CZ 97 .45ACP Anyone shoot one?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

CZ 97 .45ACP Anyone shoot one?

Post by puma guy »

I know viewing traffic here on the forum is very low these days compared to the past, but wondered if any one has one of the pistols. I have acquired a CZ 97 .45 ACP and am not at all familiar with that pistol. Seems to be well made, large and very heavy (not really suitable for CCW in my opinion) and just wondered about functionality, reliability, accuracy. etc. Any help/opinion is appreciated. Thanks
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Re: CZ 97 .45ACP Anyone shoot one?

Post by Tex1961 »

While I can't comment on that specific model, It is based on the very popular 75 line, which in my opinion are some of the most highest quality firearms made. I either own or have owned several CZ's and have found them 100% reliable, accurate and quality firearms. Since the 97 has been discontinued, you made a good find.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Tex1961 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:29 pm While I can't comment on that specific model, It is based on the very popular 75 line, which in my opinion are some of the most highest quality firearms made. I either own or have owned several CZ's and have found them 100% reliable, accurate and quality firearms. Since the 97 has been discontinued, you made a good find.
Looking forward to getting it out to the range. I know several people here on the forum shoot CZ 75's. I looked the 97 up on the web and was surprised at the prices they go for. I got this one from a friend who passed away, so I would never part with it regardless whether it's a great shooter. It appears to have been used very little, in fact the magazines look brand new. If I ever make it up your way I'll bring it along.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

puma guy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:29 pm While I can't comment on that specific model, It is based on the very popular 75 line, which in my opinion are some of the most highest quality firearms made. I either own or have owned several CZ's and have found them 100% reliable, accurate and quality firearms. Since the 97 has been discontinued, you made a good find.
Looking forward to getting it out to the range. I know several people here on the forum shoot CZ 75's. I looked the 97 up on the web and was surprised at the prices they go for. I got this one from a friend who passed away, so I would never part with it regardless whether it's a great shooter. It appears to have been used very little, in fact the magazines look brand new. If I ever make it up your way I'll bring it along.
You’d better :lol:

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

puma guy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:55 am I know viewing traffic here on the forum is very low these days compared to the past, but wondered if any one has one of the pistols. I have acquired a CZ 97 .45 ACP and am not at all familiar with that pistol. Seems to be well made, large and very heavy (not really suitable for CCW in my opinion) and just wondered about functionality, reliability, accuracy. etc. Any help/opinion is appreciated. Thanks
I carry a CZ 97 BD as my EDC at this time. As you state, it is one heavy pistol. I replaced the firing pin roll pin due to reports of failure after "some" use. That time was different for different shooters.
I went with a Cajun Gun Works solid pin. The one that comes from the factory is a "c" type pin; not solid and not closed.
I also switched to a full-length guide rod. The removal is just a bit trickier with that length, but I feel more comfortable during the reassembly after cleaning. Again, Cajun Gun Works for the guide rod.

Accuracy is great, the weight dampens the .45ACP recoil very nicely. 10 +1 capacity works well.
CZ is an awesome manufacturer. I've never had a failure and have been carrying it for several years.
It eats every type of .45 round I've tried, with no complaints.

I'm a large fellow (a little over 6' 4" @ around 300 lbs), so this helps me carry a large frame firearm like this. I use a Crossbreed Super Tuck to distribute the weight.
With this setup, I can blouse out my shirt and no one is the wiser. Most folks are not tuned into seeing armed citizens, even with a CZ 97.
However, as noted it's heavy, so it's more likely a better winter carry gun than a Texas summer carry gun.
I switch to a 9mm for the summer, but I miss the .45 when I do. Just more comfortable with that caliber, that 's all.

