Holosun custom fit to Glock

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Holosun custom fit to Glock

Post by srothstein »

I was at GT Distributors toady and decided to buy a new pistol. I bought a Glock Model 17 Gen 5 because I gave my only full size 9mm to my daughter and wanted to plug the hole in my lineup. Well, I had been thinking about red dot sights and they had one of the MOS models with the Ameriglo night sites.

So I asked them about which red dots they had or would recommend. The salesman pointed out that Holosun was a good brand and had just come out with a new model where you did not need an adapter plate to mount it on the pistol. The factory had designed the base to exactly fit the holes Glock put in for mounting the adapter plates. This makes it colocate the sights with the red dot, once it is sighted in properly. It intrigued me so I bought it. It also comes with a rechargeable battery and a little solar panel to keep it charged. Got it home and found it was really a green dot, not red. Also had a choice of a dot, a circle, or a dot in a circle for the reticle.

Was curious if anyone had heard about this or tried one. It was the first I heard of not needing the adapter plate (pistol came with a set of four plates anyway). Also curious which reticle you would all recommend for initial use. I will probably try all three, but would be interested in your opinions.
Steve Rothstein

carlson1

Re: Holosun custom fit to Glock

Post by carlson1 »

I have one although mine is red. The best thing about Holosun is you don’t have to remove the sight to change batteries. The Holosun’s (not mini’s) have the same foot print as the Trijicon RMR. I have a few Holosun’s and I like the option using 32 MOA circle with the 2 MOA dot. I pick it up quicker with my eyes and it is close to my Eotechs which makes shooting a lot simpler underachieving mind.

I had bought a green one by mistake and took it back exchanged it. Only because I am used to the red even though I am mildly colored blind (if there really is such a thing).

tk1700

Post by tk1700 »

I work in a gun store and we sell lots of the sights you mentioned. It's the Holosun SCS. We sell more Holosun optics than any other brand. Personally I have at least 5 Holosuns. I have them all set to have the circle and dot dot on. The 32 MOA circle allows faster target acquisition while the relatively small, 2 MOA, dot allows for more precision shooting. Two other very beneficial features are the shake awake and battery change without having to remove the sight. I've only had 1 customer try to bring one back and that was for a cracked lens that was his fault.

Green is starting appear in more optics and costs slightly more than red. People with astigmatisms seem to see the green better.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

srothstein wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:30 pm I was at GT Distributors toady and decided to buy a new pistol. I bought a Glock Model 17 Gen 5 because I gave my only full size 9mm to my daughter and wanted to plug the hole in my lineup. Well, I had been thinking about red dot sights and they had one of the MOS models with the Ameriglo night sites.

So I asked them about which red dots they had or would recommend. The salesman pointed out that Holosun was a good brand and had just come out with a new model where you did not need an adapter plate to mount it on the pistol. The factory had designed the base to exactly fit the holes Glock put in for mounting the adapter plates. This makes it colocate the sights with the red dot, once it is sighted in properly. It intrigued me so I bought it. It also comes with a rechargeable battery and a little solar panel to keep it charged. Got it home and found it was really a green dot, not red. Also had a choice of a dot, a circle, or a dot in a circle for the reticle.

Was curious if anyone had heard about this or tried one. It was the first I heard of not needing the adapter plate (pistol came with a set of four plates anyway). Also curious which reticle you would all recommend for initial use. I will probably try all three, but would be interested in your opinions.

I've got a couple of Holosuns and an RMR.

I like the circle reticle for shotguns and either the circle or plain dot for pistols. The circle seems especially fast to get on target, and the dot is better for ranges beyond 10-15 yards.

The dot in a circle works well with rifles giving you the choice of "close enough" with the circled and precision shooting with the dot.

YMMV.

Mine have the "shake awake" feature that turns off the reticle to save battery when the gun has been still for a long period and turns it right back on when you pick it up. I really like that.

Unless you use it exposed outdoors a lot, you'll need to put it in a window every couple of months to let the solar cell recharge the battery.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

JRG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JRG »

I just got my Glock 19X back from being milled for a red dot. They milled it to fit the Holosun 508T so no plate needed. ShootSmart in Grand Prairie is who did the work. They did excellent work. I am very pleased. Got it back ready to shoot in 10 days.

Joe

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

JRG wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:03 pm I just got my Glock 19X back from being milled for a red dot. They milled it to fit the Holosun 508T so no plate needed. ShootSmart in Grand Prairie is who did the work. They did excellent work. I am very pleased. Got it back ready to shoot in 10 days.

Joe
Oh wow! I didn't know Shoot Smart was doing milling.

JRG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JRG »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:40 pm
JRG wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:03 pm I just got my Glock 19X back from being milled for a red dot. They milled it to fit the Holosun 508T so no plate needed. ShootSmart in Grand Prairie is who did the work. They did excellent work. I am very pleased. Got it back ready to shoot in 10 days.

Joe
Oh wow! I didn't know Shoot Smart was doing milling.
Yes sir, they are. they do all the slides on Wednesdays at one of the other locations, Alliance I think. I am happy with their work. $150 to mill it. They will mill it to fit whatever red dot you want.

Joe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”