Palm-in or Palm-Out Draw from Rear Pocket

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 5

Palm-in or Palm-Out Draw from Rear Pocket

Post by Crash »

I'm righthanded and am going to start carrying a small .380 in the right-hand rear pocket of my jeans. What is the best draw method, palm-in or palm-out?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Crash

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Palm-in or Palm-Out Draw from Rear Pocket

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I'm guessing that a palm-in oriented negligent discharge would be pointed more at muscle, while a palm-out ND might be pointed at tailbone, lumbar, plumbing, etc.

I don't think I'd do either. Corrected version.
Last edited by J.R.@A&M on Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott in Houston »

I would think this would be personal choice. For me, if I was going to carry like this, it would be palm towards my body. It would be easier to not flag myself vs. the other way where it would be possible that I'd flag my leg or body during the draw.

I'll just add, that I'd pretty much never carry this way! lol

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Palm-in is fairly consistent with strong side carry... less new muscle memory to learn... also less chance to have the muzzle pointed at your body while your wrist is "unwinding".
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

J.R.@A&M wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:03 pm I'm guessing that a palm-in oriented negligent discharge would be pointed more at muscle, while a palm-out ND might be pointed at tailbone, lumbar, plumbing, etc.

I don't think I'd do either. Corrected version.
Yeah, I'm not too crazy about it, either, but I'm recovering from an operation that prevents me from carrying it AIWB or in my right front pocket and I'm so clumsy with my left hand I wouldn't be any good at cross-draw or my left front pocket. My only other option is at the 3:30 - 4:00 IWB and I may practice that way for a while, although I'm concerned with printing in that position.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Scott in Houston wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:03 pm I would think this would be personal choice. For me, if I was going to carry like this, it would be palm towards my body. It would be easier to not flag myself vs. the other way where it would be possible that I'd flag my leg or body during the draw.

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about it, either, but I'm recovering from an operation that prevents me from carrying it AIWB or in my right front pocket and I'm so clumsy with my left hand I wouldn't be any good at cross-draw or my left front pocket. My only other option is at the 3:30 - 4:00 IWB and I may practice that way for a while, although I'm concerned with printing in that position.

Crash

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I find 3:30-4:00 IWB comfortable, concealable, and accessible. I tried a few different heights and angles until settling on exactly what works for me, but there is a spot where the whole grip is above my waistband, and the cant allows the grip and barrel to sort of nest around my pelvis. I don't have one, but I would suggest something adjustable like this crossbreed https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/mt2- ... lster.html and work with it until you get that right combination. A good gun belt is critical - if you've been carrying AIWB you may already have that covered.
Good luck!

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott in Houston »

Crash wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:42 pm
Scott in Houston wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:03 pm I would think this would be personal choice. For me, if I was going to carry like this, it would be palm towards my body. It would be easier to not flag myself vs. the other way where it would be possible that I'd flag my leg or body during the draw.

Crash
I pretty much never worry about printing anymore. People just flat out don't see it... almost no matter what. Hope your recovery goes well!

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

I'd agree with all of the points already given, & offer up an additional consideration.

Will you be carrying the .380 in a holster in that back pocket, or will it be free-floating in the pocket? Depending on which handgun you're carrying, it could be catastrophic. I'm not a fan of pocket carry with semi-autos sans a holster, even if it has a safety as the safety may become deactivated.

I would encourage you to try out the 3:30-4:00 o'clock position in a holster & see if it will work within your physical limitations while you're on the mend. If you end up deciding pocket carry is the best option for you, I'd suggest using something that has a stiff double -action trigger for the first shot, with or without a safety ((I'm not a huge fan of safeties on defensive handguns, but that's a decision for you to make)). And please remember to de-cock before attempting to re-holster/re-pocket the gun.

As always, I'd recommend some deliberate dry-fire practice with any new carry position, followed by live fire if you're able to.