For me it's a solid choice for CC; I hope it is for you as well. Get a holster that helps distribute the weight on your hip. My Crossbreed SuperTuck is a life saver in that regard. There are other good holsters as well.
A VERY STURDY GUN BELT is a MUST for this firearm. Other wise it will drag your trouser waist down and you'll spend a lot of time hitching up your belt. It's a dead giveaway to concealed carry.
I do have an OWB holster if I want to go that route. It too is a holster with a large 'reach' on my gun belt.

Hope the weapon works for you. Good luck.
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 74novaman »

puma guy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 pm I know several people here on the forum shoot CZ 75's. I looked the 97 up on the web and was surprised at the prices they go for.
I’m a big fan of my CZs.

They stopped making the 97s a while ago and they always made them in lower quantities than the 9mm 75s so I’m not surprised they command a premium now.

Enjoy your new gun!
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

LabRat wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:33 am
puma guy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:55 am I know viewing traffic here on the forum is very low these days compared to the past, but wondered if any one has one of the pistols. I have acquired a CZ 97 .45 ACP and am not at all familiar with that pistol. Seems to be well made, large and very heavy (not really suitable for CCW in my opinion) and just wondered about functionality, reliability, accuracy. etc. Any help/opinion is appreciated. Thanks
I carry a CZ 97 BD as my EDC at this time. As you state, it is one heavy pistol. I replaced the firing pin roll pin due to reports of failure after "some" use. That time was different for different shooters.
I went with a Cajun Gun Works solid pin. The one that comes from the factory is a "c" type pin; not solid and not closed.
I also switched to a full-length guide rod. The removal is just a bit trickier with that length, but I feel more comfortable during the reassembly after cleaning. Again, Cajun Gun Works for the guide rod.

Accuracy is great, the weight dampens the .45ACP recoil very nicely. 10 +1 capacity works well.
CZ is an awesome manufacturer. I've never had a failure and have been carrying it for several years.
It eats every type of .45 round I've tried, with no complaints.

I'm a large fellow (a little over 6' 4" @ around 300 lbs), so this helps me carry a large frame firearm like this. I use a Crossbreed Super Tuck to distribute the weight.
With this setup, I can blouse out my shirt and no one is the wiser. Most folks are not tuned into seeing armed citizens, even with a CZ 97.
However, as noted it's heavy, so it's more likely a better winter carry gun than a Texas summer carry gun.
I switch to a 9mm for the summer, but I miss the .45 when I do. Just more comfortable with that caliber, that 's all.

For me it's a solid choice for CC; I hope it is for you as well. Get a holster that helps distribute the weight on your hip. My Crossbreed SuperTuck is a life saver in that regard. There are other good holsters as well.
A VERY STURDY GUN BELT is a MUST for this firearm. Other wise it will drag your trouser waist down and you'll spend a lot of time hitching up your belt. It's a dead giveaway to concealed carry.
I do have an OWB holster if I want to go that route. It too is a holster with a large 'reach' on my gun belt.

Hope the weapon works for you. Good luck.
Thanks for that valuable info especially on the firing pin roll pin. I'll look up Cajun Gun Works. Did the shorter factory guide rod create any problems? Great review! Thanks

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

74novaman wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:32 am
puma guy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 pm I know several people here on the forum shoot CZ 75's. I looked the 97 up on the web and was surprised at the prices they go for.
I’m a big fan of my CZs.

They stopped making the 97s a while ago and they always made them in lower quantities than the 9mm 75s so I’m not surprised they command a premium now.

Enjoy your new gun!
:thumbs2:

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

puma guy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:24 am
<<snip>>
Thanks for that valuable info especially on the firing pin roll pin. I'll look up Cajun Gun Works. Did the shorter factory guide rod create any problems? Great review! Thanks
No, the shorter factory rod didn't cause any issues, just a personal preference to have a longer one.
Sorry for the delayed response.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

LabRat wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:05 am
puma guy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:24 am
<<snip>>
No, the shorter factory rod didn't cause any issues, just a personal preference to have a longer one.
Sorry for the delayed response.

LabRat
:thumbs2:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”