Interstate Firearm Shipping ??

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Interstate Firearm Shipping ??

Post by Jumping Frog »

Alright, did somethin’ stupid this morning. Checked out of a hotel in Baton Rouge and left one of my carry guns in the room.

Been so long since I have shipped anything, I forget the FFL rules for the hotel ship me my firearm.

Can they ship it directly to my local FFL, or do I need to find an FFL in BR to accept it and ship it to my FFL here in Houston? Thanks.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

carlson1

Re: Interstate Firearm Shipping ??

Post by carlson1 »

If they feel comfortable they can ship to your FFL. Completely legal. I do Howe we know FFL’s here on the DFW are that will NOT accept from a private party although it is legal for them to do so.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Jumping Frog wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:58 pm Alright, did somethin’ stupid this morning. Checked out of a hotel in Baton Rouge and left one of my carry guns in the room.

Been so long since I have shipped anything, I forget the FFL rules for the hotel ship me my firearm.

Can they ship it directly to my local FFL, or do I need to find an FFL in BR to accept it and ship it to my FFL here in Houston? Thanks.
I have found it easier and cheaper to drop my gun off at my FFL so he can ship it. An FFL can ship handguns via United States postal service priority mail cheaper than I can ship vis UPS. Gun Broker has a list of FFL's for different zip codes. You could look up an FFL near the hotel and talk the hotel into taking the firearm to them. The problem I foresee is the willingness of the hotel to handle the firearm. No matter how you ship it. Bad situation. I did this same thing once while traveling around drag racing. I actually drove over 50-75 miles back to the hotel so I could avoid shipping issues or issues with the hotel retrieving a firearm from a room I just left. Fortunately, I had left the room early morning and they had not cleaned it yet. I just told the desk I left some personal items in the room and they let me go back in and retrieve it.

Here is a link to UPS shipping rules for a hand gun. The hotel will have to be willing to take these exact steps if they ship to your chosen FFL. Speak to your local FFL about what he requires. Some want a copy of the DL in the package if the shipment is not from an FFL.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipp ... earms.page

You are in for something of big hassle here if the hotel does not want to co-operate. They also may add a surcharge for the extra hassle.

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

So Hotel doesn’t want to ship it directly to my local FFL because the gun is loaded and they don’t want the liability of unloading it.

But they are willing to drop the gun off to a local FFL in Baton Rouge to let the FFL unload it and ship it.

So I think this is going to work. Just have to have confirmation from the local FFL that they are willing to do that and how much it will cost.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Jumping Frog wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:25 pm So Hotel doesn’t want to ship it directly to my local FFL because the gun is loaded and they don’t want the liability of unloading it.

But they are willing to drop the gun off to a local FFL in Baton Rouge to let the FFL unload it and ship it.

So I think this is going to work. Just have to have confirmation from the local FFL that they are willing to do that and how much it will cost.
I do not know Louisiana laws, but I am assuming this could have turned out really bad. I am glad it seems to have worked itself out.

Topic author
Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:22 pm
Jumping Frog wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:25 pm So Hotel doesn’t want to ship it directly to my local FFL because the gun is loaded and they don’t want the liability of unloading it.

I do not know Louisiana laws, but I am assuming this could have turned out really bad. I am glad it seems to have worked itself out.
Been a long time since I logged in so sorry for resurrecting a really old message.

I kept running into FFL roadblocks and at the end of the day I took the most direct action. Drove over to Baton Rouge and picked my gun up directly from the hotel manager. Then drove back home. Roughly 10 hours of driving to retrieve my EDC.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Thanks for letting us know. I appreciate the update. Decades ago before CHL when I was still a LEO I left my gun in an outdoor restroom while traveling Colorado. About an hour or so down the road I think realized it and I was panicking all the way back. Went directly to the restroom and there it was setting on the sink. I was a happy camper. That has been the one and only time I left a gun somewhere.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

With firearm prices being so high these days, I would have done the same thing. Long drive but worth it in my humble opinion.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”