The last thing I'll offer up is a reminder to not carry if you're recovery involves pain meds. Pain meds interfere with our cognitive decision making as well as mucking up our tactile skills.

Best of luck with your recovery!

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Boxerrider wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:24 am I find 3:30-4:00 IWB comfortable, concealable, and accessible. I tried a few different heights and angles until settling on exactly what works for me, but there is a spot where the whole grip is above my waistband, and the cant allows the grip and barrel to sort of nest around my pelvis. I don't have one, but I would suggest something adjustable like this crossbreed https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/mt2- ... lster.html and work with it until you get that right combination. A good gun belt is critical - if you've been carrying AIWB you may already have that covered.
Good luck!
I'll give it a try. Thanks for the input.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Mike S wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:27 am I'd agree with all of the points already given, & offer up an additional consideration.

Will you be carrying the .380 in a holster in that back pocket, or will it be free-floating in the pocket? Depending on which handgun you're carrying, it could be catastrophic. I'm not a fan of pocket carry with semi-autos sans a holster, even if it has a safety as the safety may become deactivated.

I would encourage you to try out the 3:30-4:00 o'clock position in a holster & see if it will work within your physical limitations while you're on the mend. If you end up deciding pocket carry is the best option for you, I'd suggest using something that has a stiff double -action trigger for the first shot, with or without a safety ((I'm not a huge fan of safeties on defensive handguns, but that's a decision for you to make)). And please remember to de-cock before attempting to re-holster/re-pocket the gun.

As always, I'd recommend some deliberate dry-fire practice with any new carry position, followed by live fire if you're able to.

The last thing I'll offer up is a reminder to not carry if you're recovery involves pain meds. Pain meds interfere with our cognitive decision making as well as mucking up our tactile skills.

My gun is a Taurus spectrum, so it's always double action. Thanks for your advce--and roger that on the meds.

Crash

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Mike S wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:27 am I'd agree with all of the points already given, & offer up an additional consideration.

I have a serious case of "dunlap disease" (my belly dunlapped over my belt). I carry at the 3:00-3:30 position as that is the only place I can carry and access my weapon with any real speed. I carry my wallet/cell phone case in my back right pocket so I can't carry a handgun there. I have an LCP in .380 but rarely carry it as a main carry option. I realize many a bad guy was dropped by the .380 but 9 MM or 38 +P is about as small a caliber as I feel comfortable with.

Several years back I had a seriously pinched nerve in my neck. Insurance jerked me around for 18 months before approving the recommended surgery. They had me on pain pills that entire time. I could not function without them because the pain would literally put me on my knees. I was so accustomed to them, it really did not affect my judgement. Just the same. I did always worry that if forced to use my weapon, in self defense, if being on pain meds would work against me in court.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

How would you pull your wallet if it were in that pocket? Determine that and use it, you likely have that muscle memory already and should use it. Ideally I would recommend palm in as the booger hook can remain out of the pocket (and off the bang switch) until the draw is complete.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Mike S wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:27 amWill you be carrying the .380 in a holster in that back pocket, or will it be free-floating in the pocket? Depending on which handgun you're carrying, it could be catastrophic.
I second the recommendation of a holster. The are several soft holsters made that have a material like suede on the outside so they will stay in the pocket when you draw. The problem with these is that you cannot truly reholster until you are in a calm area because you need to remove the holster from the pocket (it stays flat if there is no pistol in it holding it open). I carried a North American Arms Guardian 380 that way for a long time.

Another alternative you may not have considered is carrying OWB. When i decided I wanted a larger pistol than the 380, I carried a Glock 43 in a Sneaky Pete holster. The Sneaky Pete is a rectangular holster with a flap so no one can see it is carrying a pistol. I do not recall anyone ever seeing it and recognizing it for being a holster. Most thought it was a tablet carrier or something similar (and that is what I usually told them if they asked what it was). The drawback to a sneaky Pete is that it is slower to draw from than a regular holster, though probably not much different from a back pocket holster.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”