Battle Belt Question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Battle Belt Question

Post by troglodyte »

I'm considering getting a battle belt...considering....

Honestly I haven't given them much thought. At best I kind of dismissed them when I saw folks using them for training as I try to stay true to how I carry everyday. Even then, for serious training or when I go to training classes I end up wearing my 5.11 pants instead of jeans, using a different OWB holster (although I do EDC it sometimes), +1 or 2 magazine holsters, clip on a TQ, and possibly some other doo-hickey. So my efforts to stay true to my EDC carry during serious training starts getting stretched. In some ways I can see it would be nice to have your training belt set up and ready in the range bag instead of trying to piece all the assorted loose doo-dads together.

I've seen where some folks set them up for "bump in the night" use. I haven't quite figured out that one yet. I get having something you can sling on real fast but without anchoring it to your body (via pants) I don't see that it is much more practical than picking up your gun and light off the bedside table. For me, I don't need to leave my bedroom. I'll slide off the side off the bed and cover the bedroom door while my wife calls 911 and covers the back door. If I was moving across the house to get to kids I may see a little better application. Maybe I'm missing something on how to set them up for home defense or how to make them practical.

I'm not too concerned about TEOTWAWKI scenario but I'll entertain anything you'd like to contribute.

Then there is the whole two-piece, sleeve, pouches, holster, kitchen-sink choices. What works and what doesn't?

Here's your chance to educate me.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Battle Belt Question

Post by FastCarry »

I think theres something to be said about separating reality from fantasy. Many model their collection of items around the idea that getting into a gun fight is is a high possibility. For some, it may be a high possibility, but the key here is separating YOUR reality from fantasy.

Im not one of those people. I dont think ill ever grab a gun belt, 15 mags and armor to head into a gun fight. My guns are to get me out of the fight as soon as possible, if i cant otherwise run before the fight.

My gun belt is for training speed, speed from draw to target and 1st shot, speed to reload and a lot for just having fun besides standing at an indoor stall slowly punching out paper.

I run a dual belt, inner with an outer. Phlster Floodlight OWB for a TLR1 that works with just about every pistol I have. 3 BladeTech STI doublestack mag pouches that fit every kind of mags i use (some loosely, but im not spec ops and acrobatics training so speed is more important than retention) and one Highspeed gear AR pouch. This setup works for me, it does no more or less than I need it to.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”