Recommendations for a Locking Pistol Box

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 1

Recommendations for a Locking Pistol Box

Post by Crash »

Can anybody recommend a good locking pistol box? I'd like one that has biometric (fingerprint) opening. I'd like one big enough to hold two compact semi-automatics.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Crash

allisji
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Recommendations for a Locking Pistol Box

Post by allisji »

https://gunvault.com/product-category/biometric-safes/

I have a gunvault biometric multivault. It works well. It has a shelf in the middle so there is an upper and lower compartment. It's easily large enough to keep more than one compact handgun on each shelf, or to have two handguns with holsters and spare magazines as well.

The trick for making the fingerprint scanner work well is to have a wide variety of scans for the finger or fingers that you want to use. so if you want to be able to open it with the index finger of either hand you might scan each finger up to 10 times in different angles. I think that it gave pretty good instructions for that, but the point is that if you are in a hurry you might not have enough time to get your finger on the print scanner in the exact perfect way, so you want to make sure that it have the prints on the sides of your fingertip as well as the very tip of the finger.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

allisji wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:31 am https://gunvault.com/product-category/biometric-safes/

I have a gunvault biometric multivault. It works well. It has a shelf in the middle so there is an upper and lower compartment. It's easily large enough to keep more than one compact handgun on each shelf, or to have two handguns with holsters and spare magazines as well.

The trick for making the fingerprint scanner work well is to have a wide variety of scans for the finger or fingers that you want to use. so if you want to be able to open it with the index finger of either hand you might scan each finger up to 10 times in different angles. I think that it gave pretty good instructions for that, but the point is that if you are in a hurry you might not have enough time to get your finger on the print scanner in the exact perfect way, so you want to make sure that it have the prints on the sides of your fingertip as well as the very tip of the finger.
How's the battery life? I have a SV500 with a combination lock that's a few years old. Battery life is so short, I've had to use the key to open it on a couple of occasions. Otherwise the SV500 is great.
Charlie

allisji
Posts in topic: 2

Post by allisji »

I have the gvb200 and it has an ac/dc power supply. plugs into the wall... sure if I needed it during a power outage I would have to use the key to open it. I have the key stored in a fireproof safe close by that uses an electronic combo lock and takes batteries, but I've probably only changed the batteries on it maybe twice in a 7 year period.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I've got combo minivaults and the batteries last over a year.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

madwildcat

Post by madwildcat »

I have two Wyze Gun Safes (lock boxes) and have been impressed with them. It has biometric, code and key options. You can also set it up to notify you if the box is ever opened on your phone and you can even open it remotely if you want (and yes, you can set it up to not allow remote info at all). It also will also notify you that the battery is low via the app or beep. I had two other biometrics previously that I never could get to consistently work. The Wyze one has been way better. I am pretty sure it would fit 2 subs. I have a Glock 17 with extra mags in mine with some room to spare.

https://www.wyze.com/products/wyze-gun-safe

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

I can’t answer your question, but I sure can tell you what NOT to buy. That is the one pictured below.
9C6D3468-041F-42E6-A3F0-8F569FEAB55B.jpeg

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:43 pm I can’t answer your question, but I sure can tell you what NOT to buy. That is the one pictured below.
But at least the stack of $100 bills and the pair of matching 1911s looks really cool in the photo! :???:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Rafe wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:56 pm
carlson1 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:43 pm I can’t answer your question, but I sure can tell you what NOT to buy. That is the one pictured below.
But at least the stack of $100 bills and the pair of matching 1911s looks really cool in the photo! :???:
"rlol"

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

I have one made by Barska. Great battery life. No issues with the scanner. Gave one as a housewarming gift to a friend and he likes it too.
https://smile.amazon.com/BARSKA-Securit ... 37&sr=8-21

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Chemist45 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:55 pm I have one made by Barska. Great battery life. No issues with the scanner. Gave one as a housewarming gift to a friend and he likes it too.
https://smile.amazon.com/BARSKA-Securit ... 37&sr=8-21
For $294 I will be your friend and I just did some remodeling. I am having a housewarming party so do you need my address? :tiphat:

You get what you pay for and I guess that is why the one I bought is no good. I have put the one you posted in my cart and maybe after next month I can get one. It looks a lot better than the one I have.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”