowback slide operation. Made in Taiwan. I think I'm interested, but want to see if any of you has used it--or have a better recommendation for a 1911 Airsoft--before spending any money.

How did this workout for you? Paladin is right about training being cheaper and it helps you see your weakness’ for sure.

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:30 am How did this workout for you? Paladin is right about training being cheaper and it helps you see your weakness’ for sure.
It's great so far. It arrived about two weeks ago, and then I had to go looking for green gas and I still need to build my cut-out IDPA targets. So I haven't put as many Airsoft BBs through it as I thought I would have by now, but the pistol is pretty solid. Without a mag inserted, on my scale it comes in at at just under 30 ounces, so it's lighter than my forged 1911s, about 8 to 10 ounces lighter. I'd like it to be a little closer in weight, but it isn't bad. I hate to admit it, but what I like the least is the orange barrel extension in front. Gotta have it, but that little extra length in front of the slide affects my draw from Kydex more than I'd have thought.

Looks like the green gas will be a lot cheaper than range ammo right now, but it ain't free. And I learned it can't be shipped 2nd day or next day. I found an Evike store not too far from me in Spring (they say there's one opening in Dallas this year) and they carry an AIM Top (Taiwan) brand that seems like a decent one; a blend of C3H8 and silicon, and I learned that some of the green gas products smell pretty terrible. Since I'll be doing some shooting in an enclosed garage, that makes a difference. This one isn't bad. 600ml can for $11. Not sure yet exactly how many charges I'll get from a can, or what kind of shelf life I can expect if I use it for a few charges and then let it sit for a while. We'll see.

Overall, though, very happy with the purchase.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Why do you have to have the orange tip? The Federal law as I read it says it must have the orange tip for the original sale. So then I assume (we know what that is) that as the consumer you can remove it. Like the tags on pillows.

Topic author
Rafe

Post by Rafe »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:04 pm Why do you have to have the orange tip? The Federal law as I read it says it must have the orange tip for the original sale. So then I assume (we know what that is) that as the consumer you can remove it. Like the tags on pillows.
Wait! What? I don't have to keep those tags on the pillows?
:biggrinjester:

After a little Googling, I think you're completely correct, at least in Texas. The stuff that came with the pistol included:
Airsoft guns are required by law to have the tip (1/4 inch) of the barrel permanently colored in blaze orange. Removal of the orange tip, any warning stickers or protective markings is a violation of Federal law and will void any and all product warranties.
I guess it kinda makes sense not to mess with the orange tip at least until I'm sure I have no warranty issues with the pistol. And it isn't 1/4"; it's 1/2" at its longest point. So I guess maybe there's also the possibility of eventually removing half of it. In truth, though, I'm just whining about the extra 1/2" inch. I'm using a Kydex belt holster from Comp-Tac that rides sort of high, and every once in a while the orange tip bumps the top of the holster as I clear. If I'd slow down a little, stop pretending I'm drawing at a competition, and get better clearance, it would ultimately improve my drawstroke anyway.

The federal regulations seem to be pretty much limited to 15 U.S. Code §5001, which deals with "Commerce of Imitation Firearms." And it really only deals with manufacturing, entering into commerce, shipping, transporting, or receiving of a "toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm." So I guess removing it could be an issue if ever want to ship it, or if maybe I ever (accidentally, of course) wanted to use it for practice at a park on USACE property. A few quick searches through the Texas state codes didn't turn up any reference at all to it.

