Anyone Else Remember Gibsons?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Anyone Else Remember Gibsons?

Post by carlson1 »

I bought a bow and arrow there. My Dad bought me a .22 from there. It had to be the 70’s. Check out these prices…

crazy2medic

Re: Anyone Else Remember Gibsons?

Post by crazy2medic »

As a predriving teen, me and my buddies would ride our bikes from Bedford to either the Gibson's in Hurst or Euless to buy Pellets for our pellet guns! My Father said he bought several 1917 Enfields from Gibsons in the Early 60s, I have hunted with one he sporterized since I was 15yo, taken most of my deer and an Elk with it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I live in Oak Cliff/SW Dallas. We had one down the street from the house. I don't remember them selling firearms though.

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Have an 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge my Uncle bought me in 1964, no telling how many thousand shells have been through it. Have others bought from Gibson's but that was the first. Last one a model 70 Winchester .308 in 1979 shortly before local store closed. Also bought all my reloading supplies for for pistol, rifles and shotguns there. Sure do miss that old store.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

We have a Gibsons in Weatherford.

Their firearms section is huge, and they sell more guns than anyone else in the area, including Academy and Lonestar.

All the LEO's shop there. Great selection, great service, great people.

It's also a hardware store, clothing store, toy store - like a huge old time general store. I really like shopping there.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

The one near me in East Dallas was a dream store. Good people and good prices, always welcoming everyone. Alas it closed when I was in high school.
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Worked the gun counter at the Gibson's in Garland, summer of 1970 (had to get away from the summer job at Pollock Paper, too hot and tough working conditions, Gibson's was air conditioned). Had a lot of good deals on new as well as milsurp guns. The GCA of 68 was still fairly new and record keeping was a really big deal as it is now. I do not remember the form number of what is now the 4473, but I definitely remember the customer who was filling out the form and did not have a driver's license. His only means of identification were his parole papers and a Social Security card. He was very upset when I told him he could not buy a gun. Another time, I got into an argument with the store manager (not a good thing for a college temp hire for the summer) about the disposition of several milsurp rifles that were missing some parts (mainly Italian Carcanos, but also some Mausers). Some were missing bolts, some front sights, and some just missing a barrel band. He wanted us to destroy them by cutting the receivers with a carbide saw as he believed them to be un-saleable. I tried to tell him that we could easily salvage most of them into complete rifles by mixing parts or ordering parts from various places for (then) only a few dollars. Barring that I offered to buy at least a couple of them for what the company had paid for them. He was adamant that they had to be destroyed. Co-worker and I spent an afternoon out back cutting receivers.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

There’s one in Kerrville. Love shopping there.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

There was one in Texas City and one in Greenville that I visited back in the day. I worked in sporting goods for a chain called Globe Discount City that predated WalMart from '66 to the end of '71 and Gibson's was not really a competitor for the Globe stores in the Houston area, but folks would come in and show an ad for something and we'd match it. We were usually cheaper than all the discount stores that opened K-mart, Woolco and Gemco and toward the end of my days at Globe and I think Target opened in the Woolco location. I have visited the Gibson's in Weatherford several time and they had an impressive sporting goods department. Never been to the one in Kerrville. I'd say the ad in the post is mid to late 70's by the prices.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:59 pm I bought a bow and arrow there. My Dad bought me a .22 from there. It had to be the 70’s. Check out these prices…

Haha... when I was maybe 19 years old, I bought a Mossberg 12 gage pump shotgun at a Gibsons. I think it was just over 100 dollars. I had that gun for years and absolutely whore it out. Ended up giving it to my brother.

I was married at the time and we loved that store. I'd head to sporting goods and the wife would head to housewares and toys. We went to one in Lewisville, just off 35.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Used to live right behind one. Our back gate opened to the parking lot. Would go dumpster diving and come up with lots of cool stuff, some of it still in packaging.

ntexaschl

Post by ntexaschl »

In the mid 1970's, I bought a Marlin 1894C 357/38 Special Lever Action from our local Gibsons.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

ntexaschl wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:43 pm In the mid 1970's, I bought a Marlin 1894C 357/38 Special Lever Action from our local Gibsons.
I purchased a Marlin "thuty thuty " lever action from them in 78-79. Best prices in town.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Are there any Walmart’s that sale guns anymore?

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:33 am Are there any Walmart’s that sale guns anymore?
some still sell rifles and shotguns, no handguns and no evil scary black rifles.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”