Shooting on your own land in Cass County, TX

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
PUCKER
Posts in topic: 3

Shooting on your own land in Cass County, TX

Post by PUCKER »

Anyone here live in / have property in Cass County, TX? The wife and I are noodling around getting some raw/undeveloped land (50 acres or so hopefully) to have some fun with, she's got family in the area. So - the question for y'all that may know - any issues / restrictions with shooting / setting up your own gun range on your property? I'm only looking at non-city land - ie - unincorporated land. Will be riding UTVs all over the creation too, hopefully! Thank you in advance! :tiphat:

PriestTheRunner

Re: Shooting on your own land in Cass County, TX

Post by PriestTheRunner »

PUCKER wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:09 pm Anyone here live in / have property in Cass County, TX? The wife and I are noodling around getting some raw/undeveloped land (50 acres or so hopefully) to have some fun with, she's got family in the area. So - the question for y'all that may know - any issues / restrictions with shooting / setting up your own gun range on your property? I'm only looking at non-city land - ie - unincorporated land. Will be riding UTVs all over the creation too, hopefully! Thank you in advance! :tiphat:
Anything over 10 acres cannot be restricted from firearm use by state law. Thread here: https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=92458
§ 235.022. AUTHORITY TO REGULATE. To promote the public
safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or
otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms on lots that are 10
acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the
county in a subdivision.
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... LG.235.htm

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... bd#p822515

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Appreciate it! :tiphat:

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I'm still confused. So, assuming that you are in a "rural county" (only a small town, no city of any appreciable size) and well outside city limits, what are the rules? Most of what folks have posted relate to suburbs, or counties with large populations. I haven't had any problems, but it's always good to know the law.

PriestTheRunner

K.Mooneyham wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:06 pm I'm still confused. So, assuming that you are in a "rural county" (only a small town, no city of any appreciable size) and well outside city limits, what are the rules? Most of what folks have posted relate to suburbs, or counties with large populations. I haven't had any problems, but it's always good to know the law.
Subdivisions of the state (IE cities, county commissioners, etc) have no authority to regulate the use of firearms on plots larger than 10 acres, unless in a specific carve out of a county larger than 1 million boarding a county of 5 million or more- or within a county of 5 million or more.

Since they don't have that authority, it remains by law up to the state of Texas and is unregulated.

You don't have to be well outside city limits, you can be on a property that borders city limits. The county has authority to regulate any lot smaller than 10 acres. And within a city, the city can regulate and property o any size. With less than 10 acres, you have to check local laws. Large than 10 acres, in the county, you are good to go.

PriestTheRunner

Also, you can't cross a fenceline with your rounds (thats a felony) (§ 62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY), and you cannot shoot in a manner intended or with the potential to cause harm (assault: § 22.01 section 1 if you shoot someone, or § 22.01 section 3 for "Deadly Conduct").

Those are all the rules that apply that I can think of.

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

If this plan all goes according to the way I hope it will, my first purchase will be a tractor with a bucket (maybe a backhoe?)...gotta level a pad for the 5th wheel, make sure it has a nice access road, a great berm for the range, dig ditches for power / water access, etc...I've never thought about buying a tractor in my life...usually it's "how fast and how much power / weight ratio?" :biggrinjester:

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:33 pm Also, you can't cross a fenceline with your rounds (thats a felony) (§ 62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY), and you cannot shoot in a manner intended or with the potential to cause harm (assault: § 22.01 section 1 if you shoot someone, or § 22.01 section 3 for "Deadly Conduct").

Those are all the rules that apply that I can think of.
I sort of thought that went without saying.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:26 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:06 pm I'm still confused. So, assuming that you are in a "rural county" (only a small town, no city of any appreciable size) and well outside city limits, what are the rules? Most of what folks have posted relate to suburbs, or counties with large populations. I haven't had any problems, but it's always good to know the law.
Subdivisions of the state (IE cities, county commissioners, etc) have no authority to regulate the use of firearms on plots larger than 10 acres, unless in a specific carve out of a county larger than 1 million boarding a county of 5 million or more- or within a county of 5 million or more.

Since they don't have that authority, it remains by law up to the state of Texas and is unregulated.

You don't have to be well outside city limits, you can be on a property that borders city limits. The county has authority to regulate any lot smaller than 10 acres. And within a city, the city can regulate and property o any size. With less than 10 acres, you have to check local laws. Large than 10 acres, in the county, you are good to go.
Got it, thank you.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”