One of the better analyses I found was this one, from AirsoftDomain.com: https://airsoftdomain.com/orange-tip-removal-airsoft/. He goes into some detail, but it also reminded me of the whole clearly-not-real thing. I plan to use it mainly in my backyard (fenced, but that doesn't mean you can't see through the fence slats, and that a neighbor couldn't potentially see in from an upstairs window) and in my garage (door closed, of course, but that doesn't mean my wife couldn't pull up and activate the opener from the driveway). I'm not particularly worried about a MWAG call to my local constabulary, but still. If it's just me being whiny over an extra half-inch of barrel length...maybe I should just use that as an opportunity to work on my draw and clear leather a little high before I push forward and present.
:thumbs2:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am in the middle of Ft. Worth and Dallas surrounded by a lot of people. I shot my wife's Glock 19X blow back with the green gas yesterday and it is not completely silent. My wife and I decided to keep the orange tip on. If we are in our back yard practicing with her Glock and my 1911 and someone calls the Police thinking it is a gun I would like the orange tip to be showing bright when Irving PD shows up.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Post by srothstein »

carlson1 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:07 pm I am in the middle of Ft. Worth and Dallas surrounded by a lot of people. I shot my wife's Glock 19X blow back with the green gas yesterday and it is not completely silent. My wife and I decided to keep the orange tip on. If we are in our back yard practicing with her Glock and my 1911 and someone calls the Police thinking it is a gun I would like the orange tip to be showing bright when Irving PD shows up.
Are you sure about that last statement? I have always wondered about the intelligence of putting something on the tip of a toy gun that could easily be mistaken for muzzle flash by a person under high stress that might think you were shooting at them?
Steve Rothstein

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

srothstein wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:56 pm
carlson1 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:07 pm I am in the middle of Ft. Worth and Dallas surrounded by a lot of people. I shot my wife's Glock 19X blow back with the green gas yesterday and it is not completely silent. My wife and I decided to keep the orange tip on. If we are in our back yard practicing with her Glock and my 1911 and someone calls the Police thinking it is a gun I would like the orange tip to be showing bright when Irving PD shows up.
Are you sure about that last statement? I have always wondered about the intelligence of putting something on the tip of a toy gun that could easily be mistaken for muzzle flash by a person under high stress that might think you were shooting at them?
This thing is such an ugly orange it couldn’t be mistaken as a flash I promise that is why I came real close to removing it. :lol:

The Forum member Paladin is the one who introduced them to me. It is a great way for me and my wife to practice what we have been taught. Being disabled makes it real hard to go to the gun range.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Interesting that Green Gas has that name since it's propane; a hydrocarbon. I did some looking around and found that there are adapters for sale to use normal 1 lb propane cylinders sold for gas appliances such as heaters, stoves, lanterns, etc. I assume the adapter could be used with the larger cylinders by putting the adapter on the hoses that attach to a 20 lb bottle with the 1 lb cylinder connection on the other end. Of course always use caution when dealing with pressurized flammable gases.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

puma guy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:22 am Interesting that Green Gas has that name since it's propane; a hydrocarbon. I did some looking around and found that there are adapters for sale to use normal 1 lb propane cylinders sold for gas appliances such as heaters, stoves, lanterns, etc. I assume the adapter could be used with the larger cylinders by putting the adapter on the hoses that attach to a 20 lb bottle with the 1 lb cylinder connection on the other end. Of course always use caution when dealing with pressurized flammable gases.
The adapters work well for a small propane cylinder. Please note that Green Gas has a lubricant in it. A good propane adapter will allow you to add lubricant to the propane. This is what I use:

Mad Bull Propane Adapter Version 2 Oil Reservoir

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Paladin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:26 pm
puma guy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:22 am Interesting that Green Gas has that name since it's propane; a hydrocarbon. I did some looking around and found that there are adapters for sale to use normal 1 lb propane cylinders sold for gas appliances such as heaters, stoves, lanterns, etc. I assume the adapter could be used with the larger cylinders by putting the adapter on the hoses that attach to a 20 lb bottle with the 1 lb cylinder connection on the other end. Of course always use caution when dealing with pressurized flammable gases.
The adapters work well for a small propane cylinder. Please note that Green Gas has a lubricant in it. A good propane adapter will allow you to add lubricant to the propane. This is what I use:

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Paladin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:26 pm

Do you find it cheaper using the propane and then the lubricant or just more easier since you use so much. Just curious how the cost off sets buying propane and lubricant versus just the green gas. I do know the green gas is not cheap.